By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The NFL Thread 2022: Casual Edition... or perhaps not?

Who will win Super Bowl LVII?

Buffalo Bills 4 40.00%

Baltimore Ravens 0 0%

Tennessee Titans 1 10.00%

Kansas City Chiefs 2 20.00%

Philadelphia Eagles 1 10.00%

Green Bay Backers 0 0%

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 0 0%

Los Angeles Rams 0 0%

Other (AFC) 0 0%

Other (NFC) 2 20.00%

Total:10

Bengals are firing on all cylinders! Could they upset the Chiefs again? Mahomes is injured.

Last edited by KLAMarine - on 23 January 2023

Around the Network

And then there were four.

49ers-Eagles.
Bengals - Chiefs.

Yeah, the Bengals looked great this week, but they also looked like crap against the Ravens in a game they should've lost if we're being honest. Though, I do like them to beat the Chiefs (again) especially with Mahomes' injury.

But honestly, it's the OTHER Championship game that we should be focused on.
I honestly believe whoever wins between the 49ers and Eagles is winning the Super Bowl. They're the most complete teams left and they're also the healthiest teams left.

Bengals made the super bowl last year and just wiped the floor with the bills... and burrow is 3-0 against Mahomes... not sure what else the Bengals need to do to be considered the real deal.

PAOerfulone said:
Chris Hu said:

The Eagles, 49ers and Chiefs should all win easily this weekend. The Bengals versus the Bills is the only one that could go either way. I'm pretty sure the NFL wants the Bengals to win since I doubt, they want to have the AFC championship game at a neutral site.

Not so sure about the Eagles. As @Angelus said, they've been very iffy since Hurts got hurt. Plus, the Giants are rolling and rested. They didn't play any of their key players in Week 18, essentially giving them a bye week. And Division games are always tough. 

And I want to believe the 49ers got it in the bag... But those fucking Cowboys, man.

I actually think, and said it at the time to my father-in-law who is a Giants fan, that it was a huge mistake on Daboll's part to not even try to figure out what does or doesn't work against a team that they might well end up facing in the playoffs and did.  In 2007, the Giants had a playoff spot locked up regardless of what was going to happen in the final week of the season against the undefeated New England Patriots.  All the NY media at the time was saying how it wasn't the Giants responsbility to try to stop the Patriots from finishing the regular season undefeated, at that Tom Coughlin, the Giants head coach at the time, should rest his starters.  Coughlin chose not to take the week off and played his starters.  The Patriots won, but had to score 38 points to eke out a 3 point victory in the game.  Meanwhile, Coughlin and the Giants gained some very valuable in game experience that may very well have proved the difference a little over a month later when the Giants held the Patriots offense to 14 points and defeated them in the Super Bowl.  

The Giants got into the post-season on a soft schedule, while actually finishing the year 0-6 against NFC playoff teams.  That's not the kind of team that should be playing their backups against a potential playoff opponent.  All due credit to them for beating Minnesota on the road in their rematch.  But, I saw the Vikings as fraud contenders midway through the season to begin with.  Legitimate 13 win teams don't have blowout defeats to the tune of 24-7, 40-3, and 41-17 in their loss column.  And, in the games that they won, they struggled mightily to eke out victories against teams with losing records like the Colts, Jets, Saints, and Patriots.  They were never going to be long for this postseason.

PAOerfulone said:

49ers-Eagles.
Bengals - Chiefs.

Yeah, the Bengals looked great this week, but they also looked like crap against the Ravens in a game they should've lost if we're being honest. Though, I do like them to beat the Chiefs (again) especially with Mahomes' injury.

I honestly believe whoever wins between the 49ers and Eagles is winning the Super Bowl. They're the most complete teams left and they're also the healthiest teams left.

I, think you are forgetting that the best two remaining quarterbacks are on the AFC site.  Also the Chiefs easily beat the 49ers during the regular season so if it comes down to the Chiefs versus the 49ers in the Super Bowl the Chiefs will be favored to win it all.

