By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you think the NSO + expansion pack is now worth the 50$/yr?

Is the NSO+ Expansion Pack worth it now for 50$/yr?

Yes, its a great deal/ a steal 7 14.00%

Yes, its worth it 17 34.00%

No, it got better but not... 13 26.00%

Not worth it at all, completely anti-consumer 13 26.00%

Total:50

So after Nintendo added GB & GBA to the expansion pack? Do you now think the expansion pack is worth the 50$/yr? 

Now the service has NES/SNES/Genesis/N64/GB & now GBA on the service totaling to around 200 games. While also having access to DLC like AC,MK8, & Splatoon.

Around the Network

Probably worth 40€ after some more GBA games have been added. Not sure about 50$. It would be a steal if they added Gamecube games.

I think it's at the same time worth it and anti consumer

It's worth it because the price is reasonable to the amount of content you get

But it's anti consumer because it do not allow you to purchase or even subscribe to some games without paying for the others

I love subscriptions, but I dislike them to be mandatory. Imagine you have an album from an artist you really like and you cannot buy them individually because the artist now only release the copies in a bundle with other 20 discs you don't care at all changing 5 times. While it's a good deal (you're getting 20x more music) it still pretty bad because you're still paying 5x to listen to only one of them

Because I am an idiot. I sub to both PS+ and NSO. I don't think either is worth how much they are asking. If it were up to me online play would be free but the games service would be $20 a year.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Kakadu18 said:

Probably worth 40€ after some more GBA games have been added. Not sure about 50$. It would be a steal if they added Gamecube games.

This is why I can see them increasing the price at either the same time or not long after they add that. They'll wanna match Gold and PS+ eventually.

Around the Network

why put GCN games on the subscription when they can remaster and put them on the Switch? Metriod Prime, Baten Kaitos, Pikmin 

我是广州人

It's okay, though it should offer member exclusive discounts like it's competitors do. Sure there's the coupon thing but sometimes you just want one game and don't want to spend $100 at one time. I'd rather have them give generous discounts on games and DLC rather than having DLC in the bundle. If/when it adds DS/GCN/Wii games it'll be a great value, even without the discounts that its competition gives.

Also, would be nice if they added gens 1-3 of Pokemon and have it be compatible with Pokemon Home.

Last edited by tsogud - on 18 February 2023

Nope. It's a terrible rip-off still, like the vast majority of subscriptions.

yes of course it's a fantastic deal at this point. Only reason it was considered not good when it first launched was there weren't enough games on the Expansion Pack at launch and the N64 emulator was bad. Within a few months the emulator was fixed, and by end of 2022 there were a good amount of N64 and Genesis games, plus the Switch game DLC's included. At that point it was totally worth it.

Then they added GoldenEye!
Then they added GB to the basic subscription plus GBA to the Expansion Pack.

If it had launched with all the N64 and Genesis games it has on it now nobody remotely serious would have even thought to ever complain about the price. Right now only people still complaining are just those people who refuse to stop complaining just cuz they've created an identity around complaining about it.

At this point its a steal. $50/year for everything on it today is a steal, and its only gonna get better once the N64, Genesis, GB, and GBA libraries get filled. $60 is probably a better price point with everything on there now, but hopefully they'll keep it at only $50 through the next-gen lifecycle as well, after all who doesn't love a great deal!

Slownenberg said:

If it had launched with all the N64 and Genesis games it has on it now nobody remotely serious would have even thought to ever complain about the price. Right now only people still complaining are just those people who refuse to stop complaining just cuz they've created an identity around complaining about it.

There are still valid criticisms of the NSO service and many people don't like the idea of not "owning" (at least digitally) a game. Not everyone is into retro games. Speaking as a Nintendo fan, I can def see why someone would complain about it. Compared to the competition, NSO's big saving grace is it's annual price point. And even that will most likely go up next gen as they add more things to the service.