By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

You’re Transported to Fallout’s World, Would You Rather?

Live in a Vault (Random Selection) 18 78.26%

Live on the Surface 5 21.74%

Total:23
coolbeans said:
Ryuu96 said:

Yes. They do, not just in gaming but in all walks of life.

And FWIW I see a lot of people whining about how gaming is made up of mostly white males so it should cater to only them.

*Sigh* I mean... broadening it out to everything else just opens up a new can of worms.  But even that statement isn't a universal given.  You can't just paint with a broad brush the "inherent plight of minorities" when East Asian immigrants (on average) have a higher standard of living than their native counterparts. 

You see what you did though?  You already lowered the temperature by re-framing the discussion around broader market opportunities.  No one sounds unhinged when they make simpler appeals like "non-white males & females also have disposable income."  Catastrophizing the situation as though you're waking up everyday to your very existence being threatened just b/c you're a minority is flagrantly untrue.  We're in the 2020s, not the 1920s.

First, I re-framed the discussion in a broader context and then I went back to the gaming context

And FWIW I see a lot of people whining about how gaming is made up of mostly white males so it should cater to only them.

Secondly, I can easily use one example right now, trans people very existence is threatened constantly. For others it may not be everyday but it is often enough that they feel a constant experience of being looked at differently due to being minorities in their respective countries.

And bro, some in your country with power are literally going after women's bodily autonomy, c'mon man, Lol.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 29 March 2024

Around the Network

Maybe if we didn't post far right chuds like Musk and Quartering 🤔

Ok everyone stop. You wanna politishit up a thread go do one in politics. This isn’t helping anything in here. Y’all need to stop engaging and go play games.

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

I hope Dragon's Dogma 3 happens but with a different director, I hope Dragon's Dogma 2 is a big success but I want more major changes next time, I want bigger and more cities, more developed characters, a much larger focus on story, Dragon's Dogma 2 feels like Itsuno just wanted to remake Dragon's Dogma 1 in many respects.

Too little enemy variety as well. But I'm loving the gameplay, I love the environment details, I love the pawn system still, I'm enjoying it quite a lot still but I'm constantly thinking in the back of my head "this could be so much more, it has so much untapped potential" mainly in the story/character aspect, it feels like an afterthought.

Also, who the hell put the woman on the front cover who has barely any relevance to the main story and instead is just a short 3 side-quest romance subplot, Lol.

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

The dude is a 90's Democrat. I'd argue he's an early 2000's Democrat, even. Just because liberals keep moving further left on *everything* doesn't mean people that were on the left before, or middle, are suddenly right ring, let alone far right. There are liberals now that think Bill Maher has become "far right", that Obama wasn't a liberal, it's baffling. 

I say this as a right wing person myself. I like Elon's free speech views, but he is too liberal for my tastes (and the many other tens of millions of conservative Americans' tastes) in other areas. Calling him far right is just not true.

Just because someone moves away from me doesn't mean I've moved away from them.

Dulfite said:
Ryuu96 said:

The dude is a 90's Democrat. I'd argue he's an early 2000's Democrat, even. Just because liberals keep moving further left on *everything* doesn't mean people that were on the left before, or middle, are suddenly right ring, let alone far right. There are liberals now that think Bill Maher has become "far right", that Obama wasn't a liberal, it's baffling. 

I say this as a right wing person myself. I like Elon's free speech views, but he is too liberal for my tastes (and the many other tens of millions of conservative Americans' tastes) in other areas. Calling him far right is just not true.

Musk isn't Democrat in the slightest, Lmao. His mask started slipping ever since he accused someone of being a paedophile because said person criticised Musk's PR attempt at making a submarine to "save" children trapped in an underwater cave and since then it has been a domino collapse, the dude is desperate for attention and craves approval, now he gets it from his right wing fanbase, but he doesn't give a shit about any of you.

