By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Who else is loving the NSO Expansion Pack?!

There was lots of hate for the Expansion Pack when it first came out a little over a year ago. But with more N64/Genesis games now, the initial N64 graphical bugs fixed, and some included DLC, it is a great deal now.

I finally got the Expansion Pack yesterday and I am loving it.

So far been mostly enjoying the new MK8D tracks and Fzero X....speaking of which, man FZero X holds up so well after 24 years! Such a great game still after all these years. It's a real shame Nintendo won't make another FZero.

Also started playing through Banjo. It hasn't held up quite as well as Mario 64 but its still decent. After Banjo I'm going to tackle Majora's Mask because I never finished that game back in the N64 days.

A lot of quality gems in the genesis library as well though I haven't started playing any of them.

Who else is loving Switch Expansion Pack these days?

Around the Network

Haven't given it a go as of yet... Mostly because I don't see the value in another monthly fee for games I don't get to keep.

But on the topic of Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask... Do yourself a favour and play those title on the 3DS, it's the definitive version with some graphics enhancements... I would like to see Nintendo re-release the 3DS versions as HD remasters on the Switch.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

The content is good which is why I begrudgingly pay for it. But the delivery method is really anti-consumer.

Pemalite said:

Haven't given it a go as of yet... Mostly because I don't see the value in another monthly fee for games I don't get to keep.

But on the topic of Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask... Do yourself a favour and play those title on the 3DS, it's the definitive version with some graphics enhancements... I would like to see Nintendo re-release the 3DS versions as HD remasters on the Switch.

Nah I'm good. No need to buy a whole new system and games when I have it all right there on Switch already.

As much as it is a bummer that I can't outright buy the classic games I wanna play, it helps when you split up the cost with 7 others in a family plan lol. It's great paying only $10/year for all the classic N64 games I grew up playing and bonus extras like the MK8D booster pass without dishing out $25.

I do hope eventually that we'll get the option to purchase individual games again. Especially now that Nintendo is attaching everything, FINALLY, to Nintendo Accounts. So everything we have now, should be moved over to whatever their next system is.

Around the Network

That's great to hear some are enjoying the NSO expansion but it's just not for me.

In fact, I'm already thinking of quitting the regular NSO subscription because I hardly use it. Literally, the only feature I've use was to back up saved data. I didn't find the rest of the NSO feature useful to me.

NSO expansion does not appeal to me in any shape or form, I'm not paying for old games that I can just torrent easily if I was absolutely dying to play them.....

I have no interest in this kind of service. I don't have that much time to play games as I used to, why would I pay a monthly/yearly service when I don't know how much use I'm going to get out of it? At least if I owned the games, I'd know I can get to them eventually.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

gtotheunit91 said:

As much as it is a bummer that I can't outright buy the classic games I wanna play, it helps when you split up the cost with 7 others in a family plan lol. It's great paying only $10/year for all the classic N64 games I grew up playing and bonus extras like the MK8D booster pass without dishing out $25.

I do hope eventually that we'll get the option to purchase individual games again. Especially now that Nintendo is attaching everything, FINALLY, to Nintendo Accounts. So everything we have now, should be moved over to whatever their next system is.

Personally I much prefer the subscription system. So much cheaper and you get everything. Just a much more consumer friendly system than the VC. Just on the first day, yesterday, of having the expansion pack i played Banjo and FzeroX a good amount and would have had to pay $20 on the old VC model while it only costs me an extra $30 over the basic subscription to get those and all the other N64 and Genesis games plus all the extra MK8D courses for a whole year. I also played a little bit of several other games, oh and I played some of the new MK8D courses as well. I don't even want to think about how many hundreds of dollars I would have to drop under a Virtual Console system to be able to play what I'll end up playing this year for $50.

VC model was cool back in 2007, but it was just soooo expensive compared to today's world of cheap subscriptions. But I agree it'd be a nice option for that niche where people want to pay extra to be able to download a few games. Like if you're only interested in a handful of games and you want to be playing them 10 years from now then yeah VC model is cheaper. And I mean it'd just give Nintendo even more money so I'm sure they wouldn't mind, but they are also lazy in building out online stuff so I doubt they'll add this alternative when the majority of people prefer to have immediate cheap access to full libraries of games.

Assuming they add GB and GBA in the expansion pack, and once they get all the games out (I'm also dreaming of them adding GC when the Switch 2 is out) the expansion pack will be like the ultimate retro games subscription. I really think they should open up the service outside of Nintendo systems and just let anyone online subscribe. I could totally see them getting like 100 million $50/year subscriptions eventually if it was available to anyone. Probably lots of 35-50 year olds out there who played games in the 90s but don't buy systems anymore but would pay a cheap $50/year price to get 200-300 of the games they played as a kid available to them anywhere.

It seems like a better value now, but I'm still hesitant. The arrival of Mario Party 3, Pokemon Stadium 1&2, and GoldenEye will probably be the tipping points to make me subscribe.
They really need to add GB, GBC, GBA and even some GameCube games to make it a better value. If they add the three Game Boy platforms, those should just be with normal Switch Online.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima