By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Change title Only Western Developers are willing to Sell to either big 3, While Majority of Japanese don't care to sell to big 3

Microsoft is buying a bunch of studios to compensate for having fewer exclusive developers and for only churning out the same franchises yearly. Nintendo and Sony already have that, so they don't need to "fight back". Also, I think buying out platform-independent devs/publishers is bad, so I wouldn't want the other big platform holders to start doing that too.

B O I

Around the Network

Nintendo will be just fine without acquisitions. They are on their way to have the best selling system of all time and is being sold a lot more than it's 2 competitors.

SKMBlake said:

Just remember Microsoft bought Nokia

It didn't. Only it's mobile phones business. 

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Well, I'm not quite happy with acquisitions, no matter who's doing it. We've had a number of kick-ass game studios that have been driven into mud after a larger company/publisher bought them. It's a whole different matter if the purchased company is going belly-up, unless someone funds it or purchases it. In that case, I'm all in for purchases.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Shatts said:

If rolling out subpar hardware gives u money, Microsoft and Sony would be doing it would they not? Or is Sony and Microsoft not profit driven. 

Microsoft isn't 

If they were, they would have exited console market already 

There is some truth in what this guy is saying. Surely Nintendo hardware design is not focused on building mini PCs, but offering something else (motion controls, portabiltiy, etc) but this not prevents them to make a stronger hardware. Sony have released Vita when Nintendo was releasing 3DS, and Steam Deck was released against Switch

Nintendo could still doing their hardware philosophy without compromising any feature due to battery life or screen quality, but they won't do this because it would be cost-proibitive for them, they would need to sell at loss for years (perhaps most of the generation)

Now let's digress this discussion a bit:

Increasing hardware power is correlated with spending more to make software as there is a learning curve of how to design games for new hardware, plus more money to hire animators and artists to create models. Nintendo has a very small team compared to other big publishers and yet very dependent on their in house games, meaning software is their priority and main concern when launching a new console 

That's why I'm so curious to see how their they will handle 4K gaming development. Those kind of games generally take more time to develop and polish,  I see posts about Nintendo spanding organilly but Im always thinking "This is not enough". Their team sizes need to increase drastically if they want to increase the escape of their games as well as making better use of hardware capabilities to keep up with AAA development.

I'm inclined to believe that even with a more powerful console next gen Nintendo games will be basically Switch games in early PS4 levels of graphics, not a pronounced leap in expects, or in mechanics, or in world dimensions. Then I will be curious to see how market will respond. Will everyone be alright playing 2010-looking games in 2030? Or will the reception be more lukewarm? We shall see!

Around the Network
twintail said:
Kakadu18 said:

Nintendo doesn't acquire big companies just like that. They've said so already. They're growing organically by just growing their headcount and opening more studios. That's why they're getting a new building.

Konami is making most of it's profits from the Switch right now. I don't see why they would sell to Sony.
Capcom is not going to sell, no matter how much anyone wishes them to do so.
They are, just like Konami and Koei Tecmo, more successful right now then they've ever been before.
Koei Tecmo is privately owned afaik. Hard to see them wanting to sell.

Konami is making most of its profits from mobile, especially highlighting the mobile releases of eFootball, Professional Baseball Ace and YGO Master Duel as their main drivers of revenue. 

Switch might be better than PS5 for them, but considering their reliance on mobile, specific console sales are not overly important right now. 

Have two major "franchises" on consoles. Momotaro with 3.5 million+ and Baseball sells almost 1 million every year. Asia is growing with baseball. 

https://www.gonintendo.com/contents/4633-ebaseball-powerful-pro-baseball-2022-shipments-and-digital-sales-pass-500-000-units

Sony has already been on an acquisition spree with studios. They're not nearly as big as Bethesda or Activision, but they're still putting up the cash. Nintendo is expanding their 1st Party inhouse. Sure they bought Next Level Games, but that was more like a force buy since they were up for sale and didn't want to lose a valuable company they worked with for years.

twintail said:
Agente42 said:

Have two major "franchises" on consoles. Momotaro with 3.5 million+ and Baseball sells almost 1 million every year. Asia is growing with baseball. 

https://www.gonintendo.com/contents/4633-ebaseball-powerful-pro-baseball-2022-shipments-and-digital-sales-pass-500-000-units

i mean, these are great sales sure. But eclipsed quite handily by the 20 million users of YGO Duel Links.

The fact that eFootball and Baseball Ace are drivers they expect to expand in 2023 is even more evidence to the important of mobile for Konami. 

Konami doesn't need the Switch to be successful and still make money. It helps though, naturally. 

4 million sales normally are better than 20 million of download when the game in question has low maintenance. 

First, it´s a low-maintenance game. Smartphone games usually have high maintenance and updated. And a localized game only Japan, low distribution costs.

And the game has a low price drop and maintains sales all year. The last report surpasses 3,5 million the Famitsu number was 2,5 million physical on March 22. Now the game was almost 2.7 Million in physical. Digital is 1,0+ million, estimates

The numbers go up after Momotaro in reports. 

https://twinfinite.net/2021/02/konami-financial-results-q3-2021/

So your claim lacks evidence in the reports ( and Konami doesn´t have the numbers discriminated). The domination of smartphones games ( Konami has the same number of games upcoming to smartphones and dedicated videogames)

and EFootball has okish performance, at a best. And big problems with the launch

https://clutchpoints.com/efootball-2022-review-scores/

Amusement was the big cow before Momotaro and Baseball 1 million/year on Switch and Ps4

Pachinko machines, arcades in hotels, etc. 

Last edited by Agente42 - on 21 August 2022

IcaroRibeiro said:
Shatts said:

If rolling out subpar hardware gives u money, Microsoft and Sony would be doing it would they not? Or is Sony and Microsoft not profit driven. 

Microsoft isn't 

If they were, they would have exited console market already 

There is some truth in what this guy is saying. Surely Nintendo hardware design is not focused on building mini PCs, but offering something else (motion controls, portabiltiy, etc) but this not prevents them to make a stronger hardware. Sony have released Vita when Nintendo was releasing 3DS, and Steam Deck was released against Switch

Nintendo could still doing their hardware philosophy without compromising any feature due to battery life or screen quality, but they won't do this because it would be cost-proibitive for them, they would need to sell at loss for years (perhaps most of the generation)

Now let's digress this discussion a bit:

Increasing hardware power is correlated with spending more to make software as there is a learning curve of how to design games for new hardware, plus more money to hire animators and artists to create models. Nintendo has a very small team compared to other big publishers and yet very dependent on their in house games, meaning software is their priority and main concern when launching a new console 

That's why I'm so curious to see how their they will handle 4K gaming development. Those kind of games generally take more time to develop and polish,  I see posts about Nintendo spanding organilly but Im always thinking "This is not enough". Their team sizes need to increase drastically if they want to increase the escape of their games as well as making better use of hardware capabilities to keep up with AAA development.

I'm inclined to believe that even with a more powerful console next gen Nintendo games will be basically Switch games in early PS4 levels of graphics, not a pronounced leap in expects, or in mechanics, or in world dimensions. Then I will be curious to see how market will respond. Will everyone be alright playing 2010-looking games in 2030? Or will the reception be more lukewarm? We shall see!

Nice insight, I didn't think about that

Nintendo honestly is in the bests position out of the three, they have something M$ and Sony don't. They have like 20 ip's that have been in the game for 20+ years and sell on namebrand alone.

我是广州人