By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dear PlayStation Fans: Trickle-Down Economics Isn't Real!

Azzanation said:
Chrkeller said:

I've answered your multiple questions.  Please show the same respect and answer mine.  

What exactly is your question? That no console was in the Switches situation? 

I anwesred it by saying, lowering the price is different to raising the price. Just because its successful and on the market for years doesnt mean developers have to lower the price. Just like the PS4 era

You didnt answer my question when i asked which console raised its price for being super successful?

I asked how many consoles went 6 years with zero price cuts?  Simple question.  

The ps5 is the first that I know of to raise the price.  It is the first console I know of to be sold out for two years.  Economics.

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:

The ps5 is the first that I know of to raise the price.  It is the first console I know of to be sold out for two years.  Economics.

I would have no idea what consoles have gone for 6 years with zero cuts, Did the PS4 get a price cut? And does that matter to this conversation? As I mentioned before, lowering the price is different to raising the price.

Azzanation said:
Chrkeller said:

I would have no idea what consoles have gone for 6 years with zero cuts, Did the PS4 get a price cut? And does that matter to this conversation? As I mentioned before, lowering the price is different to raising the price.

The point is that the Switch is the first and only console to not get a price cut after 6 years.

Obviously the PS4 had price cuts. It launched at 400 and went down to 300 after a few years.

Kakadu18 said:
Azzanation said:

The point is that the Switch is the first and only console to not get a price cut after 6 years.

Obviously the PS4 had price cuts. It launched at 400 and went down to 300 after a few years.

Exactly.  My point is the market is different today then has been historically...  thus we are seeing unprecedented decisions.  

the-pi-guy said:

Other companies have risen prices.

Nintendo raises Wii price in UK due to depreciation of the pound

Microsoft India raises price on Xbox Series S|X and accessories again.

In the case of Xbox India, it happened just before Sony raised their prices.

It wasn't in that many regions though.

Around the Network
zero129 said:
Hynad said:

Azzanation says I do that. That’s not what I do. I suspect he is projecting and describing his own behaviour, just like with the downvoting thing.

You reported me only recently and called for me to be "Snapped" in a recent article and for what?. I honestly still dont even understand what i said that was so bad compared to what people like ClassicGamingWhizz can get away with. I mean is it his supporter status that protects him?, his clear Sony bias?. I dont know. What i do know is no MS or PC fan gets away with as much as he or other Sony fans do on this site. And if this post gets me another ban for speaking the truth then so be it...

People from all fanbases get away with a lot. You will see it worse in this manner because you dislike Sony’s fanbase (by your own  repeated admission) so you take offense when you see such comments from that fanbase but disregard the same kind of comments made towards the other companies and fanbases, or simply don’t notice them as being something bad because you agree with what’s being said.

zero129 said:
Hynad said:

People from all fanbases get away with a lot. You will see it worse in this manner because you dislike Sony’s fanbase (by your own  repeated admission) so you take offense when you see such comments from that fanbase but disregard the same kind of comments made towards the other companies and fanbases, or simply don’t notice them as being something bad because you agree with what’s being said.

Nope, i will call out any fanbase dont care who they are.

Nah. You don’t. But I’ll hold you to that. ?

Damn it, the pages are piling up too fast y'all D:

SvennoJ said:

I agree, personal attacks are not right. However I can't say I agree with pretty much anything you wrote up there about inflation, economics and the gaming market.

You can keep pushing the greed argument, but that has little to do with it. Forecasting, planning for the future, adjusting to fluctuations in exchange rates, production costs, wages, is what drives up prices. You can blame gamers for flocking to be best advertised, best bull shotted games. That's why graphics and marketing get priority, because it sells games. Simple as that. To stand out in the competition you need the best looking best advertised games.

And yes, more games get sold than ever before. However at an lower average price, since how else is game sales revenue not climbing at the same rate? All those extra games have their own costs. In the end costs, either due to marketing, better graphics, simply higher volume of available games/competition, keep going up, while revenues aren't keeping pace.

"a consumer may find gaming hard to enjoy when one now has to buy more hardware and/or more games to "truly enjoy it" that they simply don't have time for."
Err, so a consumer might find watching TV hard to enjoy because they can't possible watch everything to truly enjoy watching tv? That does not make sense at all. Gaming is cheaper than ever and there is so much choice nowadays it would be really hard not to be able to find something to truly enjoy.

