By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Oh noooooooo!: tri-Ace announces huge loss. Possible state of insolvency.

DonFerrari said:
ice said:

They already confirmed to be in talks with several JP devs to be acquired, JRPGs sell most in the west anyways and these games will be on PC (that has a seemingly large JRPG fanbase). If you don't think a struggling dev will love to be bought out by MS, think again. 

Some JRPGs sell better on west, but would be hard to prove that JRPG in general sell most in the west, even more on Xbox. I don't remember a single JRPG being multiplat and selling most on xbox.

I would never claim a JRPG selling best on xbox lol I think most people know xbox isn't exactly the holy mecca of JRPG sales, but it's an area Xbox knows it has to improve on hence the recent JP interest. That being said I feel like this thread has been kinda hijacked by Xbox so imma just end with that I hope Tri-Ace and other struggling devs find a solution.

Around the Network
ice said:
DonFerrari said:

Some JRPGs sell better on west, but would be hard to prove that JRPG in general sell most in the west, even more on Xbox. I don't remember a single JRPG being multiplat and selling most on xbox.

I would never claim a JRPG selling best on xbox lol I think most people know xbox isn't exactly the holy mecca of JRPG sales, but it's an area Xbox knows it has to improve on hence the recent JP interest. That being said I feel like this thread has been kinda hijacked by Xbox so imma just end with that I hope Tri-Ace and other struggling devs find a solution.

Ok but even if we were thinking Nintendo or PS5, hardly I could say that it is a common occurence for JRPGs to sell best in west than in Japan. Some high production JRPGs do sell better worldwide, but for a vast amount of the others they have little presence outside of Japan. And locking them to Xbox that have little presence in Japan and for JRPGs it isn't the biggest platform worldwide would limit a lot of the reach.

But yes I hope Tri-Ace can recover.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
ice said:

Ok but even if we were thinking Nintendo or PS5, hardly I could say that it is a common occurence for JRPGs to sell best in west than in Japan. Some high production JRPGs do sell better worldwide, but for a vast amount of the others they have little presence outside of Japan. And locking them to Xbox that have little presence in Japan and for JRPGs it isn't the biggest platform worldwide would limit a lot of the reach.

Gamepass tends to challenge that traditional line of thinking thankfully.

I think a Microsoft purchase would be great, one of the issues Tri-Ace tends to have is production values outside of Japan... And Microsft has the resources to turn that around.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Anyway. Who else is buying Star Ocean 6?

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

DonFerrari said:
ice said:

They already confirmed to be in talks with several JP devs to be acquired, JRPGs sell most in the west anyways and these games will be on PC (that has a seemingly large JRPG fanbase). If you don't think a struggling dev will love to be bought out by MS, think again. 

I didnt see anyone in here saying JRPG's sell best on xbox till you said it now.

However JRPG's have been doing great on PC since we get everyone of them now so clearly thats a market MS can use.

Around the Network
Leynos said:

I will be getting it not sure if on release. need to see them review scores first.

Leynos said:

Day 1.

Pemalite said:
DonFerrari said:

I think a Microsoft purchase would be great, one of the issues Tri-Ace tends to have is production values outside of Japan... And Microsft has the resources to turn that around.

Haven't seem Yakuza selling more on Xbox than on PS and it launched on GP. But yes being on GP can increase the number of people playing that game in Xbox versus they buying the game.

zero129 said:
DonFerrari said:

I didnt see anyone in here saying JRPG's sell best on xbox till you said it now.

However JRPG's have been doing great on PC since we get everyone of them now so clearly thats a market MS can use.

The person was giving a justification that MS should buy Tri-Ace because JRPGs do better outside of Japan than inside. So since that would also include not launching in PS (there are plenty more evidence of MS not releasing a game on PS than they releasing), then for his argument to make some sense it would need to have the game selling more in Xbox.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Pemalite said:

Haven't seem Yakuza selling more on Xbox than on PS and it launched on GP. But yes being on GP can increase the number of people playing that game in Xbox versus they buying the game.

zero129 said:

The person was giving a justification that MS should buy Tri-Ace because JRPGs do better outside of Japan than inside. So since that would also include not launching in PS (there are plenty more evidence of MS not releasing a game on PS than they releasing), then for his argument to make some sense it would need to have the game selling more in Xbox.

uh no? The reason MS should buy Tri-Ace is because they're struggling and MS is looking to expand into JP and diversify their Gamepass offerings, the argument that they shouldn't because "XBox doesn't sell in JP" doesn't make sense here. Me saying that JRPGs tend to do better in the west means that it will still help and boost Gamepass for those seeking JRPG titles on the service/platform even if xbox continues to not be a major player in JP.

DonFerrari said:
Pemalite said:

zero129 said:

So now you put words into peoples mouths to justify your stance?. No where did they say JRPG's do better on Xbox. and remember Pc's sell in japan and all over the world and like i said JRPG's have been doing great on PC as thats why the is pretty much no JRPG thats not also on PC. so Ms buying them in no way means Xbox exclusive. Ms is Xbox, Pc and Mobile.