By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Change title Only Western Developers are willing to Sell to either big 3, While Majority of Japanese don't care to sell to big 3

But Microsoft is the saviour of the gaming industry, the one who stands up against Sony is tyrannical gaming reign. Microsoft gave us gamepass and Phil. They are the hero the industry deserves and should defeat the evil demon lord called PlayStation. Next up it should enroll Japanese publishers in its battle against PlayStation and give gamepass to everyone.

Nintendo will do what Nintendo does in the meantime. Probably succeeding in doing what it does 2 out of 3 times and fail 2 out if 3 times. Perhaps they should buy Square though, just to mess with PlayStation and secure some great games.

*Obviously sarcasm and yes Nintendo and PlayStation should up their game mainly PlayStation since Nintendo does quite well at the moment. But a new Wii U or GameCube van always happen when they are too comfortable.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network

Nintendo doesn't acquire big companies just like that. They've said so already. They're growing organically by just growing their headcount and opening more studios. That's why they're getting a new building.

Konami is making most of it's profits from the Switch right now. I don't see why they would sell to Sony.
Capcom is not going to sell, no matter how much anyone wishes them to do so.
They are, just like Konami and Koei Tecmo, more successful right now then they've ever been before.
Koei Tecmo is privately owned afaik. Hard to see them wanting to sell.

I do wonder if buying so many stuff is going to be a wise move in the long run. With recession looming and entertaining companies having to cut down the fat, gobbling up so many studios might be a recipe for shut down projects and developers alike.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Qwark said:

But Microsoft is the saviour of the gaming industry, the one who stands up against Sony is tyrannical gaming reign. Microsoft gave us gamepass and Phil. They are the hero the industry deserves and should defeat the evil demon lord called PlayStation. Next up it should enroll Japanese publishers in its battle against PlayStation and give gamepass to everyone.

Nintendo will do what Nintendo does in the meantime. Probably succeeding in doing what it does 2 out of 3 times and fail 2 out if 3 times. Perhaps they should buy Square though, just to mess with PlayStation and secure some great games.

*Obviously sarcasm and yes Nintendo and PlayStation should up their game mainly PlayStation since Nintendo does quite well at the moment. But a new Wii U or GameCube van always happen when they are too comfortable.

I'm not a fan when a company fails, people say it's bcuz they were "comfortable" and I've seen a lot of ppl claim this. There is no such thing as being comfortable in the business world. Yes, there can be bad decisions, was PS3 a bad decision? Could be, the cons outweighed the pros. Was the Xbox One a bad decision? I wouldn't say so, but the Kinect surely was. It didn't have many first-party games and didn't sell well, but that's not bcuz they were "too comfortable". Xbox was never the biggest out of the three, and had pretty big operating losses, how can they be comfortable. Was the Wii U a bad decision? People would agree the marketing was, but the console and idea was one of Nintendo's best imo. The console itself wasn't bad, it's everything we needed, but everything else was terrible such as the timing. Most Wii U ports sells extremely well and are rated highly, that proves the quality wasn't issue. In fact, people only see the home console side, but Nintendo's strongest division was always the handheld side. If I had to pick, being comfortable is what Apple is doing for example, and what most gaming publishers are currently doing.

A short-term fail also doesn't correspond to a long-term fail. Such as the Wii U we just mentioned, the games ultimately sold well, the Wii U experience ultimately resulted in the success of the Switch. Think about it, the Switch is basically what they wanted to do with the Wii U. The original Xbox is also an example, Microsoft started off with huge losses, but I think them joining the gaming market was ultimately a good decision for Microsoft. People need to start thinking in different perspectives and with broader mindset.

Darwinianevolution said:

I do wonder if buying so many stuff is going to be a wise move in the long run. With recession looming and entertaining companies having to cut down the fat, gobbling up so many studios might be a recipe for shut down projects and developers alike.

I completely agree. I understand acquisitions are a hot topic rn in the gaming space, but ppl seem to be confused that acquisitions are always good, or it's a must. I've seen so many examples where acquisitions and mergers end up failing, especially in the gaming market. The reason being the significance of chemistry. Nintendo seems to understand this really well, they only acquire the bare minimum and ones they are already well connected with. They've probably also seen plenty of examples in their long history in the gaming space. With a recession predicted to come in the near future, entertainment industries are more likely to take a big hit. At that time, acquisitions wouldn't be a plus for these companies, it's just a risk. I know a lot of people like to make it seem like companies are dumb, and yes they can be. But there's a reason why the successful ones are succeeding. Sony and Nintendo for example, don't have the kind of money Tencent and Microsoft has. Embracer group hasn't proved to us that their decisions are a success. There isn't just one answer, there are multiple answers. We need to think bigger about the effects of things, think outside the box as they say. It's not that easy I'm sure. 

