By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 35, 2022 (Aug 22 - Aug 28)

WoodenPints said:
Slownenberg said:

Woah crazy weekly numbers.

Tons of Sony releases making the top 10 look very different from normal. Though in a couple weeks it should be back to NSW sweeps or near sweeps.
Xbox and Switch HW sales are crazy.

Why such a big boost for Switch?? Just refilling stock perhaps? No games came out.

Xbox HW is ridiculous this week. It would be a very solid week for PS5. Xbox Series just continues to get more popular as time passes. I wonder if in a year or two its weekly numbers might be at like 20k-30k on the regular, competing evenly with PS5.

Splatoon 3 OLED launched.

Oh just like with Splatoon artwork? Ha that's funny how that can boost sales so much.

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:

Oh just like with Splatoon artwork? Ha that's funny how that can boost sales so much.

Japan's love affair with the Switch continues to burn brightly.
Very interested to see how hardware fares on the week of Splatoon 3 itself.
In its 6th year, will almost everyone interested already own one, or will there be a big boost above baseline?

curl-6 said:

In its 6th year, will almost everyone interested already own one, or will there be a big boost above baseline?

We already saw a boost last week due to the Splatoon 3 themed Switch.

I'm not expecting 400k or something, but I suppose it's going to be a nice boost.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
curl-6 said:

I'm not expecting 400k or something, but I suppose it's going to be a nice boost.

The boost from a new hardware edition is a bit different from the boost gained from a sequel to a game already on the same hardware though; I have no doubt Splatoon 3 will cause a bump, but I'm unsure whether it will exceed the special edition OLED bump as the Switch has been out for a long time now and the vast majority of folks with interest in Splatoon 3 may already own the hardware.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

The boost from a new hardware edition is a bit different from the boost gained from a sequel to a game already on the same hardware though; I have no doubt Splatoon 3 will cause a bump, but I'm unsure whether it will exceed the special edition OLED bump as the Switch has been out for a long time now and the vast majority of folks with interest in Splatoon 3 may already own the hardware.

I suppose many people who will buy Splatoon 3 are people upgrading from Splatoon 2, but I'm still optimistic.

If in this last week Switch hardware didn't drop below 80k I think in Splatoon 3's launch week it'll be over 120k.
The Splatoon 3 OLED isn't a limited special edition and will keep getting sold. It could keep a high baseline for a few weeks, since it's probably selling out quickly.

curl-6 said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Splat oled edition is the sku of this year, splat3 is going to be the upgrade title. OG is at 18mil+, lite at 5mil and oled, the only upgrade sku is at 2mil+. There is a ton of room to grow. Look at 3ds and its sku and you'll see its night and day. Nsw probably has well over 15mil unique customers with 3ds I doubt has over 10mil

tbone51 said:
curl-6 said:

Splat oled edition is the sku of this year, splat3 is going to be the upgrade title. OG is at 18mil+, lite at 5mil and oled, the only upgrade sku is at 2mil+. There is a ton of room to grow. Look at 3ds and its sku and you'll see its night and day. Nsw probably has well over 15mil unique customers with 3ds I doubt has over 10mil

There's definitely room for more base and Lite owners to upgrade to an OLED, but I'm not sure Splatoon 3 is the kind of game to compel people to upgrade rather than just enjoy it on the system they already own.

I'm sure hardware will get a bump the week of Splatoon 3's release, but to the same extent as special edition hardware of the most desirable model? Not so sure. Thankfully we only need to wait 10 days to find out.

curl-6 said:
tbone51 said:

There's definitely room for more base and Lite owners to upgrade to an OLED, but I'm not sure Splatoon 3 is the kind of game to compel people to upgrade rather than just enjoy it on the system they already own.

I'm sure hardware will get a bump the week of Splatoon 3's release, but to the same extent as special edition hardware of the most desirable model? Not so sure. Thankfully we only need to wait 10 days to find out.

You vastly underestimate nsw userbase, I'll put 3ds comparison here for discussion sake...

25mil 3ds total!

3DS 10000k

3DSLL: 7000k

N3DS/N3DSLL: 6000k

2DS: 575k

2DSLL: 1200k

Each model is an upgrade, from 3ds>LL>N3ds/LL. The unique users from this is significantly lower than that of NSW. In case of lite, many upgraded fro, lite to OG.

With Oled, there is much bigger potential especially giving that nsw userbase could be over 15mil unique users and that leaves open OLED and other ,models (if new introduce) can sell a total of 10mil. Oh yeah and this is coming off of nsw/lite still selling 30k roughly a week. There is so much ,more room to growth its actually amazing