By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Animal Crossing NH is now the best-selling game ever in Japan

Animal Crossing: New Horizons (NSW) has sold 10.45M in Japan and outsold Pokémon Red/Blue/Green (GB), which shifted 10.23M copies.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons is now the best-selling game ever in Japan. On 3rd place we have Pokémon Gold/Silver (GB) with 7.17M units, on 4th is Super Mario Bros. (FC/NES) with 6.81M and on 5th place is Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (NSW) with 6.65M.

Source: https://www.eurogamer.net/animal-crossing-new-horizons-now-the-best-selling-game-ever-in-japan

Around the Network

Way to go Animal Crossing!

Just as I (and many others) predicted. New Horizons is one of the best in the series, if not the best. Animal Crossing went from something more minor that maybe a few million people talked about to a global phenomenon.
I hope Nintendo doesn't get cocky with the next installment by making it pretty same-y. We've seen that happen at least once before with Animal Crossing (Wild World to City Folk).

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Chicho said:

Nintendo systems domination outside of Monster Hunter Freedom 3.

Around the Network
Chicho said:

Splat3 jumped into the top 20 real quick. Should easily move into the top 10 during the holidays. 

Nintendo: Who invited Monster Hunter to our party?

我是广州人

If only we knew how much Monster Hunter Rise sold exactly in Japan. It should be at least close to the top 20 but we'll never know.

Kakadu18 said:

If only we knew how much Monster Hunter Rise sold exactly in Japan. It should be at least close to the top 20 but we'll never know.

Looking at famitsu is around 2.69M physical so it would need 1.71M digital to reach the 4.4M of the #20 spot. I don't think the digital rate is that high but as you said, we will never know.

Chicho said:
Kakadu18 said:

Looking at famitsu is around 2.69M physical so it would need 1.71M digital to reach the 4.4M of the #20 spot. I don't think the digital rate is that high but as you said, we will never know.

Did you include the MHR+SB bundle in that number? It was 50% in Japan when it reached 7.7mil WW on Switch. With how much the bundle and the cheaper new price version sold plus it's eshop ranking it could definitely be up there.