By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Oh noooooooo!: tri-Ace announces huge loss. Possible state of insolvency.

JRPGfan said:
DroidKnight said:

It also seems Sony hasn't been pushing the JRPG's as much lately.  JRPG's has always been my main reason for owning my Playstations. 

This.

Imo, they should make sure it stays that way (ei. People that enjoy rpgs, want to own playstations).
Get a studio with a good IP, that just needs better leadership, to work again? and likely for cheap? win win.

Personally, I've been pretty much playing JRPGs on Switch for the past few years. I actually skipped the PS4 version of Dragon Quest XI in favor of the Switch version. That's part of why I haven't really been busting my ass looking for a PS5. 

Around the Network

Switch is the best place for JRPGs atm. I doubt that changes with Switch 2. Nintendo owns Japan now.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

Switch is the best place for JRPGs atm. I doubt that changes with Switch 2. Nintendo owns Japan now.

I hope Switch gets all future JRPGs, but unfortunately that won't happen.

Blood_Tears said:
dane007 said:

Would thst mean that it will be on gamepass and possible but out from Sony and ms?

Why would it go to gamepass because of this? SE owns the IP and they make that decision as the publisher, not Tri-Ace. SO6 is out this month so if you're interested you can actually "Buy" this game. 

Sony owns the SO ip? i never knew that if true. And you can still buy any game thats on gamepass. Its not one or the other.

zero129 said:
Blood_Tears said:

Why would it go to gamepass because of this? SE owns the IP and they make that decision as the publisher, not Tri-Ace. SO6 is out this month so if you're interested you can actually "Buy" this game. 

Sony owns the SO ip? i never knew that if true. And you can still buy any game thats on gamepass. Its not one or the other.

Sony does not own SO. SO is on Xbox. Switch and other platforms and originated on SNES.  First Departure is on Switch. 4 was on 360. He said SE as on Square Enix.

Around the Network
Leynos said:
zero129 said:

Sony does not own SO. SO is on Xbox. Switch and other platforms and originated on SNES.  First Departure is on Switch. 4 was on 360. He said SE as on Square Enix.

Now i get it. He means SE as in SquareEnix. I thought when he said Se he meant Sony entertainment my bad.

zero129 said:
Leynos said:

Now i get it. He means SE as in SquareEnix. I thought when he said Se he meant Sony entertainment my bad.

Yes, the difference between the two are SE = Square Enix and SIE = Sony Interactive Entertainment.

Blood_Tears said:
zero129 said:

Yes, the difference between the two are SE = Square Enix and SIE = Sony Interactive Entertainment.

Yep never noticed that at first like i said my bad sorry .

DroidKnight said:

It also seems Sony hasn't been pushing the JRPG's as much lately.  JRPG's has always been my main reason for owning my Playstations. 

Internally, sure. But this is why they negotiate deals with SE for instance.

And fwiw, speculation is that they have JRPGs in development through Media.Vision and JP Games.

shikamaru317 said:
twintail said:

Buy a failing studio with zero IP to their name?

Don't even really need to acquire them, Xbox is badly in need of JP exclusives so they could simply contract them out to make an original JRPG IP as a 2nd party exclusive for Xbox, giving them the cash infusion they need to survive. tri-Ace makes good games though, and in the past they made the bestselling JRPG Xbox exclusive/timed exclusive (Star Ocean The Last Hope which sold 790k worldwide units on Xbox 360, and was also the bestselling Xbox 360 game in Japan itself, beating out Lost Odyssey even though Lost Odyssey was lifetime exclusive and The Last Hope was only 1 year timed), so I would certainly be happy with Xbox acquiring them.

According to reliable sources, Xbox is currently looking to acquire both JP publishers and independent JP studios, what better acquisition for them than a studio that is desperate enough to sell to a western company due to being on the doorstep of bankruptcy? The fact that they are desperate and own no IP would make them quite cheap too, Xbox could acquire them for peanuts, unlike a more successful independent JP studio such as Platinum or Level-5 or CC2 which would cost them more money. Low risk acquisition for potentially high reward.

No one is buying a failing developer out of pity. The fact that Tri-ace are struggling, and haven't really hit it out of the park game wise in a very long time might make them a cheap get, but it also doesn't make them a reliable one either.

There are ways to make the acquisition work, of course. And like you mention, MS is looking around Japan.

But this is a risky buy for them, with money that would be better used going towards establishing a relationship with a studio that isn't on the verge of crumbling.

So in that sense, publishing their next game might be a safer approach. But I'm also now sure how Tri-aces owner factors into the financial side of things.

If MS were to buy a studio from Japan it should be Level-5. They can make quality games. They are just poorly managed to try to do too much so they have run into financial problems and MS could give them a western division again.