By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Persona 5 does it deserve it's metacritic?

TheLegendaryBigBoss said:

I think the soundtrack alone deserves the score

Persona 5 intro was insanely good getting out of the building only to get ambushed I also enjoyed Ann teasing the one guy that draw but shes is trying to get into secret doorway that painter mentor doesn't want others there.

Around the Network
SegaHeart said:
mZuzek said:

Yes it deserves its reputation. Story is top-notch, characters are very likeable, soundtrack is an absolute masterpiece, graphics are fine but elevated by a ridiculously strong sense of style, especially in regards to the UI, the game is beautiful to look at. And unlike other Persona games, the gameplay is actually super fun, with good level design and great combat. As someone who has no nostalgia for earlier Persona games, this one shits all over the old ones, it's one of the greatest games of its generation.

Which is the better RPG this generation if it's one of? Xenoblade 3 vs FF7 Remake vs Persona 5 Royal and others? Is it better than all the fire emblems?

I like 5 Royal better than those listed, but FF7 Remake isn't too far behind it to me.  My favorite jrpg of the ps4/5/Switch era is Dragon Quest 11 so far.  I like Persona 3 and 4 both better than 5, but 5 is really fantastic minus a few of those annoyance like at night when you want to go out and Morgana tells you, you should go to bed.

SegaHeart said:
mZuzek said:

You know, the greatest games event is a good place for comparing games that are nothing alike.

If I pick certain games you probably won't consider it in greatest games event IUDK how that works? Like I'm really in Shmups Vertical though, IDK if you'd let me? But then again I'm scared to post my opinions? Games like Radiant Silvergun, and Ikaruga etc? Ah Those are not my most favorite greatest games I mean IDK maybe they are? Noone understand shmups or other genre's I'm play too much genres :(

The whole point is that your list is yours, you can list whatever games you want to.

mZuzek said:
SegaHeart said:

If I pick certain games you probably won't consider it in greatest games event IUDK how that works? Like I'm really in Shmups Vertical though, IDK if you'd let me? But then again I'm scared to post my opinions? Games like Radiant Silvergun, and Ikaruga etc? Ah Those are not my most favorite greatest games I mean IDK maybe they are? Noone understand shmups or other genre's I'm play too much genres :(

The whole point is that your list is yours, you can list whatever games you want to.

K

SegaHeart said:
mZuzek said:

Yes it deserves its reputation. Story is top-notch, characters are very likeable, soundtrack is an absolute masterpiece, graphics are fine but elevated by a ridiculously strong sense of style, especially in regards to the UI, the game is beautiful to look at. And unlike other Persona games, the gameplay is actually super fun, with good level design and great combat. As someone who has no nostalgia for earlier Persona games, this one shits all over the old ones, it's one of the greatest games of its generation.

Which is the better RPG this generation if it's one of? Xenoblade 3 vs FF7 Remake vs Persona 5 Royal and others? Is it better than all the fire emblems?

FF7R is meh. They changed the story to e more Kingdom Hearts. It has a bunch of padding sidequests of kill rats.  Persona 5 and Xenoblade 3 are very different games. Can't directy compare them but you can get 100 hours out of either and both are great. Just depends on your flavor of RPG. Huge world epic drama with a lot of exploration or High School Stylish RPG that is more linear.

Last edited by Leynos - on 27 November 2022

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Loved Persona 5, but I haven't played any other persona outside of this and Strikers.

Before this game I couldn't play turn based games, and by chance I happened to try it on PSNow a few years ago and fell in love with it so much, I actually bought it on PS Store during a sale.

I can only speak about it comparing it to other games as supposed to other Persona games, and on that note I think it deserves its score. Been gaming for 34 years and this is one of the games that has left a mark alongside other greats such as Shenmu, OoT, GOW2018 etc.

It's a great game and lavishly produced. I prefer the dungeon designs in sister games SMT V and TMS, but P5 has more to do outside of those dungeons. I do wish it wouldn't be so rigid at times, but I also understand that time management is a core tenet of Persona games and how they parcel out "perks." The characters are among the most likeable casts of characters in an RPG, and that includes a lot of the NPCs.

My favorite RPGs of recent years are, however, Dragon Quest XI S, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, and Xenoblade Chronicles 3.

I quite enjoyed my time with Persona 5. I'd like to buy Royal eventually, but I have too many JRPGs unfinished as it is to try Persona 5 again but with extras.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Ashadelo said:

Let me help you, instead of posting you should be playing Persona 5. goodbye

+1 :)

Short of it is, Yes it does deserves its Metacritic.

8.5/10 for me.

Overall a great game but held back by its awful pacing. Every palace took me roughly 3 hours plus a little Mementos here and there so in the end the game is made up of about 25% combat and 75% talking. It's even worse when you've already maxed your social stats before the summer break is over and all you're left with is meeting with confidants between palaces.
Morgana is pissing me off when he decides that I can't go out anymore or worse that I have to sleep immediately. Just ask me if I want to save (which happens a few times during the final) and then skip either straight to Joker lying in bed or to the next morning.
Choices in this game are absolutely pointless or rather nonexistent. They probably only exist so your controller doesn't disconnect due to not being used for 15 minutes.

As far as recent JRPGs go, I had more fun with Yakuza Like a Dragon and Dragon Quest XI S