By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo IPs You’d Still Like to See on Switch (Poll Added)

Which unused IP would you like to see on Switch

F-Zero 20 25.00%

Star Fox 8 10.00%

Mario RPG 6 7.50%

Mario and Luigi 7 8.75%

Diddy Kong Racing 6 7.50%

Pikmin 7 8.75%

Wave Race 7 8.75%

Golden Sun 12 15.00%

Chibi Robo 4 5.00%

Excite Truck/Bots/Bike 3 3.75%

Total:80
snyps said:
mZuzek said:

A lot of people do and it's on the way, or it should be at least.

I see. People think it’s coming to switch. 

MP4 has been known to be coming to the Switch for years. So there is no reason to put it on a list of games people hope Nintendo will announce for Switch. We already know it exists and is coming (just very delayed!)

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:

Aaaah ... The pipe dream from those mentioning Super Mario RPG 2 while the original Paper Mario was clearly it makes me giggle.

Anywoooo ...

Lol at thinking that Paper Mario is anything like Super Mario RPG. No one who has ever played SMRPG and Paper Mario games would say Paper Mario is a sequel to SMRPG :p

Super Mario RPG had one entry and then Square left and so Nintendo made an entirely different (and not nearly as good) RPG series called Paper Mario. Lots of people still hope one day for a Super Mario RPG sequel. I am one of those people, though I don't think it will ever actually happen! 

super_etecoon said:
Slownenberg said:

I got NSMBUD and felt it was very mediocre. It was a ton of fun the one time I played it with a friend, but I feel like they've now geared the New series toward multiplayer rather than single player because it was just entirely mediocre playing the game by myself. In fact at one point while I was playing it I loaded up the original SMB on the Switch Online and was like holy hell this game feels so much better than NSMBUD. Definitely didn't feel anywhere near worth the $60 I spent on it. It is the game I have been most disappointed in on Switch compared to expectations as well as money spent. I didn't play the Luigi version though, maybe that is a little better(?), because I had very little interest in playing the game anymore once I beat the Mario version.

Honestly, if they just come out with another game in the New series I would have no interest in it. It'd still sell a lot I'm sure, but I'm counting on a 2D Mario coming out before Switch is done that is an entirely new series (new art style, new controls, new theme, etc). The New series has been on DS, Wii, 3DS, Wii U, and ported to the Switch....they've done that series to death and 2D Mario desperately needs a change. The only time they've ever even done the same style Mario twice in a row was SMB and then the Lost Levels (which of course only came out in Japan), and Galaxy 1 & 2. After 4 different games including two versions of one of them plus a port, spread across 5 systems and 3 generations, that series of 2D Mario feels so tired and stale. I just hope they have a completely new style of 2D Mario game well into development at this point, as it could be the blockbuster game for say holiday '23.

Agreed.  And I think you represent the majority of hardcore Mario fans. The fact is, though, that the casuals are just fine with the way it is and will buy it. So will many of us core and hardcore gamers. In that way we’re kind of our worst enemy for change. But, and you point this out, Nintendo likes to subvert themselves with each sequel, usually. I just hope they’re up to the challenge. Would sure be great to get a 2D Mario that wows us in unexpected ways. That’s certainly been a while. 

Yeah I get that the focus on multiplayer rather than a superb single player experience expands the audience to more casual players so like lots of families pick it up. I'm fine with it continuing to have a multiplayer option, as that part is really fun, but Nintendo has got to realize the "New" theme is stale and they need to mix it up for the next game. It just needs to be fresh compared to the same 2D Mario they've been putting out the past 15 years, which they used to do for every single 2D Mario release.

Anyway, I sure hope they have some sort of fresh take on 2D Mario coming out like next year because it'd be insane for them to not make one of their biggest series on their most popular system ever. NSMBUD was released as a post-holiday afterthought port with little fanfare and it is gonna be a 15+ million seller, so an actual new 2D Mario, especially a fresh game that doesn't feel the same as the last five 2D releases, would sell like crazy.

Side thought: For a few years now I've been wishing Nintendo had like an experimental group of teams making perhaps smaller but experimental versions of their franchises. Like a 2D Mario that is a hardcore platformer for instance. Even just opening up these types of experimental games to indie developers so that indies could bring their unique ideas to popular Nintendo franchises while Nintendo could obviously oversee the design and then market it as its own brand of Nintendo experimental games. That's my dream. Then we could get a really unique and hardcore Mario experience, and I'd love to see this done with Zelda as well. Also this could be how we could get series that Nintendo is less willing to make or have declined over the generations like Fzero, Starfox, Super Mario RPG, Wave Race, etc. Anyway, that'll never happen haha. Unless I can become a Nintendo exec :p

super_etecoon said:
snyps said:

Sorry I didn’t clarify in the OP. I’m assuming MP4 is still coming to Switch. It may launch simultaneously on future hardware, but I believe it will release on the system it was announced for. That’s why it’s not here. Besides, it would have pulled too many votes away from other games. Trust me, you’re definitely not the only user here waiting impatiently for the game to release. All in good time. 