Around the Network
Chris Hu said:
PAOerfulone said:

49ers-Eagles.
Bengals - Chiefs.

I, think you are forgetting that the best two remaining quarterbacks are on the AFC site.  Also the Chiefs easily beat the 49ers during the regular season so if it comes down to the Chiefs versus the 49ers in the Super Bowl the Chiefs will be favored to win it all.

Mahomes is injured and his defense is trash. The Jaguars had many chances to win that game, but didn't cash in. As expected from a team making their first playoff appearance.

The 49ers had a bunch of players on defense injured or hobbled/not 100% in that game, Jimmy G was still the QB, and that was CMC's first game on just 4 days notice, he was nowhere near as familiar with the playbook as he is now. Now, they're as healthy as they've ever been, Purdy is playing far better than Jimmy ever did, and CMC is rolling. 

The Eagles, are the one team in the league who have a better OL than the Chiefs, while also having a FAR better DL (they have 4 players with at least 10 sacks and led the league by a country mile in that department) and defense in general. They're absolutely stacked on both sides of the ball and Hurts is an MVP candidate, so it's not like the drop-off from Mahomes to him is all that drastic.

Mahomes injury' changes things dramatically. A high ankle sprain is a major issue. That's normally a 6-8 week injury. The Super Bowl is in 3 weeks. He's not going to be the same Patrick Mahomes, physically, we're used to seeing. That's a MAJOR problem for the Chiefs. 

Besides, I'm not so sure the Chiefs should be favored the Bengals given Mahomes' injury plus for some reason the Bengals are the one team that the Chiefs can't seem to beat.

Speaking of the Bengals, if it wasn't for that dumb call at the goal-line last week, they'd be sitting at home right now. The Ravens gave that game away while playing with their backup QB. So don't blame me if I'm not all that sold or impressed with the Bengals.

They were there last year. Burrow was and is a much better QB than Stafford. But the Rams had the better team and Cooper Kupp and Aaron Donald sealed the deal for them. If they do get back there again, it's going to be the same deal but worse. They'll be up against a superior roster w/ a DL than can absolutely dominate the line of scrimmage against the Bengals' inferior OL. They couldn't block Aaron Donald or Von Miller last year. How the Hell are they supposed to block Nick Bosa, Arik Armstead, and Charles Omenihu? Or Haason Reddick, Brandon Graham, Javon Hargrave, Josh Sweat, and Fletcher Cox? Burrow will either have to get the ball out as quick as possible and hope Jamar Chase and Tee Higgins can avoid getting drilled by Fred Warner, Dre Greenlaw, Jimmie Ward, or Talanoa Hufanga. Or TJ Edwards, CJ Gardner-Johnson, Darius Slay, or James Bradberry. Either that, or Burrow will be running for his life the whole game or handing the ball off to Joe Mixon 25-30 times. That last one might get some results against the Eagles. But the 49ers? Who have the #1 Run Defense in all of football? No chance.

The 49ers and Eagles are both getting great play from their cheap QBs, one of whom is an MVP candidate, and they have betters supporting casts around them on BOTH sides of the ball, not just one.

Last edited by PAOerfulone - on 24 January 2023

PAOerfulone said:
Chris Hu said:

Mahomes is injured and his defense is trash. The Jaguars had many chances to win that game, but didn't cash in. As expected from a team making their first playoff appearance.

The 49ers had a bunch of players on defense injured or hobbled/not 100% in that game, Jimmy G was still the QB, and that was CMC's first game on just 4 days notice, he was nowhere near as familiar with the playbook as he is now. Now, they're as healthy as they've ever been, Purdy is playing far better than Jimmy ever did, and CMC is rolling. 

The Eagles, are the one team in the league who have a better OL than the Chiefs, while also having a FAR better DL (they have 4 players with at least 10 sacks and led the league by a country mile in that department) and defense in general. They're absolutely stacked on both sides of the ball and Hurts is an MVP candidate, so it's not like the drop-off from Mahomes to him is all that drastic.

