Do you have or plan to get a PS5?

I have the Disc version 21 41.18%

I have the Digital only version 1 1.96%

I plan to get a PS5 in the future 19 37.25%

I do not have any interest for a PS5 10 19.61%

Total:51
DonFerrari said:
SegaHeart said:

I forgot to add I had a PSX grey original with Dualshock 1, And Launch PS2 Original. My little Brother bought the PS One which was cute.PSX with original boomerang was sexy too ^_^

You mean PSOne (the slim) or the PS1? Because PSX is something completely different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSX_(digital_video_recorder) PSX was a recorder integrated with PS2.

Farsala said:

How about they release the PS5 before the Slim.

Is that a joke about the lack of PS5 available on the market?

Back in 1995 everybody called the Playstation, few called it PSX before Playstation 2 was created then PSX name was dropped in favor of PS1 while the slim model is PS ONE, I was 7 years old in 1995.

Around the Network
SegaHeart said:
DonFerrari said:

You mean PSOne (the slim) or the PS1? Because PSX is something completely different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSX_(digital_video_recorder) PSX was a recorder integrated with PS2.

Farsala said:

How about they release the PS5 before the Slim.

Is that a joke about the lack of PS5 available on the market?

Back in 1995 everybody called the Playstation, few called it PSX before Playstation 2 was created then PSX name was dropped in favor of PS1 while the slim model is PS ONE, I was 7 years old in 1995.

For me it was PS1, but yes I know in several places for some reason people called PS1 the PSX.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
SegaHeart said:

For me it was PS1, but yes I know in several places for some reason people called PS1 the PSX.

Yeah, before PS2 was unvieled it was called Playstation only. It was not called PS1 until Gen Z those born in 1996 starting calling it PS1 in 2000 while ps2 launched I remember.

I was their when Sega Genesis/Megadrive launch in 1989 but didn't get launch version on Genesis I owned the Genesis in 1991 or 1992? But Owned an SG - 1000 as my first Sega console in 1989 oddly I can't believe my 2 year old self was gaming hardcore like kids today around 2 or 3 years old understanding platformers on their iphones few though.

@DonFerrari I think it was hits one I had It's just called Playstation Dual Sock box version with demo dihsc spiral , CoolBoarders 3, Par,asite Eve 1etc

I bought the oG boomerang

Hug.

Around the Network

The new slim was rumored to be in development along with an add-on external disc drive. So that you can pop off the side panel, slot the drive into position and then put on a new panel to make it all look as if it was a factory disc based unit.

Last edited by darthv72 - on 23 November 2022

SegaHeart said:

@DonFerrari I think it was hits one I had It's just called Playstation Dual Sock box version with demo dihsc spiral , CoolBoarders 3, Par,asite Eve 1etc

I bought the oG boomerang

Hug.

Mine was this version with Gran Turismo and Ridge Racer showing on the box if I'm not wrong.

And yes the PSOne was in 2000 as the slim model, and seems like PSX was the codename

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I'd rather have the Pro if I'm honest. But the Slim Edition will look less ridiculous sitting on my media bench.

Leynos said:

I'm not so sure about this. The die hasn't really shrunk that much to run that much cooler has it? Unless they just remove the disc drive entirely with a new design and as much as I hate saying this will sell a $100 add on for discs. Meh. I'm sticking with my disc based PS5.

Apparently going from tscm's 5nm to 3nm, at same speeds, can reduce power consumption by 35% (says wiki).
PS5 is made on a 7nm node (so jump would be bigger than 35% reduction, how much I'm not sure).

Its not "unthinkable" that potentially you could cut power consumption in half or something like that.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 23 November 2022

JRPGfan said:
Leynos said:

I'm not so sure about this. The die hasn't really shrunk that much to run that much cooler has it? Unless they just remove the disc drive entirely with a new design and as much as I hate saying this will sell a $100 add on for discs. Meh. I'm sticking with my disc based PS5.

Apparently going from tscm's 5nm to 3nm, at same speeds, can reduce power consumption by 35% (says wiki).
PS5 is made on a 7nm node (so jump would be bigger than 35% reduction, how much I'm not sure).

Its not "unthinkable" that potentially you could cut power consumption in half or something like that.

3nm is still very new. Even by next holiday it won't be cheap to manufacture on that node, if they have enough capacity for consoles by then.

It would definitely help slim down the console by a worthy amount, but unless inflation totally reverses by then, you're probably talking $400 at the very least, no bundles, and I'd bet Sony would be subsidizing at that price again for quite a while.

I'd say it's more likely that they take what's in the 1200 model now, redesign the internals and shrink the case as much as they can, disc drive or not, and bundle that with a few games for $400, breaking even.

If they can pump out 30 million units per year on 6nm, and sell them, or close, they won't need 3nm, at least for a few years, other than for a Pro model maybe.

Last edited by ConservagameR - on 25 November 2022