Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor of PS5 Slim to be released Q3 2023

Tagged games:

Do you have or plan to get a PS5?

I have the Disc version 21 41.18%

I have the Digital only version 1 1.96%

I plan to get a PS5 in the future 19 37.25%

I do not have any interest for a PS5 10 19.61%

Total:51

I'm willing to be proven wrong, but I don't think we're getting the PS5 Slim in Q3 or Q4 2023. The PS5 has only been a lot easier to get since Q4 2022 in a lot of regions thanks to being a few years on the market and an increased price with the GOW bundle.
Why would Sony scale down the form factor significantly (eating away at profits and potentially revenue) in 2023 considering the widespread supply chain shortages that have affected the PS5? I see Q2 2024 as the earliest a Slim could come out. Even then, Q3/Q4 2024 is way more likely.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:

I'm willing to be proven wrong, but I don't think we're getting the PS5 Slim in Q3 or Q4 2023. The PS5 has only been a lot easier to get since Q4 2022 in a lot of regions thanks to being a few years on the market and an increased price with the GOW bundle.
Why would Sony scale down the form factor significantly (eating away at profits and potentially revenue) in 2023 considering the widespread supply chain shortages that have affected the PS5? I see Q2 2024 as the earliest a Slim could come out. Even then, Q3/Q4 2024 is way more likely.

Slim console revisions are normally cheaper to make than the original. Cheaper and easier to manufacture so profits would be higher.

@Zippy6 Yes, but it's a combo of being big enough to have cooling and the manufacturing process. 

A PS5 released at launch that is as slim as an inevitable PS5 Slim would be way more expensive if it had the same specs and cooling. If Sony wanted a slimmer PS5 at launch, they would've had to compromise on cooling and specs. 

When certain specs and cooling no longer require a larger shell, that's when it becomes more profitable to make the product slimmer. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Oh, please.
Ps5 is too big.
Time to get a ps again, my last one was a ps3 that was stolen.

Been waiting for a slim version. I got a Series S bc of PS5's bulkiness, happy to make the switch back to playstation once a slim arrives.

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:

I'm willing to be proven wrong, but I don't think we're getting the PS5 Slim in Q3 or Q4 2023. 

The new unified PS5 model was announced by Sony for September this year so that kills any and all arguments you have. How the design will look currently is anyone's guess, but it makes sense it will be smaller in size, probably keeping the "artistic style". Making a new case costs you money first, as you need new press forms . Savings on case material will be in the very low $ range, but we are not even close to halfway through the PS5 cycle. Original press forms (my guess is aluminium) don't last forever so the manufacturer(s) would need new forms anyways from time to time. And the new model has only one size (no disc), so only one set of press forms is needed in the future. It is more than sensible to change the form factor now while there are still dozens of millions of PS5s to make.

The money changer is the reduction of the chip. If it's down to 6nm, it's only about 10-15% less current for the SoC compared to 7nm as it is now, but since P=I^2*R, that means around 40-50 Watts less to get rid off. That could make the case considerably smaller and cooling simpler (=cheaper).

Whether you call the new model "PS5 Slim" or not is not important, my guess is it will certainly be smaller than the current disc version.

drkohler said:
Wman1996 said:

I'm willing to be proven wrong, but I don't think we're getting the PS5 Slim in Q3 or Q4 2023. 

The new unified PS5 model was announced by Sony for September this year so that kills any and all arguments you have. How the design will look currently is anyone's guess, but it makes sense it will be smaller in size, probably keeping the "artistic style". Making a new case costs you money first, as you need new press forms . Savings on case material will be in the very low $ range, but we are not even close to halfway through the PS5 cycle. Original press forms (my guess is aluminium) don't last forever so the manufacturer(s) would need new forms anyways from time to time. And the new model has only one size (no disc), so only one set of press forms is needed in the future. It is more than sensible to change the form factor now while there are still dozens of millions of PS5s to make.

The money changer is the reduction of the chip. If it's down to 6nm, it's only about 10-15% less current for the SoC compared to 7nm as it is now, but since P=I^2*R, that means around 40-50 Watts less to get rid off. That could make the case considerably smaller and cooling simpler (=cheaper).

Whether you call the new model "PS5 Slim" or not is not important, my guess is it will certainly be smaller than the current disc version.

This, and there's also the fact that PS is selling a bit less games, and games and services are where the money is made, so if more consumers can't get the console, you're leaving a bunch of money on the table. This makes it more worth it for Sony to push for new advanced chips even if it's a bit more costly. As long as it's not too much more cost, they can justify it because it'll mean even more consoles can be manufactured and sold, so even more games and services can be sold. Plus if you've got (cheaper) competition like the Series S with Game Pass, and a potential recession coming, then all the more reason to get more (cheaper) hardware out asap.

Wman1996 said:

@Zippy6 Yes, but it's a combo of being big enough to have cooling and the manufacturing process. 

A PS5 released at launch that is as slim as an inevitable PS5 Slim would be way more expensive if it had the same specs and cooling. If Sony wanted a slimmer PS5 at launch, they would've had to compromise on cooling and specs. 

When certain specs and cooling no longer require a larger shell, that's when it becomes more profitable to make the product slimmer. 

You have to consider that the launch model should always be overkill because a poor start due to poor hardware design just makes for a bigger headache for the rest of the gen. Going a little overboard at first is worth the little you could've saved.

You also have to consider how much the casuals care about the system temperature and noise vs the cool Slim factor, in which case they don't care as much as most of the more hardcore early adopters. Even some of the more hardcore prefer the smaller form factor regardless if it runs a bit hotter or louder. Due to this, Sony could design the Slim model to run hotter and louder and it wouldn't matter much, as long as it's not too hot or too loud. They would basically have to make sure it's a bit quieter than a PS4, and run cool enough so it lasts a bit into next gen, and it will still sell like hotcakes being much smaller than some may anticipate vs the present PS5.

Wman1996 said:

Well you said it yourself, they increased the price, so releasing a cheaper model (to manifacture, cheaper for them too), would help benefitting a more competitive approach (say the console being back at 500€ or even 450€)

A slightly smaller PS5 listed at the original price would be good enough for me. It's not ideal, but it would be good enough for my entry point (barring other stuff happening in my life)

BasilZero said:
SegaHeart said:

I forgot to add I had a PSX grey original with Dualshock 1, And Launch PS2 Original. My little Brother bought the PS One which was cute.PSX with original boomerang was sexy too ^_^

I never had a PS1.

So for me its....

PS2 Original
PS3 Slim
PS4 Original
PSP 1000 series

So we now know how Basil ended up mired in a life of crime, it started out innocently enough with Basil trying to make up for his lost child hood of having  no PS1 to play by scouring markets for old PS1 games just to admire the covers, then he drifted into burning pirated copies of those games, until one fateful day he crossed the line and became  SHOCK HORROR! an EMULATOR.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot