By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
gtotheunit91 said:

Damn, Diablo IV not getting nominated for Best RPG or Art Direction is insane lol

I LOVED RE4R, but Hi-Fi Rush should've gotten that nomination for GOTY.

Yeah, Diablo 4 and Starfield both got shafted hard, only 1 nomination for each, I can think of several categories for each where they deserved a nomination and didn't get one (Starfield and Diablo 4 for instance got 5 and 3 nominations respectively at the Golden Joysticks compared to just 1 each here at Keighley's Awards show). I voted for them both in the one category they got a nomination in, hopefully they can at least win Best Multiplayer and Best RPG respectively, since neither of them gets a 2nd chance for a win. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 13 November 2023

Around the Network

Game of the Year - Worthy nominations for the most part but can we seriously not think of a game worth being there more than the 20th version of Resident Evil 4? That is such a weak nomination Imo. Hell not a single indie in the GOTY list, could have had Cocoon or Sea of Stars up there easily, I would have personally put Hi-Fi Rush up there and it also has a lot of subcategory nominations too. Anyway, I thought it would be a battle between Tears of the Kingdom and Baldur's Gate 3 but Alan Wake 2 winning Golden Joystick's Critics GOTY has me doubting that now.

Best Art Direction - HiFi Rush better win this and not Tears of the Kingdom, Lol.

Best Score and Music - Starfield deserved a nomination here.

Best Ongoing Game - As boring as always, I'm pretty sure the journalists play none of these games and just pick what is the popular thing.

Best Community Support - Destiny 2 being nominated for this is a fucking joke, literally rewarding them for laying off their entire community team, Lmfao. What the hell are journalists thinking with this nomination? Community has been raging at Bungie as well way before the layoffs, who the hell is going to accept the award if they win after they laid most of them off? Ridiculous, I'm actually most annoyed by this reward, Lol.

Best Sim/Strategy Game - I'm guessing not many Sim/Strategy games this year? Cause Skylines II being nominated is a bit of a joke too, they literally put a memo out before the game was released to tell everyone how broken it would be and they aren't happy with it but are still releasing it anyway, Lol.

Best Multiplayer Presented by Discord - Pretty shit choices, Lol.

Most Anticipated Game - Is there not much announced for 2024? Cause this list looks a bit meh to me.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 13 November 2023

gtotheunit91 said:

Damn, Diablo IV not getting nominated for Best RPG or Art Direction is insane lol

I LOVED RE4R, but Hi-Fi Rush should've gotten that nomination for GOTY.

Now that you mention it, Diablo IV definitely deserves to take Tears of the Kingdom's spot in Art Direction.

I love Tears of the Kingdom but like, the art-style is exactly the same as BOTW, Lol. Idk...

Ryuu96 said:

Game of the Year - Worthy nominations for the most part but can we seriously not think of a game worth being there more than the 20th version of Resident Evil 4? That is such a weak nomination Imo. Hell not a single indie in the GOTY list, could have had Cocoon or Sea of Stars up there easily, I would have personally put Hi-Fi Rush up there and it also has a lot of subcategory nominations too. Anyway, I thought it would be a battle between Tears of the Kingdom and Baldur's Gate 3 but Alan Wake 2 winning Golden Joystick's Critics GOTY has me doubting that now.

Yeah, Alan Wake 2 winning Critic's Choice at the Golden Joysticks is definitely a pretty good indicator of what the critics might vote for here on Keighley's Awards show. The only question now is how will the users vote? Keighley doesn't weight the user vote very highly at all for the main awards, 9:1 ratio in favor of the critics, instead opting to have a separate user vote only award each year, but if the critic vote is very close on GOTY, there is a small chance that the 10% weighting of the User Vote could sway the overall GOTY winner away from Alan Wake 2.

shikamaru317 said:
Ryuu96 said:

Yeah, Alan Wake 2 winning Critic's Choice at the Golden Joysticks is definitely a pretty good indicator of what the critics might vote for here on Keighley's Awards show. The only question now is how will the users vote? Keighley doesn't weight the user vote very highly at all for the main awards, 9:1 ratio in favor of the critics, instead opting to have a separate user vote only award each year, but if the critic vote is very close on GOTY, there is a small chance that the 10% weighting of the User Vote could sway the overall GOTY winner away from Alan Wake 2.

Is AW2 actually THAT good or do you think it's recency bias?

I thought TOTK or BG3 would sweep and any other nomination is fighting for 3rd place but I'm unsure now.

Around the Network

More upset about Bungie being rewarded for laying off their community team than Starfield not receiving more nominations or Hi-Fi Rush not being in GOTY though

I'm actually shocked that Hogwarts Legacy didn't get a single nomination!

Wow, are we this close to the award season already. The nominations for VGA are indeed in part surprising. Not about BG3, at this point I know others see it as great a game as I do, so I was sure it would be noticed.But damn the recognition of Alan Wake is surprising. I knew it got good Meta, but maybe I should give it a try, is it on Gamepass?

Also a bit surprised about Mario Wonder turning up in best game overall and best art direction. Usually these sort of fun colorful games are banned to the family section and the main VGA is only about serious and gritty games.

Also cool to see so much HiFi-Rush, although no indie made it this time to the best game. But quite frankly, this year has so many good to great games, that it is no surprise that it fell off. I mean Starfield, Diablo IV, Hogwarts Legacy would totally be in the nominations for GOTY if they released last year. Which probably also explains why Spider-Man has only a few nominations.

Also nice to see Terra Nil pop up, I played the Prototype on itch.io, should give the full release a test as well.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Ryuu96 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Is AW2 actually THAT good or do you think it's recency bias?

I thought TOTK or BG3 would sweep and any other nomination is fighting for 3rd place but I'm unsure now.

Well, I've only been watching a playthrough of it instead of playing it myself, so I can't get a super good impression of how good the gameplay is, but the storytelling, music, graphics, art design, and actor performances are all top notch, and the gameplay seems good watching it at least. I honestly think it might deserve the GOTY win this year, though it's hard to say if Baldur's Gate 3 deserves it more or not, since we Xbox peeps are still waiting to play it.

I definitely don't think that TotK or Res 4 Remake deserves the win, TotK feels too samey compared to BotW, while Res 4 Remake is a remake, only brand new games deserve GOTY imo.