By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo quarterly sales update (To September 30th 2022) Switch 114.33 million

aTokenYeti said:

https://twitter.com/nesbot_feed/status/1589922568252936192?s=46&t=_3TW8qvQ96Y_-CoCjgW93g

Nintendo is apparently considering price increases for the Switch. Absolutely crazy this late in its life cycle

That is nuts and a terrible idea. A price cut sometime in 2023 makes more sense. A price I could see is something like this:

• OLED: $300
  • OG: $250
  • Lite: $170

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Eh, all Nintendo said that they are continuously monitoring the situation and that they will make changes to pricing if necessary.

It's bog standard PR speak with no real meaning or intention. On the same level as them saying they're working on the switch successor.

Come on Nintendo give us some sales updates on smaller titles like Metroid Dread, Bayonetta 2, and Yoshi. If these games are no longer selling it's long past time to come out with a Players Choice line of games.

That's crazy - I had predicted that Switch will be at 125m shipped by the end of the year.  If Switch were to sell the exact same numbers it did last Q3 (10.67m), that would bring it to exactly 125m shipped by December 31st. :O

So, it looks like Switch will fall a bit short of my original prediction.  Still betting on 124m+ though.

Jules98 said:

Eh, all Nintendo said that they are continuously monitoring the situation and that they will make changes to pricing if necessary.

It's bog standard PR speak with no real meaning or intention. On the same level as them saying they're working on the switch successor.

Good. A Switch price increase would...well it would feed the youtubers at least for all the outrage clicks

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Around the Network
Valdney said:

Switch sports did pretty good, but it could've pulled better numbers had Nintendo released it with more sports, especially golf.

Yeah there is no reason Switch Sports shouldn't be >10m right now, instead of 6m. For some reason Nintendo has lacked effort on all their sports games on Switch.

- Tennis launched lacking a bunch of content and didn't even seem that good based on the demo I played.

- Same with Golf. I have it and its fun to play but also even besides the lack of content at launch the game could have been much more interesting. Plus they very clearly didn't put much effort into the motion controls cuz they are kinda crap so to actually get good control over shots you have to use the standard controls which is a pale comparison to using motion controls in a golf game.

- Striker's, based off reviews, apparently there's just not much to the game.

- Switch Sports launched with Soccer incomplete and Golf not there (hell its still not there I think!) and no boxing or other "smaller" games from Resort. Just a bunch of lack of effort mistakes.

Switch Sports should have been an easy lifetime 20m seller if they put the effort into it. I mean heck I'd been waiting years for a Switch Sports and I still haven't gotten it because of no Golf yet, no boxing, and again they made the dumb mistake of handicapping Tennis by not letting you control the character, and just a general seeming lack of effort they put into the game which makes it less desirable than what I'd imagined they would do with it. Given the fact that Wii Sports was basically a tech demo to bundle with the system, but then it took the world by storm, I would have expected Nintendo to deepen the play experience with the Switch sequel, but at least from what I've read it seems like they didn't bother putting in any more effort than the tech demo original other than including online play. I expect I'll pick it up at some point next year, but given my lack of excitement about it after wanting this game for a long time before it was announced, it isn't surprising the clear lack of effort that went into the game and getting it ready for launch is supressing millions more in sales it could have had.

Calendar Year Shipments

For the Calendar Year Switch hardware is at 10.79 million after three quarters compared to 13.00 million in 2021, it needs 9.21 million in CYQ4 to reach 20.00 million for 2022. Switch software after three quarters is at 151.18 million compared to 148.67 million in 2021, this is the highest it's ever been and needs 82.90 million in CYQ4 to beat 2021's total.

Last edited by ShadowLink93 - on 08 November 2022

Pretty disappointing sales. Hardware anyway, software is good. Personally I’m actually impressed a bit by Switch Sports’ sales up until now, contrary to some here it seems. This game is going to be a slow but steady burner. It was never going to have a huge quarter anywhere in its life, but it’s also definitely not done selling yet.

trunkswd said:
aTokenYeti said:

https://twitter.com/nesbot_feed/status/1589922568252936192?s=46&t=_3TW8qvQ96Y_-CoCjgW93g

Nintendo is apparently considering price increases for the Switch. Absolutely crazy this late in its life cycle

That is nuts and a terrible idea. A price cut sometime in 2023 makes more sense. A price I could see is something like this:

• OLED: $300
  • OG: $250
  • Lite: $170

It's not nuts in the current environment of the highest inflation rates since the existence of commercial video games. At this point in time virtually nobody's surprised nor really upset that products get more expensive, because so many have already increased in price. On the other hand, expecting price cuts in 2023 is pretty nuts, because the world isn't going to go back to the old prices, i.e. deflation. What we'll see at best in 2023 is that the inflation rates return to their normal of 1-2% per year instead of the current madness of ~10% in Europe specifically.

More likely than price cuts are adjustments to all SKUs by adding a bit more value to them while maintaining the current prices. Due to Switch's age, I'd expect any possible price increase of the hardware to go hand in hand with one game being bundled as a standard practice, because that's the best way to bump the perceived value of a console package.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

rapsuperstar31 said:

Come on Nintendo give us some sales updates on smaller titles like Metroid Dread, Bayonetta 2, and Yoshi. If these games are no longer selling it's long past time to come out with a Players Choice line of games.

Dude, they are giving updates every year for all million sellers through CESA Games White Paper. That was a few months ago. That's where we got from that Bayonetta 2 topped 1mil as of the end of 2021.