By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Sales Top 400K, PS5 LT Sales Top 23M - Worldwide Hardware Estimates for Sep 4-10

yo33331 said:

Nice boost for Switch. I think that was it .. The next weeks till holidays should be ~300k. With holidays I expect little decrease from last year. Last year Switch had holiday weeks of around 1M and black friday 1.4M. I expect this year most holiday weeks to be around ~900k and 1.2M for the black friday one. Way lower than the DS ones.. most of them being over 1.1M. And that is what will finish the Switch in around 20M for the year.

Especially with seeing PS5 and XBSX stock improving! Good thing. I expect both of them to really start hitting 300k weekly (PS5) and doing over 200k (XBSX) in october and reaching holiday numbers like 500-600k weekly with black friday maybe touching 1M. (all of this if the stock is really there of course.)

As for the PS4 .. @trunks are we getting one last title for it next week ? for passing 117M ?

The thing with Switch is that Nintendo can afford to parry the current inflation (while still making a profit) while the others have raised the prices (outside of US). So in effect we might actually/are seeing and price drop of the Switch currently by the means of Nintendo keeping the price at the same price point. 

Around the Network
Spindel said:
yo33331 said:

Nice boost for Switch. I think that was it .. The next weeks till holidays should be ~300k. With holidays I expect little decrease from last year. Last year Switch had holiday weeks of around 1M and black friday 1.4M. I expect this year most holiday weeks to be around ~900k and 1.2M for the black friday one. Way lower than the DS ones.. most of them being over 1.1M. And that is what will finish the Switch in around 20M for the year.

Especially with seeing PS5 and XBSX stock improving! Good thing. I expect both of them to really start hitting 300k weekly (PS5) and doing over 200k (XBSX) in october and reaching holiday numbers like 500-600k weekly with black friday maybe touching 1M. (all of this if the stock is really there of course.)

As for the PS4 .. @trunks are we getting one last title for it next week ? for passing 117M ?

The thing with Switch is that Nintendo can afford to parry the current inflation (while still making a profit) while the others have raised the prices (outside of US). So in effect we might actually/are seeing and price drop of the Switch currently by the means of Nintendo keeping the price at the same price point. 

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Spindel said:
yo33331 said:

Just doesn't have the same feeling as a nice good fat $50-$100 price drop

我是广州人

Ashadelo said:
Spindel said:

Illogically, we industry watchers need to see that actual $ change to feel like we are in a price change environment.  Realistically (and psychologically), for end consumers as a whole group, inflationary factors ARE the price difference we talk about.

Ashadelo said:
Spindel said:

No but (outside of US) you feel it when Switch stays the same price while the competition raises the price $100-$150

EDIT:// Over here the PS5 went from $707 to $834 that is a $127 price increase (all prices ar including VAT)

Last edited by Spindel - on 22 September 2022

Around the Network

it's around $700 here in Malaysia

Edit: ours are all imported from Japan

我是广州人

Renamed said:
Norion said:

I wonder how many other systems have had a 400k+ week outside of the holiday period when over 5.5 years old. It wouldn't surprise me if the Switch is the only one so far.

That's a good question. I suspect the X360 may have done it during the Kinect surge.

Torpoleon said:

Maybe the DS hit 400k especially when BW released? That would actually be closer to the 6 year mark.

I checked and the Kinect was released during the holiday period and the DS didn't do it when that released so the only other one I can think of that might've done it is the Gameboy with its absurdly long lifespan. 

Mar1217 said:
Ashadelo said:

it's around $700 here in Malaysia

Edit: ours are all imported from Japan

At this point, we'll all have to believe the Japanese market supports the whole Asian continent. 

Makes me wonder how many consoles are actually really in the hand of Japanese homes ?

Realistically, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand, etc probably get a huge chunk if not all their systems from Japan. Our countries are so small we have to import, plus the imports are super cheap. For example, Shopee.com is the biggest online retailer here and most of their products come from China, Japan, Thailand, etc just depends on what your buying and where it's manufactured. 

我是广州人

Late to the potential party, but for the first time I am starting to think the Switch could catch the DS and ps2...

Chrkeller said:

Late to the potential party, but for the first time I am starting to think the Switch could catch the DS and ps2...

It really just depends on when you think Nintendo will release the follow up. If you’re like many who think it won’t be until late 2024 or early 2025 then it’s almost a done deal. If you think Nintendo will release a new system in 2023 (like many YouTubers) then it probably falls pretty short. 

Given the market, the current success of the Switch, the difficulty in acquiring parts, and the fact that Switch 2023 looks stacked with great games, I just don’t see Nintendo undermining their own success with a premature rollout of the next system. For once they seem to control their own destiny regarding their next system, which is just crazy after being on their heels for 20 years.