By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Playing an evil character in BG3 is borderline pantomime comical and it’s one of my favourite gaming experiences ever, I’m living for this playthrough 😁

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

Around the Network
rapsuperstar31 said:
crissindahouse said:

I'm sure there is a group which will do everything to make it a PR nightmare but I still wouldn't care as MS. 90% of gamers wouldn't buy physical games next gen even if they could so that they won't care what people will say about Xbox. 

The always online thing was definitely a bigger problem for many and yet it still isn't the reason why Xbox wasn't so successful last gen. If other things would have been better, then this "PR disaster" would have been noting more than hot air. 

Something which is a much bigger problem is that Xbox doesn't have a straight strategy when they always try to consider everything because there could always be some people complaining. Sometimes you simply have to go your way instead of trying to go three different ways but none of them to full extend. 

You don't have to please every gamer. You just have to offer the best product for a part of gamers. If 100m people think Xbox is the shit then that's enough. That still can mean that 500m think a PC, PS, Switch or handheld is better for them. 

Losing 10% of your console purchasers is worth it?  I don't believe 90% of gamers are digital only.  There are certainly quite a few digital only gamers, but there are also quite a few gamers that buy both digital and physical games.  PC gamers wont shut up about Baldur's Gate 3, but we really don't hear that many PlayStation or Xbox gamers clamoring about it.  Why is that?, it's not on Gamepass or PS + and it's not currently available physically.

I said wouldn't buy it next gen. I didn't say right now. The percentage of digital purchases is increasing very fast. More and more people get fast enough internet speeds and especially most "new" gamers probably don't care about physical copies. It's rather gamers who grew up with older consoles who still buy physical. 

I also said 90% of gamers wouldn't buy physical, not that 90% of those who are console gamers right now will buy digital only next gen. So, yes, I think around 90% of gamers who could be potential Xbox gamers for next gen won't really care or would maybe buy physical but can also live without it. 

If I would have a Series X I would probably also buy some physical copies but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't have a Series X if it wouldn't have a disc drive. 

Every data we can get suggests that the percentage of physical sales is shrinking fast and yet people believe that Xbox would be doomed in some years with a digital only console. Like, yes, there might be 10m people who will only buy a console with discs next gen but that's 10m from some hundred million potential customers. There will be 50 others reasons more important to decide how many consoles you will sell. 

Last edited by crissindahouse - on 27 January 2024

WoodenPints said:
JRPGfan said:

Jez Corden is basically saying, that its not a "if" anymore.
Its done. New Xbox hardware wont have physical anymore.

Even on playstation its only around ~40%.
However Xbox, its apparently below 10%.

I can see xbox just doing away with it completely.

It's been pretty obvious that this would be the last generation of physical since before it released and that the Next Box/PS6 would be completely digital with the Switch 2 likely to be the last bastion of physical games unless Nintendo pulls something crazy and goes digitally only but I'm still expecting Switch 2 to have physical games.

We have other physical media like Vinyl's and blu-ray still going strong but they have open hardware that anyone can make opposed to when Microsoft and Sony pull the plug the option disappears and also that with gaming the end product is the same wether you install digital or from disc compared to blu-ray where the end product is still superior to the streaming/digital version by providing uncompressed video and audio.

As someone who buys as many games possible as physical it's disappointing but the writing has been on the well for a decade now with how quickly the PC market moved to digital and a digital only future basically doubles the cost buying games at launch instantly but all that means is I wait longer to buy and give publishes even less money than I do now by raiding the bargain bin because I never buy into hype trains or get fomo so I get to game on my own timeline.

I dont' think PS6 will be digital only, Physical sales are generally much higher on PS systems still compared to Xbox. I guess it's not impossible for Sony to just say screw it and follow Xbox in ditching phsyical but I find it much less likely. Going by Sony's own financial statements, physical is still 35-40% of their sales so Sony would for sure get significant back lash.

EpicRandy said:
Machiavellian said:

The problem with Palworld is its like Minecraft.  It gains a lot of success but does that mean it will change the game industry.  The real problem is always with the consumer.  Think about it this way, how many games trailers get shone and the graphics isn't on par with most AAA games and it gets panned by the public.  Hell, before the game even make it to market, its already got a lot of negative feedback.  Is the case is that there are to many games, no enough innovation or disconnect with creators and customers.  Palworld is very successful but is it a blue print for any other game, probably not.

