By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Saudi Arabia sets aside $13b for acquisition of a "leading game publisher"

Sayonara Sega. We knew this was coming.

Around the Network

I don't like how heavily involved Saudi Arabia is getting into the gaming industry. There's already some censorship and changes made to games to appease countries like China. If Saudi Arabia outright owns a leading game publisher, who knows what kind of changes they can enforce.

shikamaru317 said:
gtotheunit91 said:

I don't like how heavily involved Saudi Arabia is getting into the gaming industry. There's already some censorship and changes made to games to appease countries like China. If Saudi Arabia outright owns a leading game publisher, who knows what kind of changes they can enforce.

Hmmm, didn't they already buy out SNK Playmore? I thought I heard they did. Has there been any censorship in SNK's games since they sold to Saudi Arabia? 

Saudi Arabia doesn't own SNK entirely. 96% to be exact which is really bizarre lol. Idk who owns the remaining 4%.

But that 4% may be all SNK needed to continue making the games they want, which is what they said after the purchase. SNK's exact quote was "will have no effect on the games we make"

Hmmm I didn't really read but is the 13 billion for one company? Or several. The closest to that number is Bandai Namco, Nexon, Take-two, Roblox. Highly doubt any of them tbh, the closest is Bandai Namco but Bandai aren't just for games, like they are one of the biggest toy company so unlikely. Maybe a subsidiary, like I remember Warner Bros wanting to sell their gaming division, or Rockstar for example.

I can see Krafton (Pubg), Capcom, or Sega. Krafton because they are the most reasonable number sitting at 6.75b. Typically acquisitions cost more than the market cap, so if they're accounting for the additional fee it would make sense. Plus Pubg is a big IP even in Saudi with many competitive scenes. It sounds like Saudi is investing in esports so it would make sense to secure a competitive game. The only issue is that Tencent is behind Pubg as well so it wouldn't be easy, which is why I took out Ubisoft as a possibility. Capcom because they already have SNK, Capcom and SNK were rivals making fighting games. Maybe Saudi loves fighting game... Perhaps we might see another collaboration with Capcom and SNK if this is true. Sega Sammy is weird, because they also have multiple division like slots and arcades. I wonder if Saudi would want all of that, although slots and Saudi would make a lot of sense. Speaking of slots, Konami is probs out of the conversation bcuz it looks like Saudi wants a gaming company and Konami doesn't make games nomore lol. Also speaking of slots, there are multiple companies that go under "gaming" such as Aristocrat and Entain. They are also sitting at a close number to 13b, one is 14, and the other is 7.

I bet EA would love being purchased while they are still big. Their IPs have long stopped having the weight they used to have, and their loss of the FIFA license (not to mention increasing microtransaction and online gambling regulations) are denting the profitability of EA sports. A buyout now could be a great exit before things start going south

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

Thanks, I hate it.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I would bet almost anything its Embracer.

Saudi Arabia already own 8.1% of Embracer (from an investment of $1 billion in June 2022) and we've been saying for a long time that the entire idea of Embracer, was a company set up to be bought out eventually.

They spent $1 billion on 8.1% so the remaining 91.9% at the same price would be - $11.34 billion. Include a premium its bang on the money.

SegaHeart said:

Updated from 2 years later of 2020. Nintendo is tier 1 with Sony while Sega is tier 2 and the weak ones are Capcom and Square Tier 3. Please make Sega tier 1 this year.

Nintendo is probably on there because it is arguably Japan’s single biggest cultural export to the rest of the world. 

It's probably Embracer with Ubisoft a distant second. But Squeenix supposedly also wants to be sold so who knows?

Dallinor said:

I would bet almost anything its Embracer.

Saudi Arabia already own 8.1% of Embracer (from an investment of $1 billion in June 2022) and we've been saying for a long time that the entire idea of Embracer, was a company set up to be bought out eventually.

They spent $1 billion on 8.1% so the remaining 91.9% at the same price would be - $11.34 billion. Include a premium its bang on the money.

I mean best case scenario for me is Embracer bcuz I don't really care too much about their games