The last month I truly enjoyed Factory Simulator on Roblox, didn't cost me a cent.

It even runs on my 15 year old Windows NT machine (I had 4 accounts going in co-op lol, can run 2 per windows device)

Very easy to truly enjoy gaming. Say bye to FOMO and just play what you enjoy playing.

Yes, actually, a consumer WOULD find it harder because anecdotal evidence exists. I've literally had friends complain (and I agree) that there are too many different streaming services to keep track of for all their different shows, and I agreed with them. You want a case-in-point? I have Hulu/Disney+, but I want to watch the Cyberpunk Edgerunners anime. So now I'm asking my friends whose Netflix login I can use just to watch the anime... Believe me, reasonable people are out there saying exactly that: it's annoying having to have all these streaming services and which ones to watch what shows on. And then of course, you have people who are more frivolous and just sign up for all of them... which, of course, I discourage because while they're busy watching XYZ show, they're probably not even using A and/or B streaming services.  Ya know, cuz the Asian in me gotta be all frugal and shit lmao

-----

I think I can address the rest in just a few paragraphs, or atleast attempt to...  I apologize to anyone who feels "ignored", well other than the people who obviously SHOULD be ignored...

Again, inflation affects the common worker THE HARDEST. The belief that PlayStation is raising prices because of inflation isn't because it wants to ensure its devs (ya know, the people who actually make the games) can live in these "tough times", it's so that the company itself can maintain PROFITS. Believe me: companies LOVE the philanthropic publicity if they can get it, and if PlayStation literally announced the correlation that they are raising game prices so that they can ensure their game devs are paid better wages to weather these hard economic times against inflation, I'd be applauding them for using their market share to enact an act of good. But you know, that means the higher ups who are already rich would have to take a hit... ... LOL AMIRITE?!

We know that's not the case, so saying, "it's just business, companies are only in it for profits DUH" is literally the most obvious and yet also oblivious thing to say. Unless higher prices are literally boosting your stock portfolio directly, saying that as a consumer is literally licking boots.

Now I've already taken my jabs at Xbox, but if you must know my current one, it's unable to sustain an entire video without turning specifically into a rant: Halo Infinite. How they fucked up one of my favorite franchises and one of THE most iconic franchises in gaming is awe-inspiring, and I've even tweeted it enough times, and the fact that my review of it still stands almost a year later is the reason I uninstalled it. Fortunately, one has to remember: Xbox is in THIRD place in market share, the reason their Xbox division has to remain favorable towards their market as much as possible. And of course, from other threads that some of you have definitely not read, I clearly stated my beef with Microsoft's near-monopoly on everyday office software like Word and Excel. Heck, in order to even really "get along" with other vendors/distributors/businesses, we have to use Office in some form or another. However, it's been very clear my video focuses on gaming, or I'd have started to bring up Sony's insurance division. YEA, INSURANCE, another interesting stack of bullshit... don't get me started on insurance...

But let's be clear once again for anyone who missed me saying it previously: good is good, bad is bad. I don't care who, I don't care what company or pile of plastic. If you're reading it beyond that like there's gotta be some narrative, that's just you spinning a web of meaning where there is none. The only narrative I've ever had is consumer awareness, it was the underlying concept of me doing reviews without any system preference. I literally have said MULTIPLE times over the years that I've always hoped my reviews were informational and could help someone make better buying decisions where they DON'T have to worry about an underlying skew, and that the humor was in the hopes that they also got a chuckle or two of entertainment while they were at it.

Anyway, I really can't tell if I need to make MORE time for VGChartz, or take a step back. I can't keep up with this pace, I could have sworn the forum was far more dead than this hahaha... If I can't keep up, I promise it's not because I want to pump-and-dump my videos, here!

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/

I don't think anyone is really happy about paying more, it's just that we understand why it is how it is. Games had been 60 dollars at launch for nearly 3 generations before the price increase. How many things do you know of that still cost the same now as they did in the early 2000s? The sad reality is that the dollar has been losing value for a long time. When you take this into account, we're honestly lucky we didn't see a price hike sooner.

