By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 38, 2022 (Sep 12 - Sep 18)

Like I predicted last year we are heading for another 5M+ year of hardware for the Switch - https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9330650

Also Splatoon 3 is likely to hit 4M on Famitsu like I thought - https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9350592

"Anybody worried about YoY comparisons forgets about what an impact a game like Splatoon 3 combined with the rest of the titles I've over-viewed can do in terms of generating additional demand in the country - for new buyers or players looking to upgrade to OLED or whatever other revisions or updates Nintendo decide to go with for 2022. If things are bad they could always drop the price as well, prompting additional short term demand and higher sales in the holidays.

In the end I expect 2022 to land above 2019 and maybe even challenge 2021 - it all depends on Splatoon 3 mainly but Arceus, Breath of the Wild sequel, revisions, price-cuts could also be factors. In anycase an interesting year ahead is in store. I personally expect Splatoon 3 to manage 4 million physical this year alone - and this will surely impact hardware sales as the craze around the game reaches a boiling point.



Around the Network

HFW is mostly bundled right now.



Kakadu18 said:

HFW is mostly bundled right now.

Is the price extra too? That's kinda scummy but smart



2022 will be the first year in the history of Switch, in which every week is above 50k in Japan.



The huge number of Pokemon games are making those games legs shorter than what they could potentially be if they weren't replaced so fast

With Scarlet and Violet there will be fifth Pokemon games to buy on Switch, which is a lot. I won't be surprised if they release a Black and White sequel in 2 years



Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:

The huge number of Pokemon games are making those games legs shorter than what they could potentially be if they weren't replaced so fast

With Scarlet and Violet there will be fifth Pokemon games to buy on Switch, which is a lot. I won't be surprised if they release a Black and White sequel in 2 years

Yeah it was bad enough that they had DP remake and Arceus a couple months apart, but then like 3 weeks after Arceus launched they announced the fully open world Scarlet/Violet coming just 9 months later. Nintendo basically decided to give Arceus its launch window to sell and then they would completely cut it off. I bought Arceus a week after it came out, but if I had waited two more weeks and saw the V/S announcement there's no way I would have bought the only partially open-world Arceus, I would have just waited. So Nintendo probably cut off millions of Arceus sales with that silly announcement. There's no doubt Arceus would have flown by BD/SP sales if had waited on V/S, at least given Arceus like 6 months to sell before announcing the next Pokemon.

I'm thinking the next Pokemon will be cross gen with Switch 2 launch in 2 to 2.5 years. After releasing 3 Pokemon games in a year ya figure that maybe, just maybe, it'll take them a couple years to get another one done. But maybe they are planning on putting out one more remake or something on just the Switch say like in first half of 2024. It would not surprise me at all if like early 2024 there was another Pokemon remake on Switch and then Spring 2025 a cross-gen gen10 Pokemon launched with Switch 2.



Slownenberg said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

The huge number of Pokemon games are making those games legs shorter than what they could potentially be if they weren't replaced so fast

With Scarlet and Violet there will be fifth Pokemon games to buy on Switch, which is a lot. I won't be surprised if they release a Black and White sequel in 2 years

Yeah it was bad enough that they had DP remake and Arceus a couple months apart, but then like 3 weeks after Arceus launched they announced the fully open world Scarlet/Violet coming just 9 months later. Nintendo basically decided to give Arceus its launch window to sell and then they would completely cut it off. I bought Arceus a week after it came out, but if I had waited two more weeks and saw the V/S announcement there's no way I would have bought the only partially open-world Arceus, I would have just waited. So Nintendo probably cut off millions of Arceus sales with that silly announcement. There's no doubt Arceus would have flown by BD/SP sales if had waited on V/S, at least given Arceus like 6 months to sell before announcing the next Pokemon.

I'm thinking the next Pokemon will be cross gen with Switch 2 launch in 2 to 2.5 years. After releasing 3 Pokemon games in a year ya figure that maybe, just maybe, it'll take them a couple years to get another one done. But maybe they are planning on putting out one more remake or something on just the Switch say like in first half of 2024. It would not surprise me at all if like early 2024 there was another Pokemon remake on Switch and then Spring 2025 a cross-gen gen10 Pokemon launched with Switch 2.

The Gen 10 Pokémon will definitely come in 2025, most likely in mid November. They've had a 3 year cycle for over 10 years now.

They will most likely do it like with Sw/Sh and have S/V DLC next year. 2024 will probably have B/W remakes.



That Splatoon/Animal Crossing studio is just hitting for Nintendo like Aaron Judge is for the Yankees right now!



PAOerfulone said:

That Splatoon/Animal Crossing studio is just hitting for Nintendo like Aaron Judge is for the Yankees right now!

Ye EPD5 might just be Nintendo's best studio in terms of sales.



Shatts said:
PAOerfulone said:

That Splatoon/Animal Crossing studio is just hitting for Nintendo like Aaron Judge is for the Yankees right now!

Ye EPD5 might just be Nintendo's best studio in terms of sales.

Because they understand their home turf market better than most Japanese companies right now. The Japanese culture for a long long time has been a culture that is more colorful, and lighthearted in its esthetics. Outside of the video game pop culture and anime, it has been this way for a few decades and I don't see that changing anytime soon. From the food you buy, to outdoor activities it's vastly different from the western counterparts. So when you make a game that lines up with a lot of what you see in everyday pop culture, along with portable multiplayer you have a good recipe for a potentially massive hit in the video game market. When a Japanese video game deviates from this multiplayer/colorful/kawaii overtone then it's way more of a gamble if your game will be super successful or not. 

Last edited by Ashadelo - 20 hours ago

我是广州人