By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why High Graphics and Realistic games sucks

This discussion has actually been around since the 1970s. It's usually phrased: "graphics are not as important as gameplay".

Around the Network

Nope. If you think so, you're entitled to your own opinion, but that's all it is.

I tend to find photorealism fairly unappealing, especially since games using it are mostly using realistic settings.

That said, just step or two away from it, to stylized realism, preferably with elements from surrealism, and that is my sweet spot for VG presentation.

I don't mind realism style where it fits, but when the HD era started in mid 2000s I needed time to get used to the details in games, they were distracting me, and I thought they were mostly pointless. I cringe at the Resi4 remake, I think the original is almost perfect in every way, shiny modern grafix won't make it any better for me, I prefer the clean grafix style of that era.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

I think you confuse a game looking realistic to it also being bound by real world physics. This is a problem I have with Sim games. Cars, sports, farming and whatever other thing that trying to be as close as possible to what we do now. That for sure is the death of creativity.

But you put in monsters, crazy weapons, superpowers, crazy mechs, space travel, rpg mechanics and anything that makes gameplay gar from trying to be in a normal world and the graphics won't impeded your creativity.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network

Shatts, where have you been all of my life? Yes, the game industry is too obsessed with producing cutting edge graphics. The cost of this is so high now, that they end up cutting corners in other areas like gameplay. Getting the most high end graphics is just not worth it anymore.

Prettiest game ever made is Wind Waker HD.

This could be copy pasta from 20 years ago.

Usually it just boils down to people saying "I only like this style so people who like another style are wrong."

HoloDust said:

I tend to find photorealism fairly unappealing, especially since games using it are mostly using realistic settings.

That said, just step or two away from it, to stylized realism, preferably with elements from surrealism, and that is my sweet spot for VG presentation.

Dito

The "graphics at the expense of gameplay" dichotomy, is false for the most part. Visual presentation and gameplay mechanics design are two different jobs done by different people actually. It could make sense for low budget games with limited amount of staff, but in that case, what cutting edge graphics technology could you afford?