By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

You’re Transported to Fallout’s World, Would You Rather?

Live in a Vault (Random Selection) 18 78.26%

Live on the Surface 5 21.74%

Total:23
EspadaGrim said:
EpicRandy said:

From my point of view, it's pretty good advice and nothing more. 

But also, MS is the one financing those projects, and if they publish a title that draws controversy for exposing overtly exaggerated female character traits, they're the ones who would have to front the controversy.

What's funny though is that the Twitter post likened the mention to something it is explicitly not.

MS: avoid exaggerated body proportions

The post: shows an image of a female character with no discernable exaggerated body proportions as a suggestion of would-be impacted material.

yeah, that's not clickbait at all -_____-

If it's a mandate/suggestion for their own 1st party game then it's fine they can do what they want, but honestly we know what they mean when they say exaggerated body proportions ie no Curvy Women, would this exaggerated body proportions also include Obese and Ripped body types as well for Women? This seems to suggest that they only have a problem with one which is stupid imo

we know what they mean when they say exaggerated body proportions ie no Curvy Women

I don't agree with that interpretation, Women can be curvy and yet remain proportional.

would this exaggerated body proportions also include Obese and Ripped body types as well for Women?

nothing suggests that this is the case. 

This seems to suggest that they only have a problem with one which is stupid

To me, it suggests they ask their dev to be more mindful of how they display female characters, it is not suggesting they have any problem with any sort of realistic female character design.

Around the Network

An Xbox that can run third party stores.

As long as I can still access b/c titles from Xbox, Xbox360, and afterwards - I'll continue getting them.

In today’s play of Dragon Dogma - always fucking something edition. Catch a cart to melve, attacked by an ogre 5s in, see it fall, turn around to see the cart obliterated by a griffin ….. run to melve only to find out I need 4 weapons and the general store isn’t selling anything …. 😣 this is a game of attrition sometimes lol

Ride The Chariot || Games Complete ‘24 Edition

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

EpicRandy said:
EspadaGrim said:

If it's a mandate/suggestion for their own 1st party game then it's fine they can do what they want, but honestly we know what they mean when they say exaggerated body proportions ie no Curvy Women, would this exaggerated body proportions also include Obese and Ripped body types as well for Women? This seems to suggest that they only have a problem with one which is stupid imo

we know what they mean when they say exaggerated body proportions ie no Curvy Women

I don't agree with that interpretation, Women can be curvy and yet remain proportional.

would this exaggerated body proportions also include Obese and Ripped body types as well for Women?

To me, it suggests they ask their dev to be more mindful of how they display female characters, it is not suggesting they have any problem with any sort of realistic female character design.

I just assumed it was because of the Sweet Baby inc, thingy.

MS doesn't want any blowback on them, so their toein the line, so to speak, and asking devs to be carefull.

EpicRandy, I feel like your mis-reading things, by being so litteral. Seeing the world through rose coloured glasses so to speak.
EspadaGrim hit the nail on the head imo. 

its just gonna result in "not normal proportional women", but ulgy ones in games :p
Its like its a sin to have beautifull models in games, or them being sexy.
Ignoreing the fact that like 90% of the gameing audience is male, and enjoys it.

You have a very vocal minority that seems to dictate what is acceptable or not.... and usually "sexy woman" is a no no.

So ontop of the current drama, with the sweet baby inc stuff  (which really is overblown, a list that shows which games they worked on, so people that dislike forced political messages in games, can choose not to buy said games...  meh), you get comments like "carefull about womens proportions".

EpicRandy said:

You kinda even agree with him.
"would it be a issue if "body proprotions" to be carefull off, inclused obese people"
Nothing suggests that.

because these types of consultants that forced that stuff into games (the no sexy woman types) are all for ugly and fat ones in games.... you know it to be true, hence the "not a issue" commont on your part. Even if fat or grossly obese people in general are probably under represented in video games, it doesnt mean we should want to have that in games imo. Same with the body positivity movement, that then goes onto promote obese women, that are confortable in their skin.... its not healthy to have their lifestyle, and they ll die early deaths because of it (their weigth), they get glorrified and get to live off of modeling, while people cheer them on for not being ashamed of their obesity, its not a good thing.

"To me, it suggests they ask their dev to be more mindful of how they display female characters, it is not suggesting they have any problem with any sort of realistic female character design."

Supermodels are real... even if they make up a small tiny fraction of the whole population.
Is that then not a realistic female character design ?  Do all game characters have to be avg person looking? (or worse, lately theres alot of ugly female characters, while male characters are still being made to be ultra giga chads, without anyone paying any attention to it. Like being "thin" is alot easier to reach, than the muscles some of these male video characters in games have. Which are unrealistic, without steriod usage and liveing your life inside a gym)

This is not even me complaining about that, I'd rather a video game character look good (male or female) than not.
My thinking is just, let it be, if guys (who are the majority of consumers of said games) like good looking game characters, whats the harm in that?

Watch the next games from xbox, come out with ugly female characters, because phil made this comment :P

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 27 March 2024

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
EpicRandy said:

MS doesn't want any blowback on them, so their toein the line, so to speak, and asking devs to be carefull.