As for layoffs, there just was no way it was not coming.  I am surprised that devs got cut but then again there is a lot of scale back in the game market now probably because cost of producing a lot of these games just not brining in the money.  Without actually knowing the inner going on with the merger its hard to say that those teams that did get cut were not holding up to a certain standard within ABK.  While we are only hearing about this now, this all was negotiated months before closing the ABK.

Yes we're pretty much saying the same thing.

If I may explain things better for what I meant by using palworld as an example is simply that wowing consumer with graphics does not mean anything anymore. back in the 2000s a game could be marketed and talked about for it's graphics that pushed boundaries. in the 2010s that was also the case but to a lesser extent and that mentality lead to an explosion in development cost. Meanwhile nowadays (and this have been true for quite some time) a game that doesn't try to push graphics in any way doesn't feel like it lacks anything compare to one with heavy focus for it. Graphics have just grown to be absolute garbage of a focus for the success of a title, gameplay and/or stories as again become what matter most. This coupled with the fact pushing for graphics is primarily what lead development time and budget going out of control and you can see the why the bubble finally popped.

to better illustrate what I'm saying is, add 2-3 years of development and 50-100m budget to palword to produce the same game but with way better graphics/animation and... it would not have done anything more or less for the title success in any way. A push for better graphics have simply become synonymous with lesser ROI. 

The way I see the gaming industry going forward and even on the AAA side of things is to start heavily reusing assets from previous entry while focusing on innovative gameplay and stories (TotK say hi). I also believe we will observe a trend towards consolidating engines, particularly towards a select few like Unreal Engine, while in-house engines become increasingly rare.

different

Just wondering is a game that does not wow graphically more on the PC side than the console side.  When have we seen a game with so so graphics like Minecraft or even Palworld get huge sells on the console end.  Hell, lethal Company is another game with pretty much crappy graphics but has garnered really good sell on the PC end.  Would that game do the same numbers on console, I just do not believe so. I believe the PC is where its at if you want a game that doesn't have huge budget and even marketing to really explode then the console.  I believe  enviroments produces different results but the PC crowd and the console crowd definitely are much different in what games seem to connect better and Mobile is a whole different animal in itself as well.

Rocksteady bout to drop one of the lowest scored games this year… what a waste of a studio.

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

Around the Network

If Microsoft abandons Physical... The Series X will be my last Xbox console... I have over 1,000 Physical OG Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One and Xbox Series games, so I have a desire to bring them forwards with me.

Dropped the paid subscription once they canned Xbox live Gold after 20+ years.

I think I am more or less just transitioning purely to a PC+Nintendo platform holder going forwards if they drop the optical drive... Which I use for more than just games, but also 4k Blu-Rays, music CD's etc' to my home theatre system.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

If Microsoft abandons Physical... The Series X will be my last Xbox console... I have over 1,000 Physical OG Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One and Xbox Series games, so I have a desire to bring them forwards with me.

I think I am more or less just transitioning purely to a PC+Nintendo platform holder going forwards if they drop the optical drive... Which I use for more than just games, but also 4k Blu-Rays, music CD's etc' to my home theatre system.

Yeah.  I leaning more and more towards that mindset as well.  To think of all the work they've done with BC (especially on the physical side) and still push further and further towards digital exclusivity seems insane.

VersusEvil said:

Rocksteady bout to drop one of the lowest scored games this year… what a waste of a studio.

I heard they didn't send several outlets review codes, probably not a good sign if even WB knows it's bad. I'm actually wondering now if Skull & Bones could actually review higher than Suicide Squad even after 9 years of development hell, wouldn't that be something. It should be an interesting battle between the two next month to see which is the worst major game of February, and possibly even the worst major game of 2024 as a whole. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 28 January 2024

Pemalite said:

That seems to be what I am looking at for the future right now as well. Some of these recent Xbox moves I just haven't been a fan of, and these all digital and cloud integration rumors for the next gen Xbox console are very worrying to me. As it stands it is looking like I will go PC + Switch 2 for next gen, PC because both Xbox and Sony put most of their games onto it now (even if late in Sony's case), Switch 2 for the few Nintendo exclusives that interest me like Pokemon and Fire Emblem and Xenoblade.