By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - (PSA) Position Your PS5 Console Horizontally to Avoid Damage

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

I was doubting this and said fuck it , i put it vertical. After like 5 minutes of playing elden ring a loud noise like a moan come from inside it , i look at it and it ejaculated all over the stand , its everywhere...

Seriously? Post pictures.

Around the Network
ironmanDX said:

You got some sources? I read this that was a very... Pro xbox site and didn't take much stock in it.

Quite like the people vaping into the series X at launch.

You believe that VGChartz is a very pro Xbox site?  I think this place is reasonably well balanced.  But, to the extent that it is out of balance, it definitely isn't slanted in favor of Xbox. 

Ah liquid metal. I did so much research on it when I was trying to get my gaming laptop temperatures down. I can see why Sony went down this path as it can bring temperatures down 15-20 degrees more compared to other thermal pastes.

In the end I opted to just turn off turbo boost and under volt the CPU as the biggest concern was that it would leak everywhere. The leaking wouldn't happen when sitting on a desk but rather form me taking it around in my backpack whilst traveling.

There is merit in going down the liquid metal path in future laptop designs, but it needs to be absolutely leak proof long term.

VAMatt said:
ironmanDX said:

You got some sources? I read this that was a very... Pro xbox site and didn't take much stock in it.

Quite like the people vaping into the series X at launch.

You believe that VGChartz is a very pro Xbox site?  I think this place is reasonably well balanced.  But, to the extent that it is out of balance, it definitely isn't slanted in favor of Xbox. 

Ah no. I mistyped. Been here since 08 and primarily play on xbox. I'm aware. 

I meant to say that I first heard about this from a pro xbox site and didn't really consider it to be any more than a rumour or a 1 in a million case.

The Google search images provided doesn't help either tbh. They're all likely publishing their articles from the actual source that I wanted to read.

I wanted to know where this came from... And why now? All of a sudden. Just odd, is all. 

ironmanDX said:
VAMatt said:

Ah no. I mistyped. Been here since 08 and primarily play on xbox. I'm aware. 

I meant to say that I first heard about this from a pro xbox site and didn't really consider it to be any more than a rumour or a 1 in a million case.

The Google search images provided doesn't help either tbh. They're all likely publishing their articles from the actual source that I wanted to read.

I wanted to know where this came from... And why now? All of a sudden. Just odd, is all. 

Just like any product defect, when more and more fail the more and ore sites pick up the story.

Here is an example of it from 3 months ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdyVjvUjfXo

Around the Network

Lmao, aged well this thread

Really hope this is fixed on the rumored refresh model that is supposed to release in September, PS5's aesthetic only works in vertical, looks like shit when turned on it's side. I'd have to measure but I'm pretty sure I don't even have the shelf space needed to turn it horizontal, would be tight fit for sure. PS5 is what, 15 inches tall? 

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

Exactly, this was squashed quite quickly. 

Blood_Tears said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

The only thing I can find that was debunked is that some people were thinking that leaks were possibly occurring inside of brand new unopened PS5's while being stored on shelves or transport in the vertical position.  I didn't even know that was a thing and never mentioned it in the thread.  

As far as I know, Playstation still has yet to comment on the issue.

If either one of you have a link that shows that anything I brought up has been squashed or debunked, please provide. I've looked and am unable to find it.  I could be over looking it though. 

Thanks.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

DroidKnight said:
Blood_Tears said:

The only thing I can find that was debunked is that some people were thinking that leaks were possibly occurring inside of brand new unopened PS5's while being stored on shelves or transport in the vertical position.  I didn't even know that was a thing and never mentioned it in the thread.  

As far as I know, Playstation still has yet to comment on the issue.

If either one of you have a link that shows that anything I brought up has been squashed or debunked, please provide. I've looked and am unable to find it.  I could be over looking it though. 

Thanks.

Same. From what I read, the original source of this report, a guy who runs a repair shop, said people mistook him and thought he was saying that brand new PS5's were coming out of the box with liquid metal that had already leaked out. He was referring to consoles he has received in his repair shop which had been used for a year or more in vertical mode, then shorted out and the owners brought them in to see if he could fix them, and he was discovering liquid metal that had overheated, dripped down via gravity in vertical mode, and then hardened further down the motherboard, causing electrical shorts. This seems like a definite possible issue with launch model PS5's if you use them in vertical mode. May not be all that widespread, but it's definitely something to be mindful of, you may be at risk of an issue in vertical mode, especially in the US where consoles only come with a 1 year warranty instead of 3 years like many other countries, you are up shit creek if you use your console in vertical mode for the first year and then this happens after the warranty expires. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 11 January 2023