By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Direct tomorrow (February 8th) - 2 PM PST / 11PM in Europe

Norion said:
Mar1217 said:

Not necessarily. It's obvious that Nintendo will release other first party games during the 2nd half this year.

Trying to use the pattern behavioral argumentation for a company that is known to break said patterns whenever they feel like doesn't mean much either.

Not only that but Nintendo has increasingly kept the announcement of said new games to their release date closer and closer so it goes to say, they don't feel the need to rush announcements out when we prolly have a summer Direct to go through this year,which will detail the 2nd half new releases.

Yes it's obvious, it's not like I said there's no more unknown games coming. The 2nd half has Pikmin 4 so far and I expect it to also have Metroid Prime 4 and a couple other things that are currently unannounced. 2024 will also naturally have at least a few things. I'm just saying that the lack of new announcements combined with the Switch's age is a sign they're transitioning to the successor currently.

Welp, I guess we weren't much at odds then because I acknowledge the transition to the next generation in my first post, at the end. Lol, sorry if this was confusing.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

That was kind of meh for me.

It was nice to get an update on some games like Octopath and TOTK, but there was nothing newly announced that I'm super interested in.

Biggest thing for me was the Gameboy games which really should have been released way earlier. And that's mainly because I never finished Kirby Tilt and Tumble, and I think I'd have to buy an actual gameboy color or something to really play it.

IcaroRibeiro said:

Playing the Octopath Travaler 2 demo

You can pick any protagonist to play the first 3 hours. I choose Temenos, the cleric

The game seems to preserve most of the core mechanics of the first one, looks absolutely stunning from graphical standpoint and the OST seems to be awesome

I hope this game to be a step forward in terms of story and character interactions. The first one was sorely lacking in this point.

Oof, to wonder now if I play the Sea of Stars Demo first or get right into Octopath Traveler II demo tonight ...

Anywoo, after looking back at the Direct. I'd say the simple announcement of the GB/GBA on NSO constitute for an excellent direct already. There was a lot I enjoyed in there even though there might've been a lack in big new game announcements (appart the Level 5 stuff)

JWeinCom said:

It was nice to get an update on some games like Octopath and TOTK, but there was nothing newly announced that I'm super interested in.

Biggest thing for me was the Gameboy games which really should have been released way earlier. And that's mainly because I never finished Kirby Tilt and Tumble, and I think I'd have to buy an actual gameboy color or something to really play it.

I guess the gyroscope inside the Switch controller will make the play possible at least. I'm glad so much of Kirby's spin off games history has been at least preserved through the NSO.

Mar1217 said:
JWeinCom said:

I guess the gyroscope inside the Switch controller will make the play possible at least. I'm glad so much of Kirby's spin off games history has been at least preserved through the NSO.

Could have worked on 3DS at least. I think the Wii U had gyro as well if I'm not mistaken. So who knows why they didn't do it before, but glad I'll finally be able to finish it.

Hopefully they can get Wario Ware Twisted on there too.

Around the Network

Yeah just the GB, GBA, Metroid Prime, and Zelda video was all it took to make it a great Direct. The fact that there was a ton of other stuff was just icing on the cake.

I didnt watch the show live but read the highlights.

Love what I saw.

Still waiting for Zelda TP/WW to come out on Switch :(

Slownenberg said:
Norion said:

Yes it's obvious, it's not like I said there's no more unknown games coming. The 2nd half has Pikmin 4 so far and I expect it to also have Metroid Prime 4 and a couple other things that are currently unannounced. 2024 will also naturally have at least a few things. I'm just saying that the lack of new announcements combined with the Switch's age is a sign they're transitioning to the successor currently.

Well yeah of course they are transitioning to the successor. Whether the successor is 12+ months out (2024) or 24-33 months out (2025) they no doubt have numerous next-gen games well into development at this point.

But that doesn't mean they aren't working on finishing up a bunch of current gens games this year and next year. There was no reason to expect them to announce a bunch of stuff for later in the year, as they will use later Directs to do that. They just announced a ton of games for the next few months.

