By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Opinion: Microsoft's acquisition of Bethesda and Activision do not benefit Xbox owners.

ConservagameR said:

If Game Pass doesn't take off, then it's only going to be a big benefit to XB owners if those games are all made exclusive, otherwise what was the point?

That's a good point: what would happen if Game Pass never really take off ?

To put stuff in perspective, Disney+ launched in 2019 after Disney buying almost everything entertainment related stuff, to a very cheap price (6,99$ if I recall correctly, now 8,99$ but still cheaper than Netflix). ANd now 3 years later, it sits at 150+ million subscribers despite the launch price being raised by 2$ since.

In comparison, GP launched in 2017, 5 years later we still can find ways to pay it almost nothing (1$ deals, Microsoft Awards stuff, Gold conversion, etc), the subscritpion numbers barely reached 25 million users, below MS's expectations, and yet they still invest a huge amount of money to make it worth it (which it definitly is).

But I am wondering if, after 10 years, with lets say 2000+ games in the service, most of the new releases being available day one, and still having to cope with heavy discounts and figures below 30 million users, would MS decide to take the plug off ?

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:Xbox console sales MS desperately needs. 

I don't think MS needs to sell consoles nowadays

There are still unseen ripples to the industry because of these massive acquisitions made by Microsoft.

Xbox players will benefit in the mid term with these acquisitions, but when other billion/trillion dollar companies start buying out publishers, and lock everything to their platform because of the streaming wars, then the industry will be permanently fragmented.

SvennoJ said:

70 billion is also equivalent to 140 million Series X to give away for free.
Or 389 million GP Ultimate subscriptions at full price for a year.
70 billion would pay to make GP free for the current about 30 million subscribers for the next 13 years.
Or 350, 200 million budget AAA games.

Just some perspective...

That is some really crazy perspective! What got me the most are 350 games with a 200.000.000 budget. My god, is this a lot of money. And a lot of games. Just crazy.

SKMBlake said:
V-r0cK said:Xbox console sales MS desperately needs. 

I don't think MS needs to sell consoles nowadays

Well if they continue to buy up big companies and put them on their Gamepass then yes they wont need to.

But as of right now MS needs to play both sides carefully (console and streaming) incase everyone doesn't play the way MS wants them to.  ie. If Rockstar chooses to stick to console then it'd be a good idea to ensure your console sales are still up.  

Around the Network

It will if you're a Gamepass user.

FattyDingDong said:

This is a very controversial topic. So I must clarify that this is just my opinion and you are welcome to disagree. As an Xbox owner I do not believe that these acquisitions have or will benefit Xbox owners at all. Let me explain why, Bethesda and Activision games would have still released on the Xbox regardless. The only difference is now it will (potentially) NOT release on the Sony platforms. And I understand the logic behind this from a business' perspective, it will definitely help Microsoft out. But my problem with the whole thing is, how will gamers benefit.  Sony is definitely guilty of this too, they secured Street Fighter and Final Fantasy remake for the Sony platforms. However, one must point out that they have organically created new IPs from their first party studios , games such as Last of Us, Uncharted, God of War, Spider Man, Ghost of Tsushima.   Microsoft has not done so since the Xbox 360 days.  My fear is that this policy of just acquiring existing IPs is going to be the norm for them, this will discourage any creativity or desire to start new IPs. 

I have tried to make this argument on Twitter and Reddit, but people have labeled me as a "salty" Sony fanboy. Even respected journalists are enthusiastic over these acquisitions.  I personally do not care for Sony or Microsoft, I just want new ideas and new games because that in the end is what's good for all gaming. 

And here I was thinking that Microsoft funded and published Sea of Thieves, Grounded, Ori, As Dusk Falls, Tell me Why, Ryse, Quantum Break, ReCore, and Sunset Overdrive; and it will soon publish Pentiment, Everwild, Contraband and Avowed. Silly me, seeing these investments the only logical conclusion is that Microsoft is not interested in new IPs.

And I can totally see your concerns about creativity, I mean, look at how similar Pentiment, As Dusk Falls, Gear Tactics and Sea of Thieves all look and play. They are certainly lacking that "3rd Person Action Adventure" flavor that is so synonym of creativity and innovation these days.

Oh, and I'm still trying to figure out how Spiderman is more of a "new IP" than Indiana Jones.

Considering not a single Activision/Blizzard game was EVER on Game Pass before and now EVERY single Activision/Blizzard game going forward will be on Game Pass day one (plus their full library) is a gigantic benefit for Xbox (and PC) owners.

Barozi said:

Considering not a single Activision/Blizzard game was EVER on Game Pass before and now EVERY single Activision/Blizzard game going forward will be on Game Pass day one (plus their full library) is a gigantic benefit for Xbox (and PC) owners.

Why weren't they on Game Pass prior is the question.

$70 billion is what it takes to get those kind of games on a service like Game Pass?

SKMBlake said:
ConservagameR said:

If Game Pass doesn't take off, then it's only going to be a big benefit to XB owners if those games are all made exclusive, otherwise what was the point?

That's a good point: what would happen if Game Pass never really take off ?

To put stuff in perspective, Disney+ launched in 2019 after Disney buying almost everything entertainment related stuff, to a very cheap price (6,99$ if I recall correctly, now 8,99$ but still cheaper than Netflix). ANd now 3 years later, it sits at 150+ million subscribers despite the launch price being raised by 2$ since.

In comparison, GP launched in 2017, 5 years later we still can find ways to pay it almost nothing (1$ deals, Microsoft Awards stuff, Gold conversion, etc), the subscritpion numbers barely reached 25 million users, below MS's expectations, and yet they still invest a huge amount of money to make it worth it (which it definitly is).

But I am wondering if, after 10 years, with lets say 2000+ games in the service, most of the new releases being available day one, and still having to cope with heavy discounts and figures below 30 million users, would MS decide to take the plug off ?

Hard to say. XB makes MS look less of an evil corporation, while also stopping Sony from potentially working their way into MS sector strongholds.

There's plenty of other things to take into account like some others have mentioned in here.

Another one is what about Sony, or anyone else for that matter, who tries to compete with Activision Blizzard franchises due to fear of exclusivity?

If anyone could come up with something that could consistently rival a COD, etc, even partially, that's going to be a significant blow to XB and their customers. Even worse if others, like Sony, get their hands on those competing franchises.

Or if Sony were to end up with a few hit live service games, especially if one was Fortnite big, and tried to make a deal with MS on Game Pass, where MS didn't benefit as much as usual, and MS refuses. Sony can then use that PR to smear XB and Game Pass, and if those Sony games were hot enough, it would look real bad on MS.

If MS did agree, they're then making much less on those Sony games, and many Game Pass players are likely going to be playing them instead of the $70 billion worth that MS purchased.