By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo quarterly sales update (To September 30th 2022) Switch 114.33 million

Idiots on the internet everywhere love to pretend like Switch Sports is a dead game. And here it sold over 1.3mil last quarter.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:

Idiots on the internet everywhere love to pretend like Switch Sports is a dead game. And here it sold over 1.3mil last quarter.

They have to pretend that. If Switch Sports is a success, then the most popular of the Wii will be trashed for good. There's more at stake here than just one game.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

RolStoppable said:
Kakadu18 said:

They have to pretend that. If Switch Sports is a success, then the most popular of the Wii will be trashed for good. There's more at stake here than just one game.

Tbf Switch Sports will never surpass the original in what it achieved

trunkswd said:

A price cut sometime in 2023 makes more sense.

A price cut for a tech item that sells ? In 2023, that makes absolutely no sense.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
trunkswd said:

That is nuts and a terrible idea. A price cut sometime in 2023 makes more sense. A price I could see is something like this:

• OLED: $300
  • OG: $250
  • Lite: $170

It's not nuts in the current environment of the highest inflation rates since the existence of commercial video games. At this point in time virtually nobody's surprised nor really upset that products get more expensive, because so many have already increased in price. On the other hand, expecting price cuts in 2023 is pretty nuts, because the world isn't going to go back to the old prices, i.e. deflation. What we'll see at best in 2023 is that the inflation rates return to their normal of 1-2% per year instead of the current madness of ~10% in Europe specifically.

More likely than price cuts are adjustments to all SKUs by adding a bit more value to them while maintaining the current prices. Due to Switch's age, I'd expect any possible price increase of the hardware to go hand in hand with one game being bundled as a standard practice, because that's the best way to bump the perceived value of a console package.

I didn't think about the inflation rates we've been seeing this year. I am just thinking that money will be tighter for most people and will be less willing to spend money on non-essential goods. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Shatts said:
RolStoppable said:

Tbf Switch Sports will never surpass the original in what it achieved

It doesn't need to.

trunkswd said:
RolStoppable said:

It's not nuts in the current environment of the highest inflation rates since the existence of commercial video games. At this point in time virtually nobody's surprised nor really upset that products get more expensive, because so many have already increased in price. On the other hand, expecting price cuts in 2023 is pretty nuts, because the world isn't going to go back to the old prices, i.e. deflation. What we'll see at best in 2023 is that the inflation rates return to their normal of 1-2% per year instead of the current madness of ~10% in Europe specifically.

More likely than price cuts are adjustments to all SKUs by adding a bit more value to them while maintaining the current prices. Due to Switch's age, I'd expect any possible price increase of the hardware to go hand in hand with one game being bundled as a standard practice, because that's the best way to bump the perceived value of a console package.

I didn't think about the inflation rates we've been seeing this year. I am just thinking that money will be tighter for most people and will be less willing to spend money on non-essential goods. 

Certainly, a lot of people will have to be more considerate in how they spend their money. But while video games are non-essential, their purpose of entertainment and being a diversion/distraction from the real world gives them enough draw that it's unlikely that we'll see a significant decline in demand for them. That's why even in the event of price increases we won't have to worry about the state of the market.

Another way to look at the current inflation rates is that the lack of a price increase for a product is kind of similar to a small price cut. It's not going to be perceived as a price cut, but when almost everything else in life costs more, then it can still be viewed as something positive and an incentive to take the plunge for anyone who has waited for an actual price cut. Naturally, this isn't going to boost sales like a real price cut would. But in any case, this is not the time to expect price cuts for any console anytime soon.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

The public's thirst for Pokemon is apparently unquenchable, but the real standout for me is Ring Fit Adventure, a game many scoffed at when it was revealed, on track to be the 8th highest selling game on Switch, passing even the likes of Splatoon 2, Let's Go, etc.
It's an incredible cinderella story, a new IP finding stratospheric success against all doubts and skepticism, and it reinforces there is still much value in blue ocean software.

curl-6 said:

The public's thirst for Pokemon is apparently unquenchable, but the real standout for me is Ring Fit Adventure, a game many scoffed at when it was revealed, on track to be the 8th highest selling game on Switch, passing even the likes of Splatoon 2, Let's Go, etc.
It's an incredible cinderella story, a new IP finding stratospheric success against all doubts and skepticism, and it reinforces there is still much value in blue ocean software.

Yeah Ring fit adventure is basically the main reason why all the extra features on the joycon was worth it lol. Glad Nintendo still makes these "QOL" games. Ring fit adventure deserves all the praise

Price cuts for consoles are going to become more and more rare. The math for it has been done and I'm pretty sure all three of the companies realized the temporary sales boost is not worth the lost profit margin.

It's not 1993 anymore, the majority of consumers even Nintendo's consumer are adults with their own disposable income so pricing isn't as big of a deal. In fact we see when given the option to pay more for a better quality hardware, most people opt for the better hardware rather than save money on the system.

Nintendo's concession for the lower end rung of the market is the Switch Lite, if you're a kid and can't afford any more than that, then that's what you get. The Switch successor will almost definitely start at $399.99 minimum. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 08 November 2022