By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NS Sells 121M, PS5 Sales Up 36% Year-on-Year - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Dec 25-31

For those wondering. When Nintendo and Sony release their earnings reports and reveal shipment figures I will do any necessary adjustments. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

It was a delight to look at the heated threads during the Holiday season of Nov to Dec.

It'll be interesting to see how each consoles will fare early on post holiday season cuz I fear quite the drop for one of these due to the weak software presentation this far. There's just no real momentum going for it at the moment.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

I am going over the latest VGChartz estimates and gaming news over on Twitch. I will be checking out Hi-Fi Rush afterwards as well.

https://www.twitch.tv/trunkswd

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

ShadowLink93 said:

So Vgchartz estimates for the Quarter are:

NSW: 8.17 million
PS4: 6.63 million
XBS: 3.74 million

I hope NSW was undertracked because that is a 2.5 million decline from the same quarter last year.

I don't think the decline was that big since the shipments should be higher than sellthrough by more than a million in that quarter.

PotentHerbs said:
Slownenberg said:

PS5 in its second full year only selling 13m...ouch! I figured it would at least do over 15m. What happened to the millions of systems they had stocked heading into the Fall?? Just demand wasn't there? Not a great sign for PS5 going forward. Or did they actually sell them but the rest of their year was so low the year figures are still bad?

They sold them lol. You might want to look at how abysmal PS5 stock levels were for the first half of 2022 to find your answer. 

lol okay, I guess I didn't realize just how god awful PS5 was doing rest of the year haha

This year should be interesting to watch for PS5 as presumably supply will be plentiful so we'll get to see how much has been lack of demand for the system vs lack of supply. If it has just been lack of supply holding it down then it'll probably go up to the 18m/19m levels that PS4 was hitting during its peak years.

Around the Network

If you missed the Game News Roundup it is now live on YouTube. I go over the latest VGChartz estimates and gaming news from the last couple of days.

ShadowLink93 said:

So Vgchartz estimates for the Quarter are:

NSW: 8.17 million
PS4: 6.63 million
XBS: 3.74 million

I hope NSW was undertracked because that is a 2.5 million decline from the same quarter last year.

The 10.67 figure was shipped not sold through.

Also, October 2022 was down a lot compared to October 2021, And each week of November-December saw a decrease too. 

Link to the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch 2022 Sales Comparison Charts Through December 31

Here we see data representing the global sales through to consumers and change in sales performance of the three current platforms (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch) and three legacy platforms (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo 3DS) over comparable periods for 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022. Also shown is the market share for each of the consoles over the same periods.

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

Market Share (Same Periods Covered)

2019 – (Week ending January 12 to January 4)

2020 – (Week ending January 11 to January 2)

2021 – (Week ending January 9 to January 1)

2022 – (Week ending January 8 to December 31)

"Year to date" sales for 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 sales are shown in series at the top of the table and then just below a comparison of 2022 versus 2021 and 2022 versus 2020 is displayed.  This provides an easy-to-view summary of all the data.

Total Sales and Market Share for Each Year

Microsoft

• Xbox Series X|S
    • 9.29 million units sold year-to-date
    • Up year-on-year 1,286,976 units (+16.1%)
  • Xbox One
    • 0.03 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 70,539 units (-71.8%)

Nintendo

• Nintendo Switch
    • 19.59 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 4,542,656 units (-18.8%)

Sony

• PlayStation 5
    • 13.64 million units sold year-to-date
    • Up year-on-year 921,736 units (7.2%)
  • PlayStation 4
    • 0.48 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 1,947,727 (-80.3%)

So Switch finishes the year just shy of 20 million and down less than 20% YOY, (it was around 30% down early in 2022) very robust performance for its 6th calendar year.
It also managed to win NA this week, which is nice to see given the heated three way race there.

Link to the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Launch Sales Comparison Through Week 112

This weekly series compares the aligned launch sales of the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch.

It should be noted the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S had a worldwide launch, while the PlayStation 5 launch was split over the course of two weeks. Also, the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017, while the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launched during the holidays in November 2020.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Global:

1. Switch: 33,368,973
  2. PS5: 30,626,671
  3. XSX|S: 20,361,136

Through the first 112 weeks available worldwide the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 2.74 million units units and is 13.01 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 10.27 million units.

The Switch has sold 33.37 million in 112 weeks worldwide, while the PS5 sold 30.63 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 20.36 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 112 weeks, the Switch is in the lead. The Switch has a 39.6 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 36.3 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 24.1 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch US:

1. PS5: 11,964,593
  2. Switch: 11,618,448
  3. XSX|S: 9,705,252

Through the first 112 weeks available in the US the PlayStation 5 is ahead of the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 0.35 million units and is 2.26 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 1.91 million units.

The PS5 has sold 11.96 million in 112 weeks in the US, while the Switch sold 11.62 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 9.71 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 112 weeks, the PS5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 35.9 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 34.9 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 29.2 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Europe (111 weeks):

1. PS5: 9,478,447
  2. Switch: 8,518,998
  3. XSX|S: 5,363,051

The PlayStation 5 has been available for one week less than the Xbox Series X|S in Europe. After 111 weeks the PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 0.96 million units and is 4.12 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 3.16 million units.

The PS5 has sold 9.45 million in 111 weeks in Europe, while the Switch sold 8.52 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 5.36 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 111 weeks, the PlayStation 5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 40.5 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 36.5 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 23.0 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Japan:

1. Switch: 8,013,576
  2. PS5: 2,438,004
  3. XSX|S: 402,888

Through the first 112 weeks available in Japan the Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S by a wide margin. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 5.58 million units and is 7.61 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 2.04 million units.

The Switch has sold 8.01 million units in 112 weeks in Japan, while the PS5 has sold 2.44 million units, and the Xbox Series X|S 0.40 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 112 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 73.8 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 22.5 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 3.7 percent.