Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor of PS5 Slim to be released Q3 2023

Tagged games:

Do you have or plan to get a PS5?

I have the Disc version 21 41.18%

I have the Digital only version 1 1.96%

I plan to get a PS5 in the future 19 37.25%

I do not have any interest for a PS5 10 19.61%

Total:51

How about they release the PS5 before the Slim.

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:
BasilZero said:

Source on that? I dont remember ever seeing a rumor about that with any of the sources I visit read up about.

Edit: I searched it up : https://www.thegamer.com/playstation-ps5-detachable-disc-drive/

Interesting, though I guess I wouldnt mind this. I mean more than 90% of my library on PS4 is digital lol - that and I'm steering towards going digital fully for PS5.

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/454932/rumor-new-ps5-model-with-detachable-disc-drive-to-launch-around-september-2023/

It was a few months ago.

This rumor was that it was going to be discless and can buy the add-on separately, but Sony will design it in a way that the add-on wont look unappealing and like an add-on.  My guess is that the discless system will have a empty slot where the add-on disc drive can slide in? Similar to a PC case where it has the cover/slot for the disc drive.

Since they implied that the 6nm APU shrink they've got in the newest 1200 model wouldn't change for the slim, if Sony is going to remove the disc drive, I've got to believe it's partially to be able to shrink it down enough to seem like a slim and be worthy. The 6nm unit they have now won't allow them to shrink the console a ton, so by removing the disc drive entirely, that would give them far more room to shrink quite a bit.

If I were going to bet, if they're going to go that route, that the disc drive will be an extension on the end of the console that will probably clip or snap on. It may even need to be far bigger than the disc drive itself to match up with the case possibly. This wouldn't be the worst idea if Sony is looking to push digital even harder. The slim would likely be much more pleasing aesthetically, favoring digital sales, while they also can still make extra on those who want to pay for an overpriced disc drive accessory.

I have a really hard time believing they'll have a 5nm PS5 slim by next holiday, and if by some chance they did, I can't see it being cheap, which is supposed to be the main point of the slim model. The only upside I can see for Sony in that case, is that with inflation being so high and likely going higher, Sony could very well get away with a $500 PS5 slim with the demand being so high, which they might need to if they're paying 5nm chip prices. Even if Sony could swing $400 dollars somehow in this situation, what would that mean for a Pro model?

We'll see if this is true. I'd welcome it in any case.

Personally, while obviously everything still would be reliant on its library and if I'll be interested enough in enough things, but as it stands I have no interest at all in a PS5, also partly because it's the ugliest piece of mainstream consumer electronics I have ever seen. And it's huge. If a Slim version could take those complaints away, that would be less obstacles for me to get one in the future.

S.Peelman said:

Personally, while obviously everything still would be reliant on its library and if I'll be interested enough in enough things, but as it stands I have no interest at all in a PS5, also partly because it's the ugliest piece of mainstream consumer electronics I have ever seen. And it's huge. If a Slim version could take those complaints away, that would be less obstacles for me to get one in the future.

So you want a more squared off, smaller than it should be, jet engine cooled PS5 Slim? Put PS5 in a launch PS4 like case and that's pretty much what you're going to get. I'd take quiet over small any day, even if that meant a PC full tower sized PS6. The day a PS console approaches the size and look of a mini fridge, is the day I draw the line.

ConservagameR said:
S.Peelman said:

So you want a more squared off, smaller than it should be, jet engine cooled PS5 Slim? Put PS5 in a launch PS4 like case and that's pretty much what you're going to get. I'd take quiet over small any day, even if that meant a PC full tower sized PS6. The day a PS console approaches the size and look of a mini fridge, is the day I draw the line.

Actually my mini-fridge looks better.

Joking aside. Why wouldn't I want both? Why wouldn't I demand both? They are the tech company, let them figure it out.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
ConservagameR said:

Actually my mini-fridge looks better.

Joking aside. Why wouldn't I want both? Why wouldn't I demand both? They are the tech company, let them figure it out.

If it's one the XB meme fridges, they actually do look decent.

Why don't we add a $199 price tag while we're at it? Sony even has a financial division.

Just demand it and let PS figure it out.

ConservagameR said:

Why don't we add a $199 price tag while we're at it? Sony even has a financial division.

Obviously. Cheaper would be better for me.

S.Peelman said:
ConservagameR said:

Let's not let them off easy now.

20TF PS5 Pro launch holiday 2023. Boxier, smaller, and quieter than the launch PS5. DualSense Edge included. $299.

SegaHeart said:
BasilZero said:

I only had a PS3 Slim while my PS2 and PS4 were the original.

Guess PS5 will follow the trend of being a slim between odd versions assuming this rumor is true.

I forgot to add I had a PSX grey original with Dualshock 1, And Launch PS2 Original. My little Brother bought the PS One which was cute.PSX with original boomerang was sexy too ^_^

You mean PSOne (the slim) or the PS1? Because PSX is something completely different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSX_(digital_video_recorder) PSX was a recorder integrated with PS2.

Farsala said:

How about they release the PS5 before the Slim.

Is that a joke about the lack of PS5 available on the market?

Regarding OP, I don't trust rumors without proof, but yes it makes a lot of sense to have it around 23 Holiday, the dieshrink already happened so now it is about reducing the rest of the components to reduce the total package.

Last edited by DonFerrari - on 23 November 2022

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

ConservagameR said:
S.Peelman said:

Let's not let them off easy now.

20TF PS5 Pro launch holiday 2023. Boxier, smaller, and quieter than the launch PS5. DualSense Edge included. $299.

Nah that's fine I don't mind the power.