By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - (PSA) Position Your PS5 Console Horizontally to Avoid Damage

PS5 looks horrible on its side. I hate this.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Leynos said:

PS5 looks horrible on its side. I hate this.

The action figures help.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Not really sure how much stock to put into this. I've had mine since launch and no issues so far but I did decide to put it horizontally just to be safe. Agree with others here, it indeed is very ugly laying down horizontally.

I remember reading that some older consoles with optical drives or hard drives could have issues after enough use, where changing from vertical to horizontal or vice versa, could lead to drive issues due to how the bearings wear differently depending on the original positioning. Sounded as though it was only a minor concern and didn't happen very often.

I've never changed a devices layout once placed and I'd guess that's typically the case for most people, so the possibility of having that issue seems unlikely in the first place.

Tolerances today might be tight enough that's no longer a concern, maybe, maybe not. Another thing to consider as a possibility if you change your consoles orientation.

What if you lay it upside down?

Around the Network
KratosLives said:

What if you lay it upside down?

It would likely make it more difficult to use the stand, but I say go for it and keep us up to date.  You can be our test subject.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

I don't have the space to have it positioned vertically anyway but it's good to know that mine has been placed the "right" way from the start.

Signature goes here!

Stock not put into this when...

A. This is extremely rare.

B. https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/standing-your-ps5-up-vertically-isnt-going-to-kill-it-4294689#:~:text=Indeed%20there's%20no%20evidence%20suggesting,permanent%20damage%20to%20the%20hardware.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Yeah calling FUD on this.

Only two reports of this 'major issue'. Cod3r and a sus French guy; that looks like he squeezed a tube of liquid metal over the PS5's motherboard (lol?). This Youtuber even admits he didn't even check that if it was tampered with previously - which he has experience dealing with. And is easy to tell from the warranty seal and wear.

Then there's this other Ytuber, who did some investigation of her own -

There's 30 million units of these sold to customers and no repair workshops have reported this being a thing. So its.. not.

Last edited by hinch - on 12 January 2023

hinch said:

Yeah calling FUD on this.

Only two reports of this 'major issue'. Cod3r and a sus Italian guy; that looks like he squeezed a tube of liquid metal over the PS5's motherboard (lol?). This Youtuber even admits he didn't even check that if it was tampered with previously - which he has experience dealing with. And is easy to tell from the warranty seal and wear.

Then there's this other Ytuber, who did some investigation of her own -

There's 30 million units of these sold to customers and no repair workshops have reported this being a thing. So its.. not.

Exactly, just FUD and fake outrage.