By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What’s your favorite fighting game series?

Tagged games:

#1 series in the fighting genre

Street Fighter (Marvel vs Capcom) 5 9.26%

Mortal Kombat 4 7.41%

Killer Instinct 2 3.70%

Tekken 8 14.81%

Soul Caliber 2 3.70%

Dead or Alive 1 1.85%

Guilty Gear 0 0%

The King of Fighters 2 3.70%

Virtua Fighter 17 31.48%

(Fine) Super Smash Bros 13 24.07%

Total:54

Just curious what is the best fighting game in your opinion. 

As you know, this genre was Huge! In the 90s. First 2D, then 3D fighters came out. Some 2D tried to go 3D. Only a few titles succeeded in letting you circle your opponent. Most are like 2.5D or whatever. 

in any case, they all offer something different. Whether it’s death, combos, graphical polish, jiggling breasts or all the above, what series do you consider the king of fighters?

Im going to leave smash bros off the poll because it’s nothing like the other competitors in the genre. Im sure it’s the most popular. I want to know your favorite besides smash. 

Around the Network

Street Fighter.

I never liked Mortal Kombat, I always thought about it as a series that relies on lots of blood and gore, but forgets about delivering a good gameplay.

Street fighter. I haven't played much since the ps1 and ps2 days but the flow and pace of the game just seemed to gel with me better than the tekkens, bloody roars, kof etc.

I didn't mind the Marvel vs capcom games either, were better for jumping on sometimes for a quick game or two, they always felt "easier" somehow.

KoF 94, 95, 96, 97 and 98 everyday at the arcades when I was 10-16. Now it's mainly tekken and a bit of street fighters, KoF and dead or alive

Not a big fighting game fan but I'm partial to Virtua Fighter. I like the depth, balance, and more down to earth style. Here's hoping for a 6th entry some time this decade.

Around the Network

I'm pretty casual and I like lot of them. Not sure I have a truly defined favorite series but I like almost anything from Capcom/SEGA and SNK in the 90s. I lean more towards Capcom stuff of the era. Tho I loved VF2 in arcades. I liked MK 1-3 and UMK3 after that it's major hit and miss. I think Arc atm is the best at the genre.  I like Smash for the rosters.

I think my fave might be Virtual On going by what I tend to gravitate towards. I'm not some expert player by any means but it has mechs ans those mechs have Saturns/Dreamcasts on their backs. Plus they play almost like an action game  with melee,grenades,shooting and specials but it's confinred to an arena.  I like VO so much I buy games that remind me of VO. Senko no Ronde 2 (which even has Temjin and Assault Suit Valken DLC) Frame Gride developed by From Software. ARMS by Nintendo. Gundam Versus and Maxiboost. Of course other enties in VO itself.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Tekken for sure. Lee main, but can play pretty much everyone. I like some MK as well, and dabble in others.

Now if we are talking classics, Star Gladiator is one of my favourite fighting games, plus MvC2 but then who doesn't love that?

Hmm, pie.

A bit funny that you've simply written Persona on the poll rather than Persona (4) Arena. Yep, a turn-based JRPG that's my kind of figthing game.

Anyways it's Smash Bros and not a close call. Soulcalibur comes in second, and I've only actually played the first, but it was quite solid.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

I played the shut out of SF2 and MK 1 and 2 back in the days.

KI 1 was clunky and I didn't like it, never played other entries.

I felt that Virtua Fighter was sluggish and clunky back in the days so I didn't like it, never played any other entries.

Only played DoA3 and that was OK, never played other entires.

I enjoyed King of the Monsters back in the day.

Art of Fighting and Fatal Fury where good series back in the days.

Tekken 3 was OK, never played any other entries.

I really liked SC2, never played any other entries.

But non of it is as fun and as good as SSB. SSB outshines all other fighting series both past and present. And it's even more fun to play casually with a group of friends with all items on. Playing it like the competitive scene 1 on 1 makes it just as mundane as most other fighting games but it's still better than all.

The competition might as well give up.

Kyuu said:

It flubs on many aspects but the core gameplay system remains excellent.

Out of interest, what do you mean?

I mean, love me the gameplay but always welcome to hear how it could improve. I for one, loved T6 but at the same time hated the bound mechanic.

Hmm, pie.