By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
gtotheunit91 said:

I only play Bethesda RPG's in third-person I just couldn't get into the first-person gameplay. Maybe because of how slow their games are.

I'm the opposite but only cause I like first-person view more, combat in Elder Scrolls is bad either way, Lol.

However, I'm exclusively third-person in Elder Scrolls Online, mainly because of the spells, easier to see the AOE.

Around the Network

Anyone know what the timer is that ResetEra uses sometimes for their countdowns?

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Don't know if I agree with that, a first person shooter is a first person shooter, rather one has RPG elements or not (and both Redfall and Starfield have RPG elements). 60 fps is definitely important in any first person shooter, 30 fps is far more noticeable with a first person camera than with a 3rd person camera, always has been. I still remember Far Cry 4 getting shat on by a good many people for being 30 fps on PS4/XB1 and that was 2014, it's 2023 now, 9 years later, more people than ever before find 30 fps unacceptable now, especially with a first person camera. 9 years ago I was one of those people that didn't care that Far Cry 4 was 30 fps, I found it totally acceptable at the time. Now though, I tried the 30 fps mode in Ghostwire Tokyo just a few days ago (also a first person camera game), and it just felt totally unplayable to me, ended up having to switch to the HFR Graphics mode, which is like 40-50 fps but works well on a VRR screen like mine.

I think there's a large difference between the two, Starfield will be a much slower paced title than Redfall will be which will be almost constant action, Starfield also has the option of TPS. Starfield will be far less action packed than most primarily FPS titles and you'll probably spend hours overall walking around doing absolutely no shooting. Redfall's primary objective is to go and kill shit. Starfield's seems more to be go and explore.

“We don’t have a problem with 30 frames per second as long as it looks really good and the simulation is running and all that stuff,” said Todd Howard.

Maybe we get it though on Series X, 1080p/60fps, Lol.

Again, I don't know if I agree there. Sure Starfield will have a 3rd person option, but if it's anything like their previous games it will feel largely unusable due to a combination of poor player animations and the difficulty of targeting lootables on shelves and such in 3rd person camera (and I'm a loot whore in Bethesda games, so difficulty looting stuff in 3rd person was a total dealbreaker for me when I tried 3rd person in Fallout 4 and Fallout 76). Meanwhile every Arkane game I have ever played felt very exploration heavy, be it the Dishonored series or Deathloop (never played Prey or their older games like Arx Fatalis), I probably spent around half of my playtime in each of their previous games outside of combat since I favor stealth in their games and there is alot of nooks and crannies to search for loot. While Redfall might have a greater ratio of combat to exploration than Starfield, I don't know if that is accurate or not, I wouldn't be surprised if there are a good many enemies, be they animal or human, within Starfield's various planet open worlds, with the indoor sections of settlements obviously having alot of combat, just like Fallout 4 and Skyrim, nor would I be surprised if Redfall has as much exploration as Arkane's previous games (albeit with less stealth unless you choose to play as Jacob and take things slow).

It's also worth noting that these days I find 30 fps in first person exploration nearly as poor as 30 fps during first person combat as I can see the frame changes as I move my camera around while just exploring (I didn't used to be able to see that). After the previous generation where a good many games had 60 fps options (especially on the Pro consoles, which I used PS4 Pro the latter half of last gen), followed by a 3 year cross-gen period where most games were 60 fps on Series X/PS5, I feel like far too many of us core gamers have acclimated to 60 fps now to ever get used to 30 fps again. Devs going back down to 30 fps this gen to push graphics harder would be a big mistake imo. The casuals might not notice but alot of the core gamers are going to struggle with it. It's far too easy to offer both a graphics/fidelity mode and a framerate/performance mode these days for devs to not put in the work to offer at least those 2 options. There are some devs out there putting as many as 6 graphics modes into their games on console these days (we even have a few who have offered a partial suite of customizable graphics options, like a toned down level of of the customization you see on PC), the devs who don't at least offer the basic 2 modes of fidelity (30 fps) and performance (at least 45 fps for use on VRR screens, the closer to locked 60 fps the better) are going to look quite lazy in comparison to those devs who are willing to put in the work to offer lots of modes. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 14 April 2023

gtotheunit91 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Hitting a locked 60 fps is possible on virtually every game, with only a few exceptions like Gotham Knights which have some unique technical issue preventing it. Hitting a locked 60 fps is simply a matter of lowering the resolution and/or graphics setting enough that the minimum framerate when testing goes above 60 fps, and then turning on vsync. If a PC gamer can hit a locked 60 fps by adjusting the resolution and/or graphics settings, than a game developer can do the exact same thing with the console version of a game. We also know that there is no unique technical limitation preventing 60 fps in Redfall like there was with Gotham Knights, because the preview event was running on PC's at 60 fps. 

The reason we see some games releasing with performance modes that aren't a locked 60 fps on consoles these days is because a. The devs clearly don't want to make the necessary resolution and or graphics settings hits needed to hit a locked 60 fps, and b. VRR screens are becoming more an more common, and VRR means that a game can run at framerates of 40-55 fps with the screen tearing or stuttering you would typically see when running a game at those non-refresh rate framerates.

Wasn't A Plague Tale: Requiem only 30fps too?

