By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox OpenCritic Prediction League - 2023 Edition

I guess I'm used to games getting shafted, it's a nice surprise to see these games review better than expected. But yeah the plus side is, it's anyone's game still, so any newbies wanna join have a fair shot lol

Around the Network

Lol, Goldeneye still only has 2 reviews. Not surprised personally, I didn't care in the slightest about it. Nice to see Hi-Fi Rush at a 90 (as of typing this). Looks like an early GOTY contender.

NobleTeam360 said:

Lol, Goldeneye still only has 2 reviews. Not surprised personally, I didn't care in the slightest about it. Nice to see Hi-Fi Rush at a 90 (as of typing this). Looks like an early GOTY contender.

Can Microsoft get three 90s?

• Hi-Fi Rush (if it holds).
  • Forza Motorsport.
  • Starfield.

I think 2021 was 2 with Forza Horizon 5 and Flight Simulator.

Wonder how many 90s is the max that Microsoft has achieved in a single year.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 01 February 2023

Ryuu96 said:
NobleTeam360 said:

Can Microsoft get three 90s?

• Hi-Fi Rush (if it holds).
  • Forza Motorsport.
  • Starfield.

I think 2021 was 2 with Forza Horizon 5 and Flight Simulator.

Wonder how many 90s is the max that Microsoft has achieved in a single year.

Definitely a possibility. Would be awesome for MS to get three 90's in a single year. 

I think a part of HFR's high score is the shadow drop. If Microsoft showed a trailer for that 2 years ago I feel like it doesnt score that high.

Glad to see it starting 2023 nicely though.

Around the Network

I was going to predict an 87-88 for HFR, but you peer pressuring mofos influenced me out of it.

Considering the Redfall previews are largely positive, going to raise my prediction by 2 points from 82 -----> 84.

Dang, we mostly way overpredicted on Minecraft Legends, certainly looked like better than a 72 game on the February digital showcase.

After the recent Redfall framerate controversy, I'm going to lower my prediction back down to 81, it's going to get dunked on by critics who care about technical performance, that will likely take at least 4 or 5 points off of it's overall score.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 14 April 2023

shikamaru317 said:

Dang, we mostly way overpredicted on Minecraft Legends, certainly looked like better than a 72 game on the February digital showcase.

After the recent Redfall framerate controversy, I'm going to lower my prediction back down to 80, it's going to get dunked on by critics who care about technical performance, that will likely take at least 4 or 5 points off of it's overall score.

To me, bad technical performance is issues with bugs, crashes, and things of that nature. Even if it's 30fps at launch, as long as it's a stable 30fps with no bugs/crashes, and then most importantly, the game turns out to be ACTUALLY good, it shouldn't dock too many points, if any since reviewers still go over the 30fps option that games have available. 

So as long as Redfall is good at launch, I think it'll be mid-80s. Pretty much all Arkane games review incredibly well, they just don't sell well, and because of the marketing and PR blunders this game has had, it'll most likely be another Arkane title that delivers but underwhelms in sales. 

gtotheunit91 said:
shikamaru317 said:

After the recent Redfall framerate controversy, I'm going to lower my prediction back down to 80, it's going to get dunked on by critics who care about technical performance, that will likely take at least 4 or 5 points off of it's overall score.

To me, bad technical performance is issues with bugs, crashes, and things of that nature. Even if it's 30fps at launch, as long as it's a stable 30fps with no bugs/crashes, and then most importantly, the game turns out to be ACTUALLY good, it shouldn't dock too many points, if any since reviewers still go over the 30fps option that games have available. 

So as long as Redfall is good at launch, I think it'll be mid-80s. Pretty much all Arkane games review incredibly well, they just don't sell well, and because of the marketing and PR blunders this game has had, it'll most likely be another Arkane title that delivers but underwhelms in sales. 

I hope you are right, but I was remembering the last game to be limited to 30 fps on consoles, Gotham Knights, and I went back and looked at it's reviews, and many of it's lowest reviews specifically cite the low framerate as one of the issues that deducted points from their scores. Admittedly Gotham Knights had some drops even below 30 fps, while Redfall will presumably be locked 30 fps on quality mode, but I definitely see technically oriented critics deducting points for having 30 fps only on release.