By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What’s your favorite fighting game series?

Tagged games:

#1 series in the fighting genre

Street Fighter (Marvel vs Capcom) 5 12.50%

Mortal Kombat 4 10.00%

Killer Instinct 2 5.00%

Tekken 8 20.00%

Soul Caliber 2 5.00%

Dead or Alive 1 2.50%

Guilty Gear 0 0%

The King of Fighters 2 5.00%

Virtua Fighter 3 7.50%

(Fine) Super Smash Bros 13 32.50%

Total:40

Tekken, Street Fighter and Dead or Alive for me. Soul Calibur II Link Edition is cool, too.

Around the Network

Street Fighter. I'm not a fan of 3D fighting games.

Loneken said:

Where is the King of fighters option?
That series is a clasic, Persona dont deserve to be in the poll.

I had originally put king of fighters and changed it to persona like a dummy. I just always here people talking about persona and thought it was popular or something. Anyway, fixed now. 

snyps said:
Loneken said:

Where is the King of fighters option?
That series is a clasic, Persona dont deserve to be in the poll.

I had originally put king of fighters and changed it to persona like a dummy. I just always here people talking about persona and thought it was popular or something. Anyway, fixed now. 

Persona games are RPGs. Only Persona 4 Arena, a spin off, is a fighting game.

*raises fists into the air*

MORTAL KOOOOOMBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
snyps said:

Persona games are RPGs. Only Persona 4 Arena, a spin off, is a fighting game.

I knew that. It’s a spin off of a spin off. Shin Megami Tensei

It’s not even a fighting “series” so it shouldn’t have been up there in the first place. KoF definitely deserved its spot

The Fury said:
Kyuu said:

It's mostly Tekken 7.

The story and characters are forgettable, the graphics are hideous imo, the soundtracks make my ears bleed (oh how I miss you Tekken 3), Rage Arts and Wall Bounce/Screw should be discarded, combos should be shorter, 14 character locked behind a paywall you can't even learn the matchup without paying a fortune, and balance issues.

Bamco has to pay special attention to the feedback of 10 representatives from a number of regions to help balance out the game more efficiently, framedata changes should be less frequent but more meaningful and actually address the complaints (although this one is complicated because top players disagree on several things), crossplay and rollback netcode should be implemented, input lag on PS4 needs to improve, Hurt/Hitbox detection needs improvements and adjustments to reduce the amount/frequency of mid-crushing moves and prevent these sort of situations:

What a list, and agree with many. Wall bounce update is about when I started playing less and similar issues with pay wall characters too, as Geese and Noctis were appearing a lot more in my games and not knowing their patterns was harder to play against. I mean I had 25 years of experience vs Lei so him I can deal with.

Alas, we aren't in the PS3 era where Harada had budget out the arse and said all DLC characters in Tag 2 were free because they were already included in the budget, this is DLC 'season' updates era of fighting games now. 1 game per gen and DLC characters per year, instead of 2 or 3  games with all characters included.

Oddly, means I spend less on the games because they choose to cater for those who are dedicated enough to buy all DLC characters when if they released 2 games I'd buy both games. :P

Crossplay did exist between PC and PS4.

And ha, yeah, I'd rage quit that. Law players and their stagger kick were so easy to dodge but the counter to it would sometimes miss, which was annoying.

Didn't know it had crossplay, any idea why they removed it?

Soul Blade vs Tekken 7 makes for an interesting comparison. Tekken 7 has the better core gameplay system even within the context of their time. But Soul Blade imo blows it out of the water in virtually every other area. It was magical, fresh, and awe inspiring. The opening included in the PS1 demo blew my mind and literally inspired my brother to become a writer. Then I got the game and was floored by the facial animations "OMG MOVING LIPS!" (Faces in every 3D game I played before it were static textures lol).

Characters back then had their own themes and stages assigned to them which brought out their personalities better than any Tekken 7 scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wh_f0vEK0M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY5j74JiQ-Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAsb5YjnfCk

15~ cousins, girls and boys, 8 to 20 years old... surrounding a rented PS1 and rotating to unlock Tekken 3 characters and their endings. No internet, no toxicity, limited access to guides, just bathing in exploration bliss without a care in the world other than the precious remaining hours we had before sending the PS1 back to the game centre. Nothing can bring this joy back.

A Tekken 3 hype theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZNIDJoCbYk

You're playing Julia and an arranged version pops outta nowhere to hype-slap you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjZpz4wo5BI

A Tekken 7 "hype" theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmbas8J7fOc

MY FUCKING EARS! (To be fair it does have a few decent OST's :P)

I hope Tekken 8 addresses most complaints now that the budget is limitless again thanks to the surprising success of Tekken 7 (I can tolerate DLC characters if the rest of it is significantly improved), I still don't quite understand how it succeeded after the superior Tag 2 bombed hard, but I am glad it did. Just reboot the series, hire better writers, redo the animations and maybe give it a distinct artstyle. Hopefully they're done recycling Tekken 6 but I'm not holding my breath.

Kyuu said:

Didn't know it had crossplay, any idea why they removed it?

I hope Tekken 8 addresses most complaints now that the budget is limitless again thanks to the surprising success of Tekken 7 (I can tolerate DLC characters if the rest of it is significantly improved), I still don't quite understand how it succeeded after the superior Tag 2 bombed hard, but I am glad it did. Just reboot the series, hire better writers, redo the animations and maybe give it a distinct artstyle. Hopefully they're done recycling Tekken 6 but I'm not holding my breath.

I was mistaken, confusing it with SF5 which did have it. I remember now that Harada didn't add it as he was afraid of PC cheaters, or that was the excuse anyway.

Tag 2 was... okay. I mean I thought the bound mechanic in it, enhanced for tag gameplay, was a mess, you could remove like 75% of someone's hp in one combo. T7 was more in line with 5, less on the juggling and more on good positioning and counters. The rage arts this time being a single special move, more fitting with other fighters at the moment.

However, what 6 had that kept me playing was the customisation, the 'story' mode and Team Battle (so I could play with friends). T7 had none of that. Customisation was pants, there was no story to unlike loads of variations of items and no team battle, big let down even if I preferred the gameplay of 7 over tag 2.

Hmm, pie.

Not that much into fighters, they come and go for me really, and I like the ones I like, or have liked in the past about equal and if I'd rank them it'd be arbitrary. They are SoulCalibur, Tekken, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat and Super Smash Bros. Yeah I know, pretty much only the mainstream ones. I don't nearly have every one of the games in those series, and for some I have only had a single one though, like Tekken. Even for Smash I only have every other game; the original, Brawl and Ultimate.

Of those I'd say Mortal Kombat and SoulCalibur stand a bit above the others however, and since a SoulCalibur game has consistently been the highest entry in my top 50 of all-time list, I'll vote for SoulCalibur.

I do not play Fighting games much so I don't have much choice but to put Smash as my favorite 🤣

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909