40 FPS on a 120Hz display. Otherwise 30 FPS.

Gotta say I'm enjoying Ghostwire Tokyo so far. It's certainly not a top tier amazing game, but it's a tier or two below that in my eyes. Has some definite issues holding it back from being better than it is though:

• The shooting mechanics don't feel great, aiming feels somewhat clunky compared to most first person games I have played, though they do have an auto-aim option that allows you to partially lock-on to enemies while zoomed in which helps in this regard.
  • The world traversal could be alot better, I've played open world games with far better traversal systems. The summonable tengu (grapple location) seems to be a late game upgrade, which greatly limits your ability to climb buildings for collectibles and spirits early on. The sprint speed feels painfully slow for an open world of this size and as far as I can tell there is no way to upgrade sprint speed (only crouch walk speed for stealth). Glide distance feels fairly poor even after I have the first 2 of 3 glide upgrades. Fast travel has a fairly low amount of locations available once you unlock it.
  • Graphics are nothing to write home about, and performance is poor as well on several of the 6 different graphics modes
  • There are far too many accessible areas on the map that have nothing in them, no collectibles, money, spirits, etc. 
  • I can tell it will be a fairly grindy 1000 GS, spirit hunting in particular will take a long time, you have to recover 240,000 spirits and I only just hit 50,000 after 12 hours of playtime. There are also several other collectible types to search for which I have made even less progress on than spirits

However, on the plus side:

• The story in interesting so far
  • Love the Shinjuku Tokyo setting
  • The elemental magic spells are fun to use even if the actual aiming of them could be better, all of the hand sign weaving and the elemental natures makes you feel like a Naruto character which is cool
  • The enemy designs are all cool
  • Pretty good English voice cast
  • The achievements are easy (though grindy), no missable achievements or difficulty level based achievements
  • The horror bits really aren't that scary which is a plus for me as I skip the scary horror games

I could see my final score being around 8.5/10 assuming the story stays good and I don't get too bored of the grind

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 14 April 2023

shikamaru317 said:
Machiavellian said:

Exactly what would be the point of delaying the game.  This is what the game is and those short delays isn't going to fundamentally change it in any significant way.  The game will either be good or not based on what it currently is because the game is done.  You do not need a demo of a game releasing on GP, it either will gain GP subs or it will not.  What will sell Redfall is when it gets into users actual hands and people get to play it.  Word of mouth is way better than some glorified showcase or even a demo.  I think you guys are way to close to the fire

Think about it this way: Right now, basically most core gamers hate Redfall. Between watching IGN clumsily play it, the multiple controversies (always online, host only co-op progress, no 60 fps on launch on consoles, Denuvo DRM on PC, etc.), hype for the game is at an all time low, and that is saying something because Redfall never had that much hype ever since it's initial announcement trailer which was poorly designed. So most core gamers hate it then, what about the casual shooter players? Well they're all off playing CoD Warzone and Fortnite and Apex Legends and such right now, they don't even know Redfall exists. The only way they give Redfall a chance is if the core gamers like it enough that it becomes a huge hit with the streamers they watch, giving those casuals exposure to the game through streamers.

What a delay gives them:

-Time to quickly put together a new gameplay demo for Redfall, with either professional shooter players or Arkane's most skilled at shooters employees playing it in co-op and presenting the game in the best light possible. Most of the gameplay footage released so far has looked lackluster, but we have heard from the preview testers that it's not the game itself that is the problem, Arkane has just continually managed to release underwhelming gameplay demos for it, and now IGN, who they chose to partner with for IGN First, has too. That demo can then be played on Xbox's Summer Showcase, which typically sees peak concurrent viewer numbers of over 2m people, plus millions more who go back and watch the VoD on youtube. That is 2m+ people seeing a good gameplay demo for Redfall, as opposed to a mere 180k people who have watched the poor IGN First gameplay. They have the opportunity then to completely drown out the IGN First blunder by exposing a better looking demo to more than 10x as many viewers. 

-Time to get both the 60 fps mode and the offline play options, which are both planned for after release currently, into the game at release after the delay. Fixing Redfall's 2 most controversial issues at release will go a long way towards increasing hype.

There other option is of course to just cut their losses and release in May as planned. What that does is pretty much automatically chase away the entire crowd who now finds 30 fps unacceptable, which is like 40% of potential players for the game. While there is a chance they come back and play it after 60 fps has been added post-release, many of them will be too busy with the new releases whenever the Redfall 60 fps patch drops to come back and give Redfall a 2nd chance. You usually only get one chance for success with a game release, it's rare for a comeback miracle like Halo MCC or Cyberpunk 2077 to happen in the gaming market. 

Think about it this way if core gamers already hate Redfall, nothing will change their minds until they actually play the game.  The thing about forming opinions on something before you actually have a chance to experience it is that most people never change their opinion once formed.  So if you have a negative opinion now, no amount of demo or delay is going to magically change those opinions.

I have seen enough footage to see how the game plays and anyone who is actually interested in the game probably have watch a number of videos not just IGN video.  If people watched the IGN video and thought the game is trash, they are already done with Redfall and will not waste their time watching anything else on the game.  If they have GP, they still will probably download and play the game out of curiosity especially if t gets solid reviews but that is the strength and weakness of GP.

I will confidently state that 60fps will not make or break this game because no matter the fps, if the game is not good and does not resonate with gamers it really does not matter if it runs at 60fps or 30fps.  If you are going to play the game whether you wait for the 60fps patch or play it at 30 on release that means you are still interested in the game.  The game will be on GP for the life of GP its audience is GP consumers so it cannot chase away anyone.  Its success is not determine by retail, its success is how many people download and play the game and since its not dependent on retail, its window is much longer than say a retail only game.  This is not a sprint, this is a marathon and the dynamics are different for a game whos purpose is to gain subs.  

You miss something very important about Cyberpunk and MCC, they were already good games with performance issues.  Hell, look at how many games that release with performance issues and sub par 60fps that still sell in the millions.  The reason is because they are still good games.  So for Redfall the biggest issue isn't 60fps or non online only mode.  The game needs to be fun to play first and foremost and no delay is going to help it for a couple months if that is not the case.

Sega Nears Deal For ‘Angry Birds’ Mobile Game Maker

Sega bout to go up in market value, I'm happy for em.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 14 April 2023