By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Oh noooooooo!: tri-Ace announces huge loss. Possible state of insolvency.

They're better off going mobile

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Pemalite said:

Gamepass tends to challenge that traditional line of thinking thankfully.

I think a Microsoft purchase would be great, one of the issues Tri-Ace tends to have is production values outside of Japan... And Microsft has the resources to turn that around.

Haven't seem Yakuza selling more on Xbox than on PS and it launched on GP. But yes being on GP can increase the number of people playing that game in Xbox versus they buying the game.

Gamepass is all about a subscriber base, not sales. Hence why games that typically sell better on another platform is ultimately redundant.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

KratosLives said:

They're better off going mobile

They tried that.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

ice said:
DonFerrari said:

Haven't seem Yakuza selling more on Xbox than on PS and it launched on GP. But yes being on GP can increase the number of people playing that game in Xbox versus they buying the game.

zero129 said:

I didnt see anyone in here saying JRPG's sell best on xbox till you said it now.

However JRPG's have been doing great on PC since we get everyone of them now so clearly thats a market MS can use.

The person was giving a justification that MS should buy Tri-Ace because JRPGs do better outside of Japan than inside. So since that would also include not launching in PS (there are plenty more evidence of MS not releasing a game on PS than they releasing), then for his argument to make some sense it would need to have the game selling more in Xbox.

uh no? The reason MS should buy Tri-Ace is because they're struggling and MS is looking to expand into JP and diversify their Gamepass offerings, the argument that they shouldn't because "XBox doesn't sell in JP" doesn't make sense here. Me saying that JRPGs tend to do better in the west means that it will still help and boost Gamepass for those seeking JRPG titles on the service/platform even if xbox continues to not be a major player in JP.

The argument isn't only because they don't sell in japan, is also that they don't have userbase for JRPGs so locking the content there wouldn't do good for customers or dev. But sure if MS bought them and kept them feed lack of sales wouldn't mean much for the dev itself. But still besides the few titles that are big on PS/perhaps Switch most JRPGs still do better on Japan versus rest of the world even when userbase is like 20 times bigger outside of Japan.

zero129 said:
DonFerrari said:

zero129 said:

I didnt see anyone in here saying JRPG's sell best on xbox till you said it now.

However JRPG's have been doing great on PC since we get everyone of them now so clearly thats a market MS can use.

The person was giving a justification that MS should buy Tri-Ace because JRPGs do better outside of Japan than inside. So since that would also include not launching in PS (there are plenty more evidence of MS not releasing a game on PS than they releasing), then for his argument to make some sense it would need to have the game selling more in Xbox.

So now you put words into peoples mouths to justify your stance?. No where did they say JRPG's do better on Xbox. and remember Pc's sell in japan and all over the world and like i said JRPG's have been doing great on PC as thats why the is pretty much no JRPG thats not also on PC. so Ms buying them in no way means Xbox exclusive. Ms is Xbox, Pc and Mobile.

Seems like you just distorted all I said, so not even going to say it again.

Pemalite said:
DonFerrari said:

Gamepass is all about a subscriber base, not sales. Hence why games that typically sell better on another platform is ultimately redundant.

Yes gamepass is about subs, that would even obscure how well a game itself done. I dunno why that would be redundant, publishers seems to like the idea of their gaming selling on the other platforms even when they put it on GP.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Pemalite said:

Yes gamepass is about subs, that would even obscure how well a game itself done. I dunno why that would be redundant, publishers seems to like the idea of their gaming selling on the other platforms even when they put it on GP.

Because sales on Xbox is irrelevant due to gamepass.
Any sales from the revenue/lump sum received from gamepass is just a bonus.

Microsoft tends to be open to selling on other platforms, many of their games do, I would argue more than Sony or Nintendo, but Microsoft is trying to sell services...
A Tri-Ace purchase doesn't mean Microsoft won't release titles on other devices.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

The most likely scenario anyway is Tri Ace closes. Some of the staff forms a new studio. SE still farms to them for Star Ocean.

Last edited by Leynos - on 07 October 2022

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!