Last edited by Shatts - on 21 August 2022

Around the Network

Dream on if you think Nintendo will acquire anything of size. They care enormously about their profit/money if it wasn't evident enough to you based on their business strategies. 

Ever wonder why Nintendo hardware is always subpar? Read the above (so they can earn more profits per unit sold).  

Drakrami said:

Dream on if you think Nintendo will acquire anything of size. They care enormously about their profit/money if it wasn't evident enough to you based on their business strategies. 

Ever wonder why Nintendo hardware is always subpar? Read the above (so they can earn more profits per unit sold).  

It's not even a dream, it's just absurd thinking. I'm sure they can easily, they have a lot of money in stored. But one reason they keep them instead of investing is because of their tradition belief from Yamauchi. "The gaming market is risky, it's a business that can fail the next day. That's why we need a lot of money to keep challenging, keep trying new things, we need it for an emergency" They've said something close to this multiple times in their shareholder meeting as well I'm pretty sure. Now I partially agree with this and partially disagree. The gaming market and the world has drastically changed since when he was in charge. I think investing is just as important now, but that's one way of thinking. 

I disagree with ur mindset towards Nintendo hardware being subpar. It's because their belief is different to Sony's and Microsoft. Profit isn't the ultimate reasoning. It's because they knew since the Wii era that following the trend will not lead them to success. Look at the PS5 and the Xbox Series now, it's basically a mini pc. In order for consoles to have presence, Nintendo knew that they needed to do something different and unique. Iwata stated that multiple times. And I agree with this as well, ultimately the upgrade in graphics and performance will meet its end. There needs to be something new for the gaming market to keep thriving. Miyamoto has said this multiple times as well. In addition, Nintendo also realized whom their target audience was. This is really important in business. The GameCube proved that competing against Sony and Microsoft would meet their graves. Again, there isn't just one answer, there are multiple.

Shatts said:
Drakrami said:

It's not even a dream, it's just absurd thinking. I'm sure they can easily, they have a lot of money in stored. But one reason they keep them instead of investing is because of their tradition belief from Yamauchi. "The gaming market is risky, it's a business that can fail the next day. That's why we need a lot of money to keep challenging, keep trying new things, we need it for an emergency" They've said something close to this multiple times in their shareholder meeting as well I'm pretty sure. Now I partially agree with this and partially disagree. The gaming market and the world has drastically changed since when he was in charge. I think investing is just as important now, but that's one way of thinking. 

I disagree with ur mindset towards Nintendo hardware being subpar. It's because their belief is different to Sony's and Microsoft. Profit isn't the ultimate reasoning. It's because they knew since the Wii era that following the trend will not lead them to success. Look at the PS5 and the Xbox Series now, it's basically a mini pc. In order for consoles to have presence, Nintendo knew that they needed to do something different and unique. Iwata stated that multiple times. And I agree with this as well, ultimately the upgrade in graphics and performance will meet its end. There needs to be something new for the gaming market to keep thriving. Miyamoto has said this multiple times as well. In addition, Nintendo also realized whom their target audience was. This is really important in business. The GameCube proved that competing against Sony and Microsoft would meet their graves. Again, there isn't just one answer, there are multiple.

Money talks. Trust me, it's the reason why Nintendo is rolling out hardware that is not up to current day standards. You are still gaming 1080p on the Switch for a reason (we've had 4K console gaming for 6 years now) and cant play most current multiplat games. They save a lot on the manufacturing and make a profit, and that's why Nintendo has so much money lol. 

Just remember Microsoft bought Nokia

Drakrami said:
Shatts said:

Money talks. Trust me, it's the reason why Nintendo is rolling out hardware that is not up to current day standards. You are still gaming 1080p on the Switch for a reason (we've had 4K console gaming for 6 years now) and cant play most current multiplat games. They save a lot on the manufacturing and make a profit, and that's why Nintendo has so much money lol. 

Trust me I know lol. But like I said "Profit isn't the ultimate reasoning". You missed my nuance in the statement. If rolling out subpar hardware gives u money, Microsoft and Sony would be doing it would they not? Or is Sony and Microsoft not profit driven. Clearly they are, as they are also a business company. It's just a strategic decision, they can sell weaker hardware at a cheaper price with additional features to its targeted audience. It's not for the short-term profit, but it's for the longevity.