By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has Nintendo been a bit "stale" lately?

Has Nintendo been "boring" lately?

Yes, definitely. 20 28.99%

Yeah, maybe a little. 14 20.29%

I dunno. 4 5.80%

Naw, probably not. 10 14.49%

No, definitely not. 21 30.43%

Total:69

I've been feeling this way for most of the year now, and can't really shake the feeling. I'm not trying to get anyone riled up or anything, nor do I want to get hate for this. The only game I enjoyed from them this year was Kirby. I will admit that, on an objective level, Nintendo's second half of 2022 is fairly strong. Xenoblade 3 to start things off, then Splatoon 3, Bayonetta 3, and Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope. Can't ignore Pokemon either. You'd think that i'd be excited, but in all honestly, none of the games listed have piqued my interest. You're probably thinking I should broaden my horizons a bit. Well... I know for a fact I can't get into JRPG's no matter how hard I try. Played Bayonetta 1, and the gameplay didn't really click with me. I own the first Splatoon and enjoyed it. However, it was also the first (and only) Nintendo game I have ever regretted buying on day one. Not enough content, and the second and third games in the series just don't look that much *more* than the first. Mario + Rabbids may be the only game that I can see myself enjoying, since the first one was good.

It's not really just the games, either. The lack of a main Direct this summer has definitely contributed to this feeling. We know BotW 2 is coming out first half of next year, and Metroid Prime 4 somewhere down the line. Unfortunately, we haven't heard much regarding these games. Just... radio silence. Switch hardware is also started to show its age, so I think some kind of revision, or even a true next-gen leap, would be great now. But nope. Nothing from them. Just the same old, same old. I dunno, maybe all I need is the announcement of one hype game, or the true reveal of BotW 2 or MP4 to feel excited again. For now, i'm kind of indifferent to whatever Nintendo's doing. I'm thinking maybe i'll pick up Nier Automata on Switch when it comes out. Looks like a competent port. Mario Rabbids is still TBD.

Just needed to vent a bit, since (in MY opinion) Nintendo's been a bit "boring" as of late. There's just not much there for me, personally. Many of their first-party games coming out are quite niche, too. So I can't be the only one who feels like this? Right?? Maybe I am lol.

Around the Network

I think everyone has years where they don’t really enjoy a lot of games from a certain company. Sometimes a company has an off year or one that just isn’t as heavy hitting. I wouldn’t say that means they’re getting stale though.

Games not being for you also doesn’t contribute to a company being stale, just means those aren’t for you which makes this year an off year for you. There’s also nothing wrong with only enjoying a small amount of releases every year. Sometimes that’s just how it is.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

“Lately”

I’ll be charitable and say this: Nintendo’s greatest strength and greatest weakness is it’s multi-decade level of consistency. You either love that or you don’t buy Nintendo products anymore.

I know countless people that have had their “Nintendo phase” who then get tired and move on at some point. It’s like a gaming rite of passage.

Xenoblade 3 felt fresh for the series. Hyped for Bayonetta 3 in October. Everything else in between has been filled in with PS4/5. No big deal. Some years are leaner than others. 2017 full. 2018 lean. 2019 full. 2020. Lean. 2021 full. 2022 mostly lean but not entirely as I got a lot of good 3rd party stuff. Why multiple consoles is best. Not much of an issue.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Kirby and the Forgotten Land and Pokémon Legends: Arceus. Both games that are an evolution for their series and released this year. The very opposite of "stale".

"Stale" and "boring" is not the same btw.

As for your last paragraph: WTF!?!
Niche?! What the hell do you consider niche???
Are Kirby and Switch Sports niche? Is Xenoblade niche because it doesn't sell 5mil copies? Do you even know how much their games sell or do you consider everything that doesn't cater to "hardcore" gamers as niche?
The only game from this year where you can argue that is Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes, and even that one could end up selling over 2mil copies.
What do you consider niche?

Around the Network

Looks like the general public is cranky for their Nintendo Direct. Luckily it should be just around the corner. Seriously though, I understand not liking a lot of Nintendo's 2022 offerings. However these games like you mentioned are big sellers. Games like Splatoon 3 will be a huge seller. Mario + Rabbids will be a huge seller. Kirby and the Forgotten Land was a huge seller. Pokémon Arceus was a huge seller. Switch Sports was huge. Bayo 3 is niche but it's probably a 2+ Million seller. Same for Xenoblade 3.

