By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Opinion: Microsoft's acquisition of Bethesda and Activision do not benefit Xbox owners.

PC players will also benefit with Steam releases becoming the norm. MW2 is releasing on Steam this year and the acquisition may have indirectly caused this. 

Last edited by smroadkill15 - 5 days ago

Around the Network

Consolidation in the end will rarely be good for the player. It wouldn't surprise me if gamepass prices will go up. PlayStation will secure more exclusive software via moneyhatting and buying Devs and Microsoft will acquire more publishers.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

I think the gameplan is squarely on beefing up the gamepass offering. I honestly don't think exclusivity was even in the thought process. Unless MS can see a way to make Sony platforms obsolete, they should simply charge a premium for the games to remain on Sony platforms, provided that Sony has a significant player base.

With regards to MS inhouse development capability and IP growth - this move reduces the pressure on Xbox's internal studios to get things right in the short term. Long term though MS is going to definitely need to learn how to build new successful IP.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

FattyDingDong said:

This is a very controversial topic. So I must clarify that this is just my opinion and you are welcome to disagree. As an Xbox owner I do not believe that these acquisitions have or will benefit Xbox owners at all. Let me explain why, Bethesda and Activision games would have still released on the Xbox regardless. The only difference is now it will (potentially) NOT release on the Sony platforms. And I understand the logic behind this from a business' perspective, it will definitely help Microsoft out. But my problem with the whole thing is, how will gamers benefit.  Sony is definitely guilty of this too, they secured Street Fighter and Final Fantasy remake for the Sony platforms. However, one must point out that they have organically created new IPs from their first party studios , games such as Last of Us, Uncharted, God of War, Spider Man, Ghost of Tsushima.   Microsoft has not done so since the Xbox 360 days.  My fear is that this policy of just acquiring existing IPs is going to be the norm for them, this will discourage any creativity or desire to start new IPs. 

I have tried to make this argument on Twitter and Reddit, but people have labeled me as a "salty" Sony fanboy. Even respected journalists are enthusiastic over these acquisitions.  I personally do not care for Sony or Microsoft, I just want new ideas and new games because that in the end is what's good for all gaming. 

Wasn't there a rumor that Sony tried to make Starfield timed exclusive for PS5?

I mean. That's benefit for Xbox owners. If Microsoft bought Bethesda sooner Xbox players would have a chance to play Deathloop in 2021 and GhostWire in 2022, not a year later.

But it's clear that main focus of everything is Game Pass. Which is fine by me as a subscriber. 

But it is funny. Because what benefits are PlayStation gamers having from every Sony moneyhat? Did they earn something when Sony made sure that FFVII Remake or Street Fighter V will not come out on Xbox?

Bethesda sold because they weren't that hot financially. So you are risking them shutting down studios or cancelling projects. Which goes along your idea of "new ideas and new games." And Activision Blizzard acquisition is even more interesting because of devs at ActiBlizz studios. Because this deal will make sure that Kotick is gone. And it will make sure that all COD support studios will have a chance to make their own games. Which is a win, right?

DroidKnight said:

Had Sony purchased Bethesda, games would have become exclusive for Playstation gamers; therefore benefiting them in not losing the ability to play them. With Microsoft purchasing Bethesda it ensured Xbox gamers would not lose the ability to play them on an Xbox. That seems quite beneficial.

Thinking that if Sony had purchased Bethesda and would continue to release all titles on Xbox is not very realistic.

Similar was said about Bungie. Destiny and future games will be multiplatform though, under Sony. 

It helps Game Pass in the near future, but could help XB owners in the far future, if Game Pass truly takes off and becomes the main source for console gaming. Then you would likely see MS selling considerably more XB consoles than PS consoles, and most of them being the cheaper model, like the Series S now.

If Game Pass doesn't take off, then it's only going to be a big benefit to XB owners if those games are all made exclusive, otherwise what was the point?

Around the Network

I disagree

The reason is because with ms having these acquisition it will not just be for xbox, but also pc,m and pc gamepass, xbox gamepass and mobile via cloud. This targets a significant number of gamers that have the opportunities to play their ips which is a good thing

Plus being on gamepass, those who cant afford to buy physical copies at full price, will be able to afford gamepass. Eg. I am based in nz and 1 year of gamepass ultimate is 240 per year. Which is 2 and a bit of the game is 100 nzd per pop or 3 max if its 80 per game. With gamepass u play easily 10 games in few months which covers that.

Not only that, cause it targets a larger customer base, developers can take risk in making new ops that's different to what we are used because they know the large player base that can play their game. That benefits us as we have more games to play

I agree that spiderman is a new ip

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

JWeinCom said:

The point of acquisitions is to benefit your stockholders. Any benefit to your customers is incidental.

While this is strictly correct, I'd say that one of the primary reasons that an acquisition is beneficial to shareholders is because it is beneficial to customers. At the end of the day, every dollar that Microsoft brings in comes because a customer chose to buy from Microsoft. The better the value to a potential customer, the more likely they are to give you their dollars.  

In other words, I'd say that acquisitions, and the vast majority of business decisions, are made with both of these things in mind, because they aren't really competing ends. 

I don't expect a rabbit in the hat right now but in long term I do. Also, creativity is someway forgotten. Why? Because they are selling good (old stuff) with just better resolution.

The people who called you a salty fanboy are just that themselves.

Either way, these aquisitions guarantee that Sony can't moneyhat any of these games. That's at least something.