By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the XBSX beat the XB1 sales, and how many units it will sell?

How many units will the XBSX sell lifetime?

Under 40M 8 30.77%

40-45M 4 15.38%

45-50M 3 11.54%

50-55M 4 15.38%

55-60M 3 11.54%

60-70M 4 15.38%

70M+ 0 0%

Total:26

In the other poll a said it would be way under the x1 lifetime. Now I'm thinking it will be around the x1.

One MS is dead set on abandoning hardware it seems. Also the games they are making can be run on crappy PC hardware and PC gamepass has more games. so there's very little incentive to own the box.

second the Xbox is being helped by the disastrous state of the PC component prices. Next month we will have the new gpus announced and rumors are they will be pricey and for Nvidia massive power hogs. I do see a lot of PC gamers going back to consoles until things cool down.

Third the games output has never been worse for the brand. It doesn't make sense that a company with so much money and so many bought studios has had 2 out the 3 years this Gen is out with zero big games. They buy studios and they seem to go into decay immediately and join the other Xbox studios. Even if they buy Activision I don't see much improvement cuz it's not the number of studios is management that's the problem. But out of sheer numbers it has to be better than the x1 Gen.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network

85M.

smroadkill15 said:
SKMBlake said:

It did 50 million after being sold bundled with cereals and paper towels + having the game pass and the covid lockdown, I mean it spent most of its lifetime being the « meh, why not » console.

Now the Series X is sold for more, and have good arguments, but the PS5 isn’t failing to reach the general audience for now, so it doesn’t seem to be having the same sale logic as the Xbox 360

Many of the issues the Xbone had early on, the Series X|S avoided. There is no argument to be made when the system is clearly outperforming the Xbone and that's with shortages. Why it would sell about the same as the xbone makes zero sense. Series X software will also be much stronger once this gen is all said and done and keep the system much more relevant. The PS5 is very popular, but Xbox is keeping pacing. It's nowhere near as lop sided as last gen. 

Let’s see the games first before betting on how strong the library will be.

yo33331 said:
Kyuu said:

The real question is... what if the original Series S is no longer mandated in the middle of the generation? What if developers can choose to skip the console and only develop for higher grade Xbox consoles (Series X and whatever it is replacing the S). Wouldn't that destroy the concept of "generations" as we know it with respect to Microsoft/Xbox? Or would that be another GameBoy Color sort of situation where they will be counted as one system even though they're clearly not, because several late games will not be supported by the S in favor of the X and the S successor.

I mean the name "Series" itself is an implication that Microsoft might follow a "minimum requirement" model of sorts, making it a hybrid between traditional consoles and PC. Very high chance this is what they will do if Series S's small RAM proves problematic for the more ambitious future games.

This is one of the many reasons why Xbox is unpredictable to me. People have different ideas as to what constitutes a generation.

I agree.

And maybe in future there won't be new model that replace the Series S, but instead the Series X will replace the Series S as the low budget model and there will be new more powerful up to date model which comes into the Series X place.

They can release as many consoles as they want. But if they drop support to soon for any fans won't be happy. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
yo33331 said:

I agree.

And maybe in future there won't be new model that replace the Series S, but instead the Series X will replace the Series S as the low budget model and there will be new more powerful up to date model which comes into the Series X place.

They can release as many consoles as they want. But if they drop support to soon for any fans won't be happy. 

I don't think MS is the type of company which drops support and production of its product before the next one is out

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
eva01beserk said:

I don't think MS is the type of company which drops support and production of its product before the next one is out

My thought the same. I believe MS is stuck with the Series s and later in the generation Its gona hold back their games. 

It's hard to say because there's a lot of unanswered questions.

What happens if at some point MS just decides to yank most of their non-Minecraft IP catalog from the Playstation and make all of that XBox exclusive?

Call of Duty, Elder Scrolls, etc. etc. all exclusive probably tilts a fair number of players into MS' corner.

Also the long term impact of Game Pass is hard to predict, it may get to a point where it is such an insane value that one seriously can't ignore it when comparing XBox to a Playstation.

The other factor is I don't think Activision-Blizzard is the last big gaming purchase Microsoft makes. Imagine they get EA or Take 2 (gulp).

eva01beserk said:
SKMBlake said:

My thought the same. I believe MS is stuck with the Series s and later in the generation Its gona hold back their games. 

Even with a mid gen Series Pro Xtreme model, couldn't MS just drop Series S to 720p/60 worst case? The CPU should be able to keep up, so just drop the resolution and upscale.

Many who have a Series S will just live with it for the rest of the gen, and those who can't, can upgrade to a Series X.

I could see MS dropping Series S production mid gen if there's a $499-$599 Pro Xtreme model, along with a $299 Series X.

Depends on whether gamepass can give Xbox Series a similar boost as Kinect

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

ConservagameR said:
eva01beserk said:

Even with a mid gen Series Pro Xtreme model, couldn't MS just drop Series S to 720p/60 worst case? The CPU should be able to keep up, so just drop the resolution and upscale.

Many who have a Series S will just live with it for the rest of the gen, and those who can't, can upgrade to a Series X.

I could see MS dropping Series S production mid gen if there's a $499-$599 Pro Xtreme model, along with a $299 Series X.

If the gpu was the problem then sure. But the complain the devs are saying is the ram amount.

Games for the Series are being made to fit the ram of the Series s and then upscale to the Series X. I guess they can make 2 versions to take advantage of both but it will take time and money. And Xbox studios cannot afford to be any slower.