By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Best Seller as PS5 Outsells Xbox Series X|S - Global Hardware Aug 7-13

PS5 is starting to do better than the PS4 for the same time but the big story is how Series has really been turning things around compared to XBO for the same time.

Around the Network

The gap will blow pass 6M before the holiday starts and GOWR even drops, nice.

trunkswd said:
yo33331 said:

It seemed the same thing last gen, when in year 5 or 6 there was a lead of 25M for the 8th gen and then quickly that lead was gone becoming a deficit even.

That is true. I just feel like with the shortages and game delays that this generation will last 1 or 2 years longer. 

I think if either party has their next console ready for release they will release it.  If Xbox or Playstation gets it in their head to make the generation last longer, the other one will kick them in the nuts and take off running with the head start.  I don't see them cooperating with each other to hold back on their release schedules.  

And if the next consoles are also backwards compatible, then I don't see a jump into new hardware being that big of an issue.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

The stock situation has been good for the past several weeks. I think that is the main reason for the high sales. The fact that they have kept up stock for several weeks now means that the shortages may end in the near future, especially in North America.

If there's enough stock for the last few weeks of the year I think the PS5 has a chance to completely erase the deficit compared to 2021 and overall be slightly up YoY for the whole year.

Around the Network

For PS5 to sell 3 million for FYQ2 (July to Sept) it needs to average 230k per week, so far it is averaging 222K after 7 weeks (1.55m). It could get really close and this would be a decent improvement over the two previous quarters which were 2.0m and 2.4m.

Last edited by ShadowLink93 - on 22 August 2022

DroidKnight said:
trunkswd said:

That is true. I just feel like with the shortages and game delays that this generation will last 1 or 2 years longer. 

I think if either party has their next console ready for release they will release it.  If Xbox or Playstation gets it in their head to make the generation last longer, the other one will kick them in the nuts and take off running with the head start.  I don't see them cooperating with each other to hold back on their release schedules.  

And if the next consoles are also backwards compatible, then I don't see a jump into new hardware being that big of an issue.

I disagree. This Gen the problem is the diminishing return that power of a new generation can offer. After 4k 60fps it's gona be hard to wow people so much that they would jump over to a competitor just cuz they launched early.

Might be a detriment  since then the competitor  will be more powerful next year and the little Gen over Gen difference could be slightly more notable. 

Let's also not mention what happened this Gen with all the crossed Gen games. I believe gamers would wait for 10th gen.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

trunkswd said:
Norion said:

If there's enough stock for the last few weeks of the year I think the PS5 has a chance to completely erase the deficit compared to 2021 and overall be slightly up YoY for the whole year.

PS5 needs to make up about 1.3 million units to catch up to 2021's sales. 

Looking at how the PS5 was selling last year the deficit probably won't change much by the end of October so it'll all come down to how much it'll be up on weeks like the black friday one.

The battle for America is heating up, with all three systems within 10k of each other this week.

ChiVVITZ said:

The gap will blow pass 6M before the holiday starts and GOWR even drops, nice.

If Sony achieves their 18M projection for the PS5 by the end of FY22, the gap will be close to, if not exceeding, 10M units.