He endorses people like Ron DeSantis who even Trump has basically said "hold on, a bit far mate" on his abortion policies. He makes excuses for Russia's disgusting invasion of Ukraine and parrots Russian propaganda. He regularly hangs with and promotes far right users on Twitter. Musk is one of those people who claim they're "centrist" because they believe it makes them enlightened and smarter than everyone else and because he's too much of a coward to admit what he really is and Imo Obama was a centrist.

The left wing has barely moved to what would be considered far left, even your politicians furthest to the left like Bernie would be considered centre-left by some European standards. Your GOP has been infected by far right nutjobs like MTG, Boebart, etc. Who are all in on the cult of Trump and attack and pressure every Republican for not falling in line until the cowards eventually cave to pressure and only speak out when they're retiring or have no political career left.

Your party accuses people like Mitt Romney of being a "lefty" now or "RINO" when he has some views which the left wing would be disgusted by, contrast that to the Democrat Party which is largely centre still, a few further left like AOC are very much the exception and aren't listened to much by the Party at large. The sooner that GOP realises its party has been infected by these far right lunatics, the better, or they can go down in flames and split the party, the GOP will become a party of far right and the centre-right will go elsewhere.

Even the Tories in the UK look like saints compared to some Republicans now and don't say they aren't right wing, Lmao.

I'm a left winger, I am fine with centre-right but I despise the far right, I equally despise those "commie" fuckers on the far left who make excuses for Russia because "America bad" and I actually call those people out often but I hardly ever see the far right in the GOP be called out by Republicans, your party is crippled at the thought of actually doing something against this rot because they're terrified of losing and the entire party now is "Monarchy of Trump or Nothing"

I'm a white gamer. Microsoft doesn't want my money.

the-pi-guy said:
coolbeans said:

In no uncertain terms do "minorities have to fight to prove they exist"  Coddling or sympathizing with this type of ludicrous framing does more harm than good in the long term.

There are tons of issues that underprivileged groups face. 

They frequently get harassed when something goes wrong. Some examples on the Sony side, when Santa Monica delayed God of War Ragnarok, Alanah Pearce got a large brunt of harassment for it. Despite the fact that she is just a writer on the game. 

The TLOU actress for Abby got attacked for playing that character, as if Abby was the real person. Despite the fact that it wasn't her decision, she wasn't the director or writer. 

Not to mention, the other billion problems underprivileged face in all walks of life. Harassment for being in the wrong place. Not getting the benefit of the doubt that a white male would have had in the same situation. Fewer chances of advancement. Underrepresented and blamed. 

And no, it is not problematic to talk about it. 

People need to grow up and stop trying to feel victimized, every time someone complains about the challenges they face, and stop trying to make these issues about them. 

Alright.  Like I mentioned with Ryuu up above, we're opening up another can of worms so I'll try to not muddy the thread discussions after this.  I follow your anecdotal examples and I would say that my 1st reply isn't trying to erase history.  I feel like part of your comment is confusing my critique of overwrought language as though nothing bad happens to minorities ever.  Maybe I'm misreading that.

For this ironic part, I can only come to two conclusions for this list of tropes: ignorance or disregard of any counter-evidence.  Like I said before, despite the wretched conditions East Asian immigrants faced in America, that community (or collection of sub-communities) has gone on to be so successful that affirmative action had tamped down on their opportunities the most as a percentage.  Hell, I can't help but balk at your list when talking about countries like USA, which have had legal minority-exclusive privileges like affirmative action locked in for decades (until just recently).

I'll just leave it at that for now.  My PMs are open if you're interested to discuss this more broadly.

Dulfite said:
Ryuu96 said:

Major issue is that people use these terms differently. 

A lot of Americans think left wing = big government, right wing = small government.

Political science defines these terms as left = opposed to hierarchy, right = advocates for hierarchy. 

Democratic politicians range from center left to center right, but mostly center right.

I'm not sure how you think Elon is a "90's democrat"