By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Spade said:

Grounded and SoT are massive tentpoles or Xbox. Them putting these live service games on other platforms looks to also be strategic is suffocating some of the competitions' own GAAS. Only so many GAAS you can play. Kind of a bold move honestly. 

I'll be honest, if Sony's live service games are getting overshadowed by Sea of Thieves or Grounded, they never had a chance lol. 

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:
Mar1217 said:

He said that they are open for more, meaning everything and maybe nothing at the same. 

Of course, if they see success in the release of their games on other platforms, they'll continue to do it or maybe expands it with their bigger releases. 

He also said there's not a fundamental change to their exclusive strategy so you have to take both statements or neither, also said there's no plans currently for anything else and will see how these ones go, based on various factors, some will come, some won't come, case by case, that's all it really was, but I think the obvious focus is what they clearly laid out, smaller/niche titles like Hi-Fi Rush and Pentiment and large live-service titles which require a healthy community like Grounded and Sea of Thieves, both already been exclusive for years, the driving goal was to expand the franchises of a niche Pentiment/HFR and maintain a healthy community for Grounded/SoT, decisions made based on the games being old and already reaching their full potential for Xbox.

It's a far cry from "EVERYTHING MULTIPLATFORM! NO MORE XBOX HARDWARE! STARFIELD IS COMING! GEARS OF WAR IS COMING! GAME PASS IS NOT RECEIVING DAY ONE ANYMORE! ABK WON'T COME!" and been a MASSIVE overreaction by the larger gaming community, especially some tools in the Xbox community (on Twitter), Lmao. In fact, the stream was filled with some positive news even, a confirmation of Diablo IV on Game Pass, confirmation of multiple Xbox hardware, a suped up one and a unique one, confirmation of the June showcase.

Oh don't worry, this is far from the apocalyptic doom mongering we had last week for sure. Which from a PR statement would've made no sense to go with. They had to come in there and have the re-assurances necessary, otherwise this would've gone on forever. 

I'd maintain the current plans, not changing when it comes to the bigger releases ATM. Their choice to implement multiplatform releases based on the criterias they announced though definitely leaves a place to wiggle more as time goes by. 

Could they widen those as time goes and/or if they see new success in this strategy ? Definitely. Doesn't mean it will happen but it's a possibility.

I'm just of the opinion that letting the door open for a few(if successful in this case) will leave it open wider for more of their content, dixit : the bigger releases. Especially if we're talking about GAAS. 

Hardware wise, they announced their commitment, it's positive news for those ingrained in their ecosystem.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Imaginedvl said:
KLXVER said:

I dont know those games, thats true. Because I dont care about them. I had to look up Pentiment to even know what it was. I mean I cant even remember the last time someone mentioned Grounded... Thats the Honey I shrunk The Kids game, right?

Well that's my point then, if you do not know those games... But are calling them Game Pass fillers, this is just weird.. :)

Its like Nintendo wanting to expand their audience by releasing Box Boy on the Xbox. Im sure its a nice little game, but thats not what is going to get people to buy Nintendo consoles. Mario, Zelda and Pokemon would. Thats all Im saying. I think MS should just keep all their games exclusive to Xbox and PC instead. Makes the Xbox look better with more exclusives.

KLXVER said:
Ryuu96 said:

Uh, I take issue with your labelling of "Game Pass filler" Lol. Are you calling Pentiment a Game Pass filler? Game is critically acclaimed and a passion project from Josh Sawyer, niche doesn't deserve the label of "Game Pass filler" which is often used in a negative way.

But like I said, it's not about moving Xbox consoles, it's about the health of these IPs. If Sea of Thieves/Grounded start stagnating, or losing players, what happens to them? They get shutdown, in that case it is always better to port them to more players.

But you know what, I would actually be fine with Infinite on PlayStation because the MP is in an amazing place right now but doesn't have the players it deserves, what I think they should do though, is split the Halo MP from the SP, keep the SP exclusive and release the MP on PlayStation.

Maybe not a Gamepass filler, but not exactly a system seller I mean.

Im just saying IF they really are interested in getting new players, then they have to do better. 

Hmh. Game Pass filler tends to be used to mock titles in Game Pass, a criticism towards their quality.

Pentiment is not a system seller, no, all the more reason to port it to PlayStation, Lol.

Again. This is not about the Xbox console, it's about the IPs.

Refall is tainted, even if they fix it (or have fixed it) porting it to other systems won't do the game any favors. Let it die, let Arkane Austin move on.