Nintendo is expecting huge software sales for the Fiscal Year so people are buying software. It's just that yeah the classic Nintendo franchises haven't been well represented in some time. No new 3D Mario, no new 3D Zelda or Top Down Zelda, no Donkey Kong, no Pikmin, no Star Fox, still haven't seen Metroid Prime 4, no new Mario Kart, and even their dormant franchises that could make huge comebacks are still dormant. They have Kid Icarus, Mother, Rhythm Heaven, Wario Land, Golden Sun, Punch Out, Mario & Luigi, and others that really should see new releases. Advance Wars should have released earlier this year but for understandable reasons it was pushed but seriously, Call of Duty is releasing during a war. I think a chibi toy strategy RPG should be fine to release. 

I know we always say "It'll be better next year" but I think 2023 will seriously be a great year for Nintendo. Simply because we already know very little about their 2023 and some of their studios development cycles should have recovered and ended by now. They were probably the development studio hit the hardest during the pandemic due to their incapacity to handle such an event properly. But I think things will look better next year. Especially since BOTW 2 should be a lock. But yeah it definitely depends on what types of games you're into. I've seen your sentiments echoed on social media and if you don't like JRPGs then 2022 so far is a bit of a miss. Personally I've loved their 2022 but I also love JRPGs.

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 21 August 2022

Kakadu18 said:

Kirby and the Forgotten Land and Pokémon Legends: Arceus. Both games that are an evolution for their series and released this year. The very opposite of "stale".

Are Kirby and Switch Sports niche? Is Xenoblade niche because it doesn't sell 5mil copies? Do you even know how much their games sell or do you consider everything that doesn't cater to "hardcore" gamers as niche?
The only game from this year where you can argue that is Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes, and even that one could end up selling over 2mil copies.

I mean, I did say I played Kirby earlier this year, and really enjoyed it. I agree, it's a great evolution for the series and a step in the right direction. Pokemon doesn't interest me unfortunately. Didn't mean to start anything with the last paragraph. I simply meant those franchises don't garner as much interest as the bigger titles like Mario and Zelda. Even Splatoon is bigger. Hell, i'm a Metroid fan and would still consider Metroid a niche series. It simply doesn't gain the traction that other bigger franchises do. I'd say Kirby is beginning to crawl out of that space, and i'm sure Xenoblade will follow. For now, though, yeah I kinda consider that a bit niche at the moment.

And honestly, I forgot Switch Sports was even a thing :/

I'm disappointed with Splatoon 3, which was the only Nintendo game I was really expecting this year as Zelda was delayed

So I'd say yes, a little

Currently I'm playing more third parties than Nintendo

Ultravolt said:
Kakadu18 said:

I mean, I did say I played Kirby earlier this year, and really enjoyed it. I agree, it's a great evolution for the series and a step in the right direction. Pokemon doesn't interest me unfortunately. Didn't mean to start anything with the last paragraph. I simply meant those franchises don't garner as much interest as the bigger titles like Mario and Zelda. Even Splatoon is bigger. Hell, i'm a Metroid fan and would still consider Metroid a niche series. It simply doesn't gain the traction that other bigger franchises do. I'd say Kirby is beginning to crawl out of that space, and i'm sure Xenoblade will follow. For now, though, yeah I kinda consider that a bit niche at the moment.

And honestly, I forgot Switch Sports was even a thing :/

Almost nothing garners as much interest as Mario and BotW. If you want to take Zelda as a whole, Kirby aTFL has outsold almost all Zelda games already, Mario Strikers will do so too and Switch Sports will sell significantly more than Splatoon. If that is what niche means to you then anything that sells below 10mil copies is niche. Your choice of words was highly questionable.

No company can only release 20-30mil+ sellers. From no company everything will be of interest to you. And not everything that isn't literally the biggest thing is niche, aka barely relevant if at all.

Sounds like a you problem tbh. Im very much looking forward to most of the games you mentioned.