By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What’s your favorite fighting game series?

Tagged games:

#1 series in the fighting genre

Street Fighter (Marvel vs Capcom) 5 12.50%

Mortal Kombat 4 10.00%

Killer Instinct 2 5.00%

Tekken 8 20.00%

Soul Caliber 2 5.00%

Dead or Alive 1 2.50%

Guilty Gear 0 0%

The King of Fighters 2 5.00%

Virtua Fighter 3 7.50%

(Fine) Super Smash Bros 13 32.50%

Total:40

I played the shut out of SF2 and MK 1 and 2 back in the days.

KI 1 was clunky and I didn't like it, never played other entries.

I felt that Virtua Fighter was sluggish and clunky back in the days so I didn't like it, never played any other entries.

Only played DoA3 and that was OK, never played other entires.

I enjoyed King of the Monsters back in the day.

Art of Fighting and Fatal Fury where good series back in the days.

Tekken 3 was OK, never played any other entries.

I really liked SC2, never played any other entries.

But non of it is as fun and as good as SSB. SSB outshines all other fighting series both past and present. And it's even more fun to play casually with a group of friends with all items on. Playing it like the competitive scene 1 on 1 makes it just as mundane as most other fighting games but it's still better than all.

The competition might as well give up.

Around the Network
Kyuu said:

It flubs on many aspects but the core gameplay system remains excellent.

Out of interest, what do you mean?

I mean, love me the gameplay but always welcome to hear how it could improve. I for one, loved T6 but at the same time hated the bound mechanic.

Hmm, pie.

Tekken, followed by Soul Calibur and Smash Bros. Generally always preferred 3D fighting games to 2D ones, though I still like a lot of them as well.

1. The King of Fighters
2. Tekken
3. Guilty Gear
4. Dead or Alive
5. Samurai Shodown
6. Street Fighter
7. Marvel vs. Capcom
8. Super Smash Bros.
9. BlazBlue
10. Soulcalibur

Smash Bros. The only one I genuinely love.
Played a few hours of Mortal Kombat 11 but all of these overly complicated combos just aren't my thing. Couldn't really get into it.
Played some Pókken Tournament DX and ARMS when they had free trials through NSO. I liked both and had some fun but neither compare to the fun I have with Smash Ultimate.
Haven't played much else in the genre and probably won't either.

Around the Network

I haven't been much of a fighting fan since the snes. I enjoyed Mortal Kombat 1-Trilogy, Street fighter 2 games, and Killer Instinct 1/Gold. I'll dabble with the occasional fighter if it's free on ps+ or an extra game on a game I'm playing like Virtua Fighter games on Yakuza/Judgment games. I'll play Smash with friends and family, but I don't really enjoy it, I just kind of push buttons. I"ll go with Mortal Kombat, although I didn't enjoy the 3d ones ones on the ps2.

Where is the King of fighters option?
That series is a clasic, Persona dont deserve to be in the poll.

The Fury said:
Kyuu said:

It flubs on many aspects but the core gameplay system remains excellent.

Out of interest, what do you mean?

I mean, love me the gameplay but always welcome to hear how it could improve. I for one, loved T6 but at the same time hated the bound mechanic.

It's mostly Tekken 7.

The story and characters are forgettable, the graphics are hideous imo, the soundtracks make my ears bleed (oh how I miss you Tekken 3), Rage Arts and Wall Bounce/Screw should be discarded, combos should be shorter, 14 character locked behind a paywall you can't even learn the matchup without paying a fortune, and balance issues.

Bamco has to pay special attention to the feedback of 10 representatives from a number of regions to help balance out the game more efficiently, framedata changes should be less frequent but more meaningful and actually address the complaints (although this one is complicated because top players disagree on several things), crossplay and rollback netcode should be implemented, input lag on PS4 needs to improve, Hurt/Hitbox detection needs improvements and adjustments to reduce the amount/frequency of mid-crushing moves and prevent these sort of situations:

lol.

Kyuu said:

It's mostly Tekken 7.

The story and characters are forgettable, the graphics are hideous imo, the soundtracks make my ears bleed (oh how I miss you Tekken 3), Rage Arts and Wall Bounce/Screw should be discarded, combos should be shorter, 14 character locked behind a paywall you can't even learn the matchup without paying a fortune, and balance issues.

Bamco has to pay special attention to the feedback of 10 representatives from a number of regions to help balance out the game more efficiently, framedata changes should be less frequent but more meaningful and actually address the complaints (although this one is complicated because top players disagree on several things), crossplay and rollback netcode should be implemented, input lag on PS4 needs to improve, Hurt/Hitbox detection needs improvements and adjustments to reduce the amount/frequency of mid-crushing moves and prevent these sort of situations:

What a list, and agree with many. Wall bounce update is about when I started playing less and similar issues with pay wall characters too, as Geese and Noctis were appearing a lot more in my games and not knowing their patterns was harder to play against. I mean I had 25 years of experience vs Lei so him I can deal with.

Alas, we aren't in the PS3 era where Harada had budget out the arse and said all DLC characters in Tag 2 were free because they were already included in the budget, this is DLC 'season' updates era of fighting games now. 1 game per gen and DLC characters per year, instead of 2 or 3  games with all characters included.

Oddly, means I spend less on the games because they choose to cater for those who are dedicated enough to buy all DLC characters when if they released 2 games I'd buy both games. :P

Crossplay did exist between PC and PS4.

And ha, yeah, I'd rage quit that. Law players and their stagger kick were so easy to dodge but the counter to it would sometimes miss, which was annoying.

Hmm, pie.

I played a ton of Street Fighter 2 back on the SNES. But after Smash Bros came out, all other fighters were ruined for me. Smash Bros is just that much better. I just love the simplification of the special moves. Just B and a direction is great. Let's you actually focus on the fighting. In Street Fighter, Zangief is a cool character, but so many of his moves are just impossible to pull off.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
Switch - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (2014/2017)
3DS - Pushmo (2011)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links