ZyroXZ2 said:

Damn it, the pages are piling up too fast y'all D:

Yes, actually, a consumer WOULD find it harder because anecdotal evidence exists. I've literally had friends complain (and I agree) that there are too many different streaming services to keep track of for all their different shows, and I agreed with them. You want a case-in-point? I have Hulu/Disney+, but I want to watch the Cyberpunk Edgerunners anime. So now I'm asking my friends whose Netflix login I can use just to watch the anime... Believe me, reasonable people are out there saying exactly that: it's annoying having to have all these streaming services and which ones to watch what shows on. And then of course, you have people who are more frivolous and just sign up for all of them... which, of course, I discourage because while they're busy watching XYZ show, they're probably not even using A and/or B streaming services.  Ya know, cuz the Asian in me gotta be all frugal and shit lmao

-----

I think I can address the rest in just a few paragraphs, or atleast attempt to...  I apologize to anyone who feels "ignored", well other than the people who obviously SHOULD be ignored...

Again, inflation affects the common worker THE HARDEST. The belief that PlayStation is raising prices because of inflation isn't because it wants to ensure its devs (ya know, the people who actually make the games) can live in these "tough times", it's so that the company itself can maintain PROFITS. Believe me: companies LOVE the philanthropic publicity if they can get it, and if PlayStation literally announced the correlation that they are raising game prices so that they can ensure their game devs are paid better wages to weather these hard economic times against inflation, I'd be applauding them for using their market share to enact an act of good. But you know, that means the higher ups who are already rich would have to take a hit... ... LOL AMIRITE?!

We know that's not the case, so saying, "it's just business, companies are only in it for profits DUH" is literally the most obvious and yet also oblivious thing to say. Unless higher prices are literally boosting your stock portfolio directly, saying that as a consumer is literally licking boots.

Now I've already taken my jabs at Xbox, but if you must know my current one, it's unable to sustain an entire video without turning specifically into a rant: Halo Infinite. How they fucked up one of my favorite franchises and one of THE most iconic franchises in gaming is awe-inspiring, and I've even tweeted it enough times, and the fact that my review of it still stands almost a year later is the reason I uninstalled it. Fortunately, one has to remember: Xbox is in THIRD place in market share, the reason their Xbox division has to remain favorable towards their market as much as possible. And of course, from other threads that some of you have definitely not read, I clearly stated my beef with Microsoft's near-monopoly on everyday office software like Word and Excel. Heck, in order to even really "get along" with other vendors/distributors/businesses, we have to use Office in some form or another. However, it's been very clear my video focuses on gaming, or I'd have started to bring up Sony's insurance division. YEA, INSURANCE, another interesting stack of bullshit... don't get me started on insurance...

But let's be clear once again for anyone who missed me saying it previously: good is good, bad is bad. I don't care who, I don't care what company or pile of plastic. If you're reading it beyond that like there's gotta be some narrative, that's just you spinning a web of meaning where there is none. The only narrative I've ever had is consumer awareness, it was the underlying concept of me doing reviews without any system preference. I literally have said MULTIPLE times over the years that I've always hoped my reviews were informational and could help someone make better buying decisions where they DON'T have to worry about an underlying skew, and that the humor was in the hopes that they also got a chuckle or two of entertainment while they were at it.

Anyway, I really can't tell if I need to make MORE time for VGChartz, or take a step back. I can't keep up with this pace, I could have sworn the forum was far more dead than this hahaha... If I can't keep up, I promise it's not because I want to pump-and-dump my videos, here!

This thread got very active due to, console wars are back lol.

I agree about the streaming services, I have the same problem. Currently borrowing a prime video login so we can watch LotR (I would rather buy it on blu-ray but Amazon wants you to use Prime Video, their loss)

Yet we got in this mess because people weren't happy with paying a lump sum for cable. Cut the cord, start streaming. And this is where it leads to. To be able to watch all the things I previously could watch on cable, I would now be spending a lot more money monthly... Hence my huge reservation about game rental/streaming services becoming the norm.

So, yes, in that regards I agree that it has become harder to enjoy TV and will become harder to enjoy gaming due to all the subscriptions to juggle. It was already harder with all the different digital stores on PC, I can't keep track of where I have what where anymore. Hence I still prefer physical, I know where it is, easy to browse, all in one place. Yet to simply enjoy a game, it's easier than ever.

The reason the prices were raised is mainly because of the yen depreciating a lot in the past year, as well as other currencies against the dollar. If you calculate it through the prices have basically been put back in line with the US price. Nothing new, same happened with the PS4 in Canada, $50 price hike a year after release. (While games went from $60 to $80 here during last gen) They are raising the prices to ensure their revenues stay the same. It's not that they want more, they want the same return for the same items, so they can keep going forward at the same pace.