Did you not read the bolded part? Your 2nd paragraph is acting like it's not there. I didn't expect a bunch of stuff for later in the year to get announced, I just acknowledged the lack of first party announcements and what that probably means and you're acting like I said that the Switch isn't gonna have anymore games announced for it. I literally said right there that 2023 will have a couple more announced and that 2024 will have at least a few.

Last edited by Norion - on 08 February 2023

Norion said:
Slownenberg said:

Well yeah of course they are transitioning to the successor. Whether the successor is 12+ months out (2024) or 24-33 months out (2025) they no doubt have numerous next-gen games well into development at this point.

But that doesn't mean they aren't working on finishing up a bunch of current gens games this year and next year. There was no reason to expect them to announce a bunch of stuff for later in the year, as they will use later Directs to do that. They just announced a ton of games for the next few months.

Did you not read the bolded part? Your 2nd paragraph is acting like it's not there. I didn't expect a bunch of stuff for later in the year to get announced, I just acknowledged the lack of first party announcements and what that probably means and you're acting like I said that the Switch isn't gonna have anymore games announced for it. I literally said right there that 2023 will have a couple more announced and that 2024 will have at least a few.

haha. I mean I was just saying there wasn't a lack of new announcements. A ton of stuff was just announced for the next few months. Just like I'm sure a ton of stuff will be announced in future Directs for the second half of the year.

As far as first party specifically, Nintendo is only one company, they never have a ton of first party games coming out in any 6 month period. And we just happened to already know most of what was coming. First half of this year: Fire Emblem already came out, we already knew about Kirby, Zelda, I dunno if Bayonetta Origins counts as first party but if so then already knew about that, and Pikmin (technically second half since July), Advance Wars we knew about but its release had been delayed indefinitely since a year ago so it actually being released was a new announcement, Prime remaster was a new announcement, and then several new expansion packs were announced, as well as the next MK booster pack shown off which obviously was in the schedule, in addition to GB and GBA being announced and added. I would say that is a lot of things for first party in the first half of the year, so I just don't see the correlation between lots of stuff hitting this half-year but a lot of it was at least already announced if not release dates given, with the implication you were making that things are slowing down for the Switch - when they clearly aren't given all the stuff hitting this winter/spring.

Just pointing out obviously they've been having teams work on next-gen games for probably a couple years now (I would have to assume a next-gen 3D Mario and MK are well along in development at this point, in addition to other games), but there aren't any signs yet of slowing down Switch releases.

That's all.

:)

Cheers

Slownenberg said:
Norion said:

haha. I mean I was just saying there wasn't a lack of new announcements. A ton of stuff was just announced for the next few months. Just like I'm sure a ton of stuff will be announced in future Directs for the second half of the year.

As far as first party specifically, Nintendo is only one company, they never have a ton of first party games coming out in any 6 month period. And we just happened to already know most of what was coming. First half of this year: Fire Emblem already came out, we already knew about Kirby, Zelda, I dunno if Bayonetta Origins counts as first party but if so then already knew about that, and Pikmin (technically second half since July), Advance Wars we knew about but its release had been delayed indefinitely since a year ago so it actually being released was a new announcement, Prime remaster was a new announcement, and then several new expansion packs were announced, as well as the next MK booster pack shown off which obviously was in the schedule, in addition to GB and GBA being announced and added. I would say that is a lot of things for first party in the first half of the year, so I just don't see the correlation between lots of stuff hitting this half-year but a lot of it was at least already announced if not release dates given, with the implication you were making that things are slowing down for the Switch - when they clearly aren't given all the stuff hitting this winter/spring.

Just pointing out obviously they've been having teams work on next-gen games for probably a couple years now (I would have to assume a next-gen 3D Mario and MK are well along in development at this point, in addition to other games), but there aren't any signs yet of slowing down Switch releases.

That's all.

:)

Cheers

To be more clear I'm referring to just new game announcements, not stuff like DLC or things previously known about like Advance Wars so only the Prime remaster out of what you listed fits that. I don't think things are slowing down for the Switch right now but I do think that the lack of new first party game announcements in this direct is a sign that'll happen before much longer but we'll see I suppose.