By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are the dumbest