Mahomes injury' changes things dramatically. A high ankle sprain is a major issue. That's normally a 6-8 week injury. The Super Bowl is in 3 weeks. He's not going to be the same Patrick Mahomes, physically, we're used to seeing. That's a MAJOR problem for the Chiefs. 

Besides, I'm not so sure the Chiefs should be favored the Bengals given Mahomes' injury plus for some reason the Bengals are the one team that the Chiefs can't seem to beat.

Speaking of the Bengals, if it wasn't for that dumb call at the goal-line last week, they'd be sitting at home right now. The Ravens gave that game away while playing with their backup QB. So don't blame me if I'm not all that sold or impressed with the Bengals.

They were there last year. Burrow was and is a much better QB than Stafford. But the Rams had the better team and Cooper Kupp and Aaron Donald sealed the deal for them. If they do get back there again, it's going to be the same deal but worse. They'll be up against a superior roster w/ a DL than can absolutely dominate the line of scrimmage against the Bengals' inferior OL. They couldn't block Aaron Donald or Von Miller last year. How the Hell are they supposed to block Nick Bosa, Arik Armstead, and Charles Omenihu? Or Haason Reddick, Brandon Graham, Javon Hargrave, Josh Sweat, and Fletcher Cox? Burrow will either have to get the ball out as quick as possible and hope Jamar Chase and Tee Higgins can avoid getting drilled by Fred Warner, Dre Greenlaw, Jimmie Ward, or Talanoa Hufanga. Or TJ Edwards, CJ Gardner-Johnson, Darius Slay, or James Bradberry. Either that, or Burrow will be running for his life the whole game or handing the ball off to Joe Mixon 25-30 times. That last one might get some results against the Eagles. But the 49ers? Who have the #1 Run Defense in all of football? No chance.

The 49ers and Eagles are both getting great play from their cheap QBs, one of whom is an MVP candidate, and they have betters supporting casts around them on BOTH sides of the ball, not just one.

Weak argument.  If Dak wasn't a turnover machine the 49ers would be sitting at home.   Argument goes both ways.

Bengals have an entire new o-line that is much better than last year.  And by the by, the Bengals play really good defense.  6th in the league for points allowed.  

Bills have a great defense.  Burrow was going to run for his life, no way they could run the ball......  27-10

Sometimes I wonder if you even watch sports.

The reality is all four remaining teams are very good and any one of them could take the title.  Going to be some good football.

*slight side note, I'm not sold on a rookie 6th round QB winning the title, if Purdy does that will be quite impressive 

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 24 January 2023

I'm hoping for an Eagles vs Bengals SB.

Chrkeller said:
PAOerfulone said:

Weak argument.  If Dak wasn't a turnover machine the 49ers would be sitting at home.   Argument goes both ways.

“Difference is: Cowboys-49ers was supposed to be a juggernaut with the game coming down to turnover battle. Ravens-Bengals should never have been a contest and the fact that it was that close and the Ravens had a chance w/ their backup QB is an embarrassment for the Bengals.”

Bengals have an entire new o-line that is much better than last year.  And by the by, the Bengals play really good defense.  6th in the league for points allowed.  

“Are they really that much better? They still gave up 44 sacks this year, which is 11th most in the league and the most out of the 4 teams left. This was after they were 3rd in the league last year w/ 55 sacks allowed. Yeah, not impressed w/ that OL whatsoever. The 49ers or Eagles’ DL is going to rip them to shreds. Assuming they make it past the Chiefs.”

Bills have a great defense.  Burrow was going to run for his life, no way they could run the ball......  27-10

“Not since Von Miller went down for the year. That’s a pretty big player to lose on your defense. As a player AND a leader. They weren’t the same after that.”

Sometimes I wonder if you even watch sports.

The reality is all four remaining teams are very good and any one of them could take the title.  Going to be some good football.

*slight side note, I'm not sold on a rookie 6th round QB winning the title, if Purdy does that will be quite impressive 

Bengals are a disaster so far. At this rate game will be over by half time.