By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Ultimate Consoles Showdown 2023 |Completed|

Didn't expect Switch to overtake Wii2010 this early (but I don't really follow release news so at the begining of the year I didn't know TotK was coming out). It should track with or slightly ahead of Wii for now IMO but unless there is a big release or promotion I don't know about yet I think it might lose in the end due to Wii's huge December..... Approx. 17m for the year.

PS5: Well it's going to depend on holiday supply of course... PS consoles historically don't have quite as big a holiday boost as Ninty/MS, but demand still seems to be high enough to sell what they send out. If the first quarter's 6mil shipment is indicative of what they can manufacture, that's 24mil shipped for the year... this doesn't mean 24mil sales as the supply first had to catch up to demand, but I think it could fairly easily beat PS4s record...... Approx. 22m for the year (keeping the ~10% lead it currently has)

Around the Network

Numbers and charts have been updated with WEEKs 27, 28, 29 and 30 for every comparison!

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

Numbers and charts have been updated with WEEKs 31, 32, 33 and 34 for every comparison!

Charts have been updated to glorious 3K resolution! (I tried 4 and even 6K, however they become more than 500KB and the site doesn't allow it)

Numbers and charts have been updated with WEEKs 35, 36, 37, 38 and 39 for every comparison!

New poll was added! Vote now!

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 23 October 2023

Numbers and charts have been adjusted and updated with WEEKs 40, 41, 42, and 43 for every comparison!

Around the Network

I'm late for this thread but I think we will have PS5 confortably ahead of Switch and seems like Holiday it may even open more of a gap, Switch will likely be below Wii on the selected year, PS5 should be ahead of PS4 selected year if Sony target is to be met this year should be closer to 25M sold than to 20M, and Series will likely be below X1 on both 3rd year on the market.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

I'm late for this thread but I think we will have PS5 confortably ahead of Switch and seems like Holiday it may even open more of a gap, Switch will likely be below Wii on the selected year, PS5 should be ahead of PS4 selected year if Sony target is to be met this year should be closer to 25M sold than to 20M, and Series will likely be below X1 on both 3rd year on the market.

Yep, you are right. That's why I just edited the comparisons now, most notably the charts, not the tables, I added third competitor on them so now they are:

• Nintendo Switch vs Nintendo Wii'10 (17.2M) vs PS3'11 (14.7M)
  • PlayStation 5 vs PlayStation 4'17 (19.8M) vs NSW'21 (24M)
  • XBOX Series S/X vs XBOX ONE'16 (9.6M) vs XB360'06 (6.8M)

Also, in case you are late for this thread you can check my other thread, that it is impossible to be late for, since it is Lifetime one: Lifetime Console Showdown

I will be updating that one with the month of October, shortly.

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 23 November 2023

XtremeBG said:
DonFerrari said:

Yep, you are right. That's why I just edited the comparisons now, most notably the charts, not the tables, I added third competitor on them so now they are:

• Nintendo Switch vs Nintendo Wii'10 (17.2M) vs PS3'11 (14.7M)
  • PlayStation 5 vs PlayStation 4'17 (19.8M) vs NSW'21 (24M)
  • XBOX Series S/X vs XBOX ONE'16 (9.6M) vs XB360'06 (6.8M)

Also, in case you are late for this thread you can check my other thread, that it is impossible to be late for, since it is Lifetime one: Lifetime Console Showdown

I will be updating that one with the month of October, in a few hours.

Thank you and congrats for the work.

It is a cool idea for next year to do similar, based on your projections what would be ceiling and flooring of the sales and make the comparison with two systems to keep the object of interest between them =]

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Why is this even a question

BiON!@ 

hellobion2 said:

Why is this even a question

Might need to be more specific, there is no question in the title & there are multiple comparisons in the thread... However if you are talking about the first comparison between PS5 & Switch, this thread was made in Jan before Sony confirmed their intention to ship >6m PS5 in Q1 alone.