By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo try and seek out second-party start-ups (ala HAL, IS, Grezzo, etc.)?

SegaHeart said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

Unlike Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo has never historically been one for big game studio buyouts. With a few exceptions, company execs like the late Satoru Iwata expressed that the problem with that approach is that you can buy the building and the name, but you don't buy the talent or culture that makes that studio special. The company has instead preferred the "Keiretsu" or Second-party model, where they would invest in or form strong exclusive relationships with independent development studios to create first party content outside of Nintendo's own internal game staff.

Companies like Intelligent Systems, HAL Laboratory, Game Freak, Grezzo, Good-Feel, Skip, indieszero, Camelot. None of these are Nintendo subsidiaries, but are generally considered "Nintendo studios" since they've developed almost exclusively on Nintendo platforms and the majority of their releases were published and co-developed by the Big N itself. Many of Nintendo's biggest or most beloved IP even came out of this model including Kirby, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Golden Sun, etc.

However, Nintendo is beefing up its game development capabilities to maintain a steady stream of games. Meanwhile, Sony has been seeking out start up studios such as Firewalk and Deviation games to co-develop PS5 exclusives with PlayStation Studios. So should Nintendo EPD do the same? Seeking out start up studios that could be potential "Keiretsu" partners in both Japan and abroad to help their expansions? It'd be great if EPD can find and raise a new generation of "second parties" along the likes of Intelligent Systems, Grezzo, or HAL Laboratory. Platinum Games seems to be the biggest candidate at the moment, and I think Nintendo's been doing a decent job working with western partners like SFB, Velan, and Mercury Steam. But I think they could be a bit more pro-active at the moment. Maybe find some of the scraps leftover from JAPAN Studio, there's gotta a bunch of people who want to start their own studio.

I rather Japan studio that was shutdown to be rebuilt again on Sony I really miss Gravity Rush.

After GR2, I'm not exactly sure why anyone would advocate for a Japan Studio led GR3.

But the IP is continuing in movie form, so they might be looking at someone to continue the IP. I mean, I love the IP and hope it continues. But I don't think that GR2 really improves upon GR1 in meaningful ways. In some ways, it's actually worse. 

Around the Network

Nintendo needs to fully acquire HAL and  Intelligent Systems. Don't let them get away. Kirby and Fire Emblem won't work without them.

yes, absolutely. Nintendo should do more buyouts along the lines of Monolith software, I just hope they don't try to buy a publisher like they "apparently" tried to do with Bandai Nanco in 2003.

I don't like the idea of them buying "platinum games" and I find it difficult for them to buy Gamefreak, but they really should buy studios capable of improving Nintendo's technological capabilities, which, with all due respect, falls short when compared to the other two rivals...

Also, imho, no need to buy 2º party studios like Intelligent Systems, HAL Laboratory and others... these studios are almost "Nintendo dependent" they are not going away...

Manlytears said:

yes, absolutely. Nintendo should do more buyouts along the lines of Monolith software, I just hope they don't try to buy a publisher like they "apparently" tried to do with Bandai Nanco in 2003.

I don't like the idea of them buying "platinum games" and I find it difficult for them to buy Gamefreak, but they really should buy studios capable of improving Nintendo's technological capabilities, which, with all due respect, falls short when compared to the other two rivals...

Also, imho, no need to buy 2º party studios like Intelligent Systems, HAL Laboratory and others... these studios are almost "Nintendo dependent" they are not going away...

But you never know. Nintendo should buy Intelligent Systems and HAL as a precaution. Had Nintendo bought Alpha Dream they wouldn't have had to close. -_-

CaptainExplosion said:

Nintendo needs to fully acquire HAL and  Intelligent Systems. Don't let them get away. Kirby and Fire Emblem won't work without them.

They will never leave. Why would they? Both of these studios have been working exclusively for Nintendo for 40 years. HAL is literally in Nintendo's headquarters.

Around the Network
Manlytears said:

I don't mean actually buy studios. Rather, form exclusive relationships with them. New developers along the likes of Intelligent Systems and HAL, which aren't owned by Nintendo, but develop for them exclusively.

Manlytears said:

Which one? Bandai and Namco didn't merge until 2005.

I'm all for both supporting smaller studios and acquiring 2nd parties. But between Nintendo, other platform holders, and big publishers, Nintendo is arguably my least favorite for two simple reasons:

1. Their hardware is outdated and weak.

2. They're traditionalists who will lock the games to a single console, which will limit their sales potential.

3rd party publishes are my favorite for the job, provided they do it well. Epic for example supporting GenDesign (Formerly Japan Studio's Team ICO) was excellent news on paper.

But talent far outnumber publishers/platform holders willingness or even ability to fully support them. Inevitably, 90%+ of talent will go unrecognized or unsupported. So in real world terms, Nintendo seeking out more second party start ups is 99% beneficial with no real drawbacks. It's not like there aren't thousands of other talents and creative minds in dire need for someone's funding. People often complain about exclusives without realizing that the real world alternative is said game not existing, or existing in a crappy form, because the developers didn't find the resources or funding to fully materialize their ideas or market them for the matter.

Nintendo's hardware limitations will become much less of a problem when Switch 2 arrives. And I'm of the opinion that it's only a matter of time before they partly support PC, so both of my small issues will shrink or fade over time.

In short, they should.

twintail said:
SegaHeart said:

I rather Japan studio that was shutdown to be rebuilt again on Sony I really miss Gravity Rush.

After GR2, I'm not exactly sure why anyone would advocate for a Japan Studio led GR3.

But the IP is continuing in movie form, so they might be looking at someone to continue the IP. I mean, I love the IP and hope it continues. But I don't think that GR2 really improves upon GR1 in meaningful ways. In some ways, it's actually worse. 

Japan studios also had Shadow of the collosus and or I think was apart of Japan studios, Oh, I'm tearing up now thinking about Shadow of the Collosus why did sony shutdown this studio? Team Ico was shallowed by Japan Studios or I missheard?

Cameback to say Nintendo should get Level - 5 they created hits like Ni No Kuni metacritic 86 , Jean d arc got 87 metacritic, Dark Cloud 2 metacritic 87 and Yokai watch series, Heard Layton games are no more so can't