By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - List of Games You've Beaten 2023

Jumpin said:

Seriously, I understand why an obscure simulation might not be updated for modern consoles, but why the fuck is Chrono Trigger stuck way back on Wii? The time distance of its last release is now approaching same distance of time from the original game to its Wii re-release - 1995 to 2011 (16 years), 2011 to present (12 years). It should have come out on the Classic Mini at the least. In the gap between the SNES and Wii, at least we still got the heretical PSX and DS versions (in some places, these were the unfortunate first official releases).

I have a small prophecy: Chrono Trigger: Pixel Remaster within 3 years.

I have both the DS and PSX versions. Let's ignore the PlayStation one because of horrid load times. But don't discount the DS version. It's generally considered the definitive version of the game, and I'm inclined to agree.  What exactly do you think is wrong with it? 

Theres also the Steam version which, after many patches, is now a more than acceptable way to play the game. Almost definitive.

I don't think there's much need for a pixel remasters, but I'd definitely buy it again if they did a HD-2D version.

Around the Network
CladInShadows said:
Jumpin said:

Seriously, I understand why an obscure simulation might not be updated for modern consoles, but why the fuck is Chrono Trigger stuck way back on Wii? The time distance of its last release is now approaching same distance of time from the original game to its Wii re-release - 1995 to 2011 (16 years), 2011 to present (12 years). It should have come out on the Classic Mini at the least. In the gap between the SNES and Wii, at least we still got the heretical PSX and DS versions (in some places, these were the unfortunate first official releases).

I have a small prophecy: Chrono Trigger: Pixel Remaster within 3 years.

I have both the DS and PSX versions. Let's ignore the PlayStation one because of horrid load times. But don't discount the DS version. It's generally considered the definitive version of the game, and I'm inclined to agree.  What exactly do you think is wrong with it? 

Theres also the Steam version which, after many patches, is now a more than acceptable way to play the game. Almost definitive.

I don't think there's much need for a pixel remasters, but I'd definitely buy it again if they did a HD-2D version.

I have a few minor issues, and one major issue. The minor issues, first: a less enjoyable English translation - the DS one mostly does away with dialectical differences between time periods. Second, the smaller screen doesn’t do the animations or graphical vibrancy any favours—the animations look decimated (it could just be the screen size). My main issue is with content additions that (IMO) ruin important threads of the story by destroying the mystique of Schala and ruining Lavos… all in one fell swoop.

I’m guessing Yuji Horii and Takashi Tokita weren’t involved this time, because the new story pieces reek of Masato Kato awfulness (when he’s left to his own devices).

If it is Kato, it isn’t the first thing he’s done damage to. His bits in Xenogears are also the worst parts of the story (like the Chu Chu scene and spoiling a themed piece of music on it) and unfortunately, I think Tetsuya Takahashi was just too overtired to give a damn. I recall an interview with Yasunori Mitsuda from long ago who said his reaction to the use of the Maria Balthasar theme in the giant Chu Chu scene was “…KATO!!!!!” I don’t hate the guy, I’d have a beer with him… he has interesting ideas, but he needs people to rein him in.

So yeah, mostly I just don’t like the new stuff. But I don’t disagree with you, I’m probably in a (much) smaller group that considers the DS Chrono Trigger to be heresy.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Finished

• Chained Echoes

So close

• God of War: Ragnarök

Need to get back to them

• Bayonetta 3
  • Rogue Legacy 2
  • Crisis Core - Final Fantasy VII: Reunion

Signature goes here!

So, Mass Effect 3, Star Wars Fallen Order. And now Guardian's of the Galaxy.

GotG was surprisingly good I enjoyed my time even if some of the combat was a bit generic and the cut scene's dragged on at times. However the decision making side of things was cool so it would be nice to have another playthrough to see how the game differs based on different decisions.

I will add one thing to this however,as a fan of 616 Marvel (even if I have't read them in years), playing this game bought a lot more joy than if the game was closer to MCU. It's a mix still but it felt like the writers tried to keep it more in line with 616 than MCU but it's still it's own thing. When certain characters showed up, it was great.

Hmm, pie.

Current:

Super Mario Bros U deluxe (completed main story, trying to 100% complete with wife, get all stars and beat all levels, estimated 99% done)

Paper Mario: Origami King, thought I beat this game a while ago… popped it in to double check and see that I hadn’t.  I’m probably 75% done with it)

Super Mario 64 (via N64 NSO, 37 stars)

Beat:

Mario Rabbids: Sparks of Hope (91% completed, finished main story, need to finish a couple side missions to 100% game)

Mario Luigi Superstar Saga (via NSO)

Queued:

Metroid Prime Remastered (few others on the plate before I get to revisit this gem)

Last edited by Kslost - on 18 March 2023

Around the Network

Another game to add.

Finished Games:

1. Monster Hunter World (+Iceborne) (PS4) My rating: 9/10
    • I spent roughly 150 hours playing through this game, and I never once got tired of hunting monsters and trying to find more materials to craft new weapons and armor. I'm not sure what else I can say. Very few games can hold my interest for such a long time. An excellent game, and without question the best game in the series I've played.
  2. Superhot (PS4) My rating: 8/10
    • A fun puzzle game with a unique gimmick and a clever twist to its story. 

Currently Playing:

1. Control (PS4)
  2. Axiom Verge 2 (PS4)
  3. Half-Minute Hero: Second Coming (PC)

Hopefully I can put GoldenEye on this list.

Jan - Now update

Nobody saves the world - 1,000G
Danganronpa - 1,000G
Eiyuden Chronicles: Rising - 1,000G

What's next? High on Life, spongebob cosmic shake, some JRPG

Finished

• Chained Echoes
  • God of War: Ragnarök

Current

• Metroid Prime Remastered

Need to get back to them

• Crisis Core - Final Fantasy VII: Reunion
  • Bayonetta 3
  • Rogue Legacy 2
Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 13 February 2023

Signature goes here!

I can finally say I've beaten GoldenEye. Having better controls certainly helped.