By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Direct dedicated to Super Mario Bros movie happening October 6th

Looks great. Hope its funny.

Around the Network

Chris Pratt's voice sounded lame, but the rest of it looked quite good. Kids and people who are parents that grew up with Mario will probably enjoy it would be my guess.

Based on Illumination’s subpar track record, the unusual casting choices, and the troubled history of video game movies, I suspect a lot of us had super-low expectations.

Yet that trailer suggests a shockingly competent movie. I’m looking forward to seeing more :)

It looks fantastic visually. Very good animation. The voices are mostly solid. I like Chris Pratt's VA too. Better than an over the top Italian accent for two hours straight. That would make my ears bleed.

Looks very promising.

My take:

Everything with Bowser looked amazing! I really liked that they made him a badass villain that could destroy a castle, and not just a campy dude in a clown car or something like that. Toad also looked awesome.

Mario and Luigi do not look quite right though. Something looks off in the face. It's like they are both too detailed yet too cartoony at the same time. I am getting an uncanny valley vibe from the way they look in the face.

Around the Network

The Bowser part was shockingly good. They take him seriously as a threat, but not so seriously there's no humor in the scene. The Mario part is disappointing in comparison because there's still so little to go on from there. Mario only has generic 1 line about entering the Mushroom Kingdom, and that's not enough to get a sense of how he's written or Pratt's performance.

Nintendo lost their marbles. 35min long video, for 4mins of relevant information. They opening screen and countdown down was longer than he trailer.

Visually it looks great, if their next console can't output those visual in Mario, it will be disappointing.

The voice acting not so sure, feels weird for Mario.

I am very excited for this man! It looks really cool!! I loved everything about it!!

Not even slightly excited for this. Mario storyline was pretty much noexistent and neither the world nor the characters are particular entertaining to motivated me to go to theaters

It's also produced by Illumination which has the incredible tracks of zero good animated movies 

Remember to @ me when they decided to make a The Legend of Zelda movie

Cobretti2 said:

Nintendo lost their marbles. 35min long video, for 4mins of relevant information. They opening screen and countdown down was longer than he trailer.

Visually it looks great, if their next console can't output those visual in Mario, it will be disappointing.

The voice acting not so sure, feels weird for Mario.

There's no console that could run those "graphics" lol, it would take stacks of PS5/XSXs days to render probably even a few seconds of footage when you factor in the lighting, reflections, "raytracing" etc. 

Consoles "cheat" a lot by having pre-baked lighting and reflections and what not, CG movies are on a totally different level. Though yes, if the next Switch is about a PS4+ in power with DLSS, sure you could have a Mario game where certain elements look like what we could consider pre-rendered a while ago.