By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - (PSA) Position Your PS5 Console Horizontally to Avoid Damage

The PS5 Disk and Diskless versions have been in the market for a little over 2 years and problems are starting to arise with consumers that game with their console in the vertical position.  Many repair shops are reporting that the liquid metal that is used for cooling is leaking from its containment and spreading onto the motherboard and later hardens on it when it cools down.  This is leading to electrical shorts that are causing units to fail.  

This problem does not appear to be happening while the console is in the horizontal position.  

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network

You got some sources? I read this that was a very... Pro xbox site and didn't take much stock in it.

Quite like the people vaping into the series X at launch.

Horizontal position looks hella ugly. You sure it's not some one off?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

I didn't read through all the articles, but saw that the news was popping up all over the place.

Around the Network

Hope anyone that has this issue has an extended warranty, or maybe Sony themselves will extend it if it's a big issue. Luckily never had a console break before, not even the 360 somehow even though it sounded like a jet engine.

ice said:

Hope anyone that has this issue has an extended warranty, or maybe Sony themselves will extend it if it's a big issue. Luckily never had a console break before, not even the 360 somehow even though it sounded like a jet engine.

I lost 2 original Xbox 360's and a fat PS3.

DroidKnight said:
ice said:

I lost 2 original Xbox 360's and a fat PS3.

What a coincidence, same with me. Worst gen for HW ever (and debatably SW.)

I've had mine vertically since I bought it almost a year ago. No issue but I will now place it horizontally just in case

Well that ruins the aesthetic I had going in my limited space. God fucking shit dammit. I turned it horizontal. Boy it looks like shit this way.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!