I hope you are right. Love your avatar btw

Slownenberg said:
snyps said:

MP4 has been known to be coming to the Switch for years. So there is no reason to put it on a list of games people hope Nintendo will announce for Switch. We already know it exists and is coming (just very delayed!)

There was no reason to think the sequel to Super Metroid would be canceled. They promised it and I waited.. and waited.. and waited.. and it never came. 5 full years, no gameplay footage; I’m checking it off as vaporware. 

Around the Network

F-Zero and Star Fox.

Mostly Donkey Kong though, which isn't on the poll for some reason. Pikmin is, though, even though both franchises have Wii U ports on Switch and nothing else...

snyps said:
Slownenberg said:

There was no reason to think the sequel to Super Metroid would be canceled. They promised it and I waited.. and waited.. and waited.. and it never came. 5 full years, no gameplay footage; I’m checking it off as vaporware. 

The sequel to Super Metroid is called Metroid Fusion and released in 2002 for the GBA. The sequel to Metroid Fusion is Metroid Dread.

Metroid Prime 4 is the sequel to Metroid Prime 3: Corruption released on the Wii in 2007.

Metroid Prime 4 development was restarted in January 2019 and moved from Bandai Namco to Retro Studios. 3.5 years is not to long and it's most certainly not vaporware.

https://youtu.be/zLIv_UXI_So

mZuzek said:
snyps said:

I don't know what you're going on about. Super Metroid has a sequel, and its sequel has a sequel too.

Edit: also about Prime 4, they restarted development 3 and a half years ago. It's still a pretty long time, but understandable that they haven't shown it yet.

Kakadu18 said:
snyps said:

The sequel to Super Metroid is called Metroid Fusion and released in 2002 for the GBA. The sequel to Metroid Fusion is Metroid Dread.

Metroid Prime 4 is the sequel to Metroid Prime 3: Corruption released on the Wii in 2007.

Metroid Prime 4 development was restarted in January 2019 and moved from Bandai Namco to Retro Studios. 3.5 years is not to long and it's most certainly not vaporware.

I’m quite aware of the multiple updates on Metroid prime 4. I worked at Nintendo of America when it was first announced. I remember having an evaluation with a superior and she remarked at how excited she was about it. I was silent because I knew it meant little.

When GameCube came out, they at least showed a demo of what it Might look like. To me that’s something. 

When N64 came out, we were told in magazines that the sequel to Super Metroid was “in development”.Sure we got the game, eventually… a console later. But holding your breath that long does damage. 

”In development” is where we are standing with MP4. I’m willing to make a bet that it doesn’t come to switch at all.  

edit:

3.5 years is definitely too long to not have an ETA or footage. Why am I the only one who feels this way?

Last edited by snyps - on 26 August 2022

snyps said:
mZuzek said:

I don't know what you're going on about. Super Metroid has a sequel, and its sequel has a sequel too.

Edit: also about Prime 4, they restarted development 3 and a half years ago. It's still a pretty long time, but understandable that they haven't shown it yet.

Kakadu18 said:

I’m quite aware of the multiple updates on Metroid prime 4. I worked at Nintendo of America when it was first announced. I remember having an evaluation with a superior and she remarked at how excited she was about it. I was silent because I knew it meant little.

When GameCube came out, they at least showed a demo of what it Might look like. To me that’s something. 

When N64 came out, we were told in magazines that the sequel to Super Metroid was “in development”.Sure we got the game, eventually… a console later. But holding your breath that long does damage. 

”In development” is where we are standing with MP4. I’m willing to make a bet that it doesn’t come to switch at all.  

So what do you expect how long it's development will take?

You do realize it's not just in the concept stage or something like that. Bayonetta 3 and Shin Megami Tensei V were also revealed in 2017 and released because development hadn't restarted.

Kakadu18 said:
snyps said:

Kakadu18 said:

So what do you expect how long it's development will take?

You do realize it's not just in the concept stage or something like that. Bayonetta 3 and Shin Megami Tensei V were also revealed in 2017 and released because development hadn't restarted.

I expect the development of Metroid Prime 4 to take less than 4 years. Nintendo doesn’t make a lot of money on the Metroid franchise. They aren’t going to spend more money developing Metroid than they’d spend on their more popular IPs. 5 years is longer than it takes to develop their Mario and Zelda titles, right?

I do see your point about bayonetta 3.