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Biggest hardware leap of any gaming generation ever is quite the tease. I'm skeptical that it will truly be the biggest leap in actual hardware though, if the leaks are right we are only looking at 6 years between Xbox Series X and next-gen Xbox, that is not enough time for a massive leap in actual hardware specs unless it is very expensive. I'd rather say that things like better dedicated raytracing cores that allow path tracing, and AI frame generation to nearly double framerates at the chosen graphics settings, will do the heavy lifting of making this next-gen Xbox seem like the biggest hardware leap yet.

Guessing the unique hardware tease could be a reference to the dual-layer Xbox and Windows OS, or it could be about the rumored cloud graphics improvements from the slide that leaked out in the ABK court case

New Xbox Series hardware option this year is somewhat surprising, the AMD leaker suggested the mid-gen refresh console had been cancelled and even Phil said that slide that had leaked was outdated and no longer matched their current plans. Could just be a cheaper to produce model on a small nm production line, or a larger SSD model though.

What would be the biggest leap?

Honestly I'm kind of not surprised...

They do a mid-ranged handheld device which is dockable, that would cover a decent range from low-end to mid-end but then they can also do a suped up Xbox console, stupidly powerful but still less expensive than PC hardware, it will be aimed at selling it at a profit.

I would probably buy both, Lol.

I thought the unique hardware is an obvious reference to a handheld? Lol.

New Series stuff this year is probably the digital only device.

Assuming he means the biggest generation to generation Xbox hardware leap to date, the biggest leap for Xbox was definitely OG Xbox to Xbox 360, where we went from 13.9 gflops to 240 gflops, a massive increase of 17x in on paper specs (real world wasn't quite that much, but still a huge leap). Next largest was Xbox One to Xbox Series, from 1.3 tflops to 12 tflops, about 9x increase. Smallest to date was 360 to Xbox One, which was 240 gflops to 1300 gflops, only about a 5x increase. I don't think it is possible for the on-paper specs leap from Series X to next gen Xbox to be bigger than OG Xbox to 360, not in 2026 and probably not even in 2028 or 2029. That is why I think things like much better dedicated ray tracing cores allowing path tracing (path tracing is a huge leap forward in game lighting) and AI frame generation will be used to overcome some of the disparity and make it seem like the largest leap yet. 

Unique hardware could have been a reference to the handheld, but that isn't really unique, everybody will be making a handheld next gen, from most PC OEM's to Sony to Nintendo, I'd rather say that dual-layer OS is the unique things, nobody has ever made a console that is both console and PC wrapped up in one package. I do think the handheld is happening though.

What's odd about the digital only Series X is that the AMD leaker back in September said he could find no evidence of AMD working on the 6nm die shrink Series X chipset that was supposed to power it. Maybe they will just do a digital only Series X with the current design though, maybe it was only the shrunken chipset and cylinder design that died.

ice said:

Podcast was about what I expected, vague and PR Bullshit

Why would it be anything else.  Why would any company give you any more details then the basic.  This was free pub over a bunch of rumors that overhyped some games that means nothing as far as being exclusive goes.  Its like a lot of you woke up today and have not experienced corporate communications before.  It never was going to be up to what you wanted.

Mar1217 said:

Oh don't worry, this is far from the apocalyptic doom mongering we had last week for sure. Which from a PR statement would've made no sense to go with. They had to come in there and have the re-assurances necessary, otherwise this would've gone on forever. 

I'd maintain the current plans, not changing when it comes to the bigger releases ATM. Their choice to implement multiplatform releases based on the criterias they announced though definitely leaves a place to wiggle more as time goes by. 

Could they widen those as time goes and/or if they see new success in this strategy ? Definitely. Doesn't mean it will happen but it's a possibility.

I'm just of the opinion that letting the door open for a few(if successful in this case) will leave it open wider for more of their content, dixit : the bigger releases. Especially if we're talking about GAAS. 

Hardware wise, they announced their commitment, it's positive news for those ingrained in their ecosystem.

Doors can also be shut. Plenty of wiggle room.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

More or less what I expected for today. They weren't going to like come out and start talking about bigger titles going multiplat, but they wouldn't deny it either. It's just a matter of time. The fact is, they stand to be the biggest 3rd party publisher on Playstation and Switch by a large margin, it's too hard to look off that for them when the existing XBox brand is losing them billions of dollars and declining every generation since the 360.

It will take a few years, but I think they will token release a "next gen console", which will be expensive because they won't subsidize massive losses for it, but they will continue to make more and more of their games multiplat as time goes on and that will effectively sink any momentum the XBox brand has left.

The fact that Phil would not draw a hard line on Starfield and Indiana Jones not showing up on other consoles basically tells you what's really up. 

NobleTeam360 said:

Refall is tainted, even if they fix it (or have fixed it) porting it to other systems won't do the game any favors. Let it die, let Arkane Austin move on.

It is a shame though, it really had potential I think. Better not speak of this game ever again.