EpicRandy, I feel like your mis-reading things, by being so litteral. Seeing the world through rose coloured glasses so to speak.

its just gonna result in "not normal proportional women", but ulgy ones in games :p
Ignoreing the fact that like 90% of the gameing audience is male, and enjoys it.

You have a very vocal minority that seems to dictate what is acceptable or not.... and usually "sexy woman" is a no no.

So ontop of the current drama, with the sweet baby inc stuff  (which really is overblown, a list that shows which games they worked on, so people that dislike forced political messages in games, can choose not to buy said games...  meh), you get comments like "carefull about womens proportions".

Tbf, a lot of the blowback Sweet Baby Inc received could've been avoided if they had just not said anything. You had the Steam Curator make the list on Steam and instead of just letting it blowover, SBI employees, including one of their Directors, brought it to the limelight and very vocally tried to get the Curator banned (but Valve sided with the Curator because he didn't break any rules) and it's led to the point that it is now.

Many today are just so easily offended that they feel like they have to say something in response regardless. 

I do wish we would just get to a point of focus on making great games! Gaming is such a creative led medium and trying to tell everyone on what they can and can't do has never gone down well historically. How a character looks doesn't have anything to do on whether or not a game is going to be good or bad, so why try to advise on something like that?

Because I am in a DB mood, I got DBZ Kakarot Legendary edition.

On PC, they confirmed that you will need Battle.net installed and running. It's not just connecting your Blizzard account. 

WHAT?!?!

Last edited by G2ThaUNiT - on 27 March 2024

I'm almost certain they'll be coming eventually but this confirms my suspicions that the whole integration simply isn't ready yet but they threw people a bone with Diablo IV, it explains why only Diablo IV is announced so far, they jerry rigged that up to Game Pass because it's a pretty big offering but the whole backend is still not complete hence why everything else hasn't came.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 27 March 2024

JRPGfan said:
EpicRandy said:

EpicRandy said:

You kinda even agree with him.
"would it be a issue if "body proprotions" to be carefull off, inclused obese people"
Nothing suggests that.

because these types of consultants that forced that stuff into games (the no sexy woman types) are all for ugly and fat ones in games.... you know it to be true, hence the "not a issue" commont on your part. Even if fat or grossly obese people in general are probably under represented in video games, it doesnt mean we should want to have that in games imo. Same with the body positivity movement, that then goes onto promote obese women, that are confortable in their skin.... its not healthy to have their lifestyle, and they ll die early deaths because of it (their weigth), they get glorrified and get to live off of modeling, while people cheer them on for not being ashamed of their obesity, its not a good thing.

"To me, it suggests they ask their dev to be more mindful of how they display female characters, it is not suggesting they have any problem with any sort of realistic female character design."

Supermodels are real... even if they make up a small tiny fraction of the whole population.
Is that then not a realistic female character design ?  Do all game characters have to be avg person looking? (or worse, lately theres alot of ugly female characters, while male characters are still being made to be ultra giga chads, without anyone paying any attention to it. Like being "thin" is alot easier to reach, than the muscles some of these male video characters in games have. Which are unrealistic, without steriod usage and liveing your life inside a gym)

This is not even me complaining about that, I'd rather a video game character look good (male or female) than not.
My thinking is just, let it be, if guys (who are the majority of consumers of said games) like good looking game characters, whats the harm in that?

Watch the next games from xbox, come out with ugly female characters, because phil made this comment :P

I have not followed any of the Sweet Baby thing, I've seen a few headlines but never bothered about something labeled sweet baby so, I must admit I don't know if the advice by MS dev Support team is somewhat linked.

But if that were the case, it would not just be a suggestion on the guideline of a support team, it would be part of a broader-reaching policy.

Difference of opinion, I feel people too often misread things by extrapolating what is written too much. It's like some are compelled to have an adverse reaction and so when they can't on what it is explicitly written they extend it to what they think it entails to support their reaction.

That's what I say by extrapolating things too much. Nothing in the statement says to devs they cannot make sexy/pretty models.

And I'd be bothered by it if an entity issues a mandate based on it, not just some generalist advice that is left to the teams to decide whether or not to act on it.

because these types of consultants that[...] its not a good thing.
That's too much extrapolating stuff and putting an agenda on unknown third-party consultants. Often third party will act on what the client specifically wants. So if a dev contracts consultants with the specific mandate to avoid controversy on how they display female character then they are just doing their jobs.

And does it say anywhere that MS does not want devs to base characters on Supermodels?

Is that then not a realistic female character design ?
yes, it is and the advice does not disallow devs from making them. 

Do all game characters have to be avg person looking?
That's not my position 

or worse, lately theres alot of ugly female characters, 
I think there's a lot of entitlement about having over-the-top sexy female characters that when an average-looking female character is produced, the model is labeled as ugly even if it's not the case like recently for the Fable main character. It's like there's no in-between, female characters are either labeled sexy or ugly.

while male characters are still being made to be ultra giga chads, without anyone paying any attention to it.
Two wrongs don't make a right

Like being "thin" is alot easier to reach, than the muscles some of these male video characters in games have. Which are unrealistic, without steriod usage and liveing your life inside a gym)

For most, it's equally impossible due to genetic and other health conditions