By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Discussion Thread – The 13th Annual Greatest Games Event

(-5)

Always been a telltale fan (as you will see later in the list lol) and this is easily one of their best and most unique. Such a fascinating world and group of characters created here, and this is a contender for the best-looking telltale game as the extra stylization rly goes a long way. It's an intricate murder mystery and all the leading characters have such complex and dynamic relationships with each other that it really pulls this to be something special, even if the "choose your own adventure" part is kinda lost in favor of a more cohesive story.

Around the Network

Guessed by @Ultrashroomz 

The true classic JRPG experience. A great story with deep characters and striking moments, a fantastic soundtrack, tolerable combat and boss battles, not-so-great graphics and presentation, bad gameplay, and atrocious level design. I mean, if we can even call it design. It's the only one of its kind to make its way onto my list, but it's also one of very few games like this I've played. I... don't think I want too many more. I mean, the worst part about Persona 3 is having to play Persona 3. Even then, it's hard to say it would've been as impactful in another format, but this is not something I'll ever want to replay. I'll happily listen to the soundtrack many times over and never come any closer to it than that.

Top 50 >>

TruckOSaurus said:

Do you guys know a good site where I could copy-paste my list and then re-order it quickly (like with a drag and drop interface). I want to shift things around a bit but it's annoying to do it in my Excel spreadsheet.

Make a bunch of empty audio files and give them the names of your games, then reorder them as you like in a playlist on your music player of choice.

Ahem.

Managed to squeeze some time in today, so, here's two hints.

YoY: -7    My Rating: 9.1/10

So, what exactly can I say about Super Mario Bros. 3 that hasn't already been repeated ad nauseam over the last 40+ years? One of the most legendary and beloved video games of all time, often still considered by many to be among the very best 2D platformers ever created, and a game whose influence can still be seen and felt in the genre to this day. Yeah, I suppose it's a pretty good game.

I do still remember when I got Super Mario Bros. 3 somewhere around 1993 or 94, a few years after its original release in the PAL regions. My cousin was no longer into video games that much, and he was getting rid of his NES games, so obviously I took all of them off his hands. Though there were quite a few very good games among them, like Kirby's Adventure for example, it was SMB3 that remains my favourite of the entire NES library. Even to this day, it's a near flawless game in a lot of ways. The platforming is precise, the colourful graphics are some of the best on the console, and it's simply just fun to play. If I was ranking this game based on pure gameplay, Super Mario Bros. 3 would probably be quite a bit higher on the list.

mZuzek said:

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network
Ultrashroomz said:
mZuzek said:

I am okay with being either a squid or a kid, but I'll never be an octopus.

Next batch of games:

35. Middle game of a saga staring a heroine with the bush from hell.

34. Billionaire decides to rob a jewelry store and kidnap a baby for no apparent reason.

33. Attend a military academy as part of a class of miscreants and outcasts at the outbreak of a magitek global war.

32. Match your level-building skills against Miyamoto and Tezuka.

YoY: NEW!     My Rating: 9.1

Spiritfarer is a beautiful game, in every sense of the word. Obviously the visuals are gorgeous and the music is wonderful, but the story, characters, the setting, and everything else is just beautiful. I genuinely can't think of a better word to describe this game. Touching, emotional, bittersweet, relaxing, they all apply, as do so many other adjectives, but this is a beautiful game, plain and simple. While the game's basic premise is that you're the new person in charge of ferrying the spirits of the dead to the afterlife, the real core of the experience are the characters that you spend time with on your ship. 

Spiritfarer can be absolutely heartbreaking as an experience at times, which all stems from you spending time and learning new things about the characters that join you on your journey. As they learn to accept their deaths, you must accompany them on their final journey onward, and it's never easy to let go of these characters you've learned so much about and become attached to. It's an experience that will stay with me for a long time. Of course, the game has so much more to offer than that, like developing your ship, traveling around the game's world discovering new locations, completing quests for various people, and sometimes just sitting down to watch the sunset.

Last edited by Darashiva - on 25 November 2022

SanAndreasX said:

Next batch of games:

35. Middle game of a saga staring a heroine with the bush from hell.

34. Billionaire decides to rob a jewelry store and kidnap a baby for no apparent reason.

33. Attend a military academy as part of a class of miscreants and outcasts at the outbreak of a magitek global war.

32. Match your level-building skills against Miyamoto and Tezuka.

33 - Valkyria Chronicles

32 - Super Mario Maker (1 or 2?)

I've updated to number 35, but to be honest I'm not really sure what number we're supposed to have posted to to date. I try to do it every day, but if I'm not in the office it doesn't get done. I know I could just post all of the titles at once, but I really like the idea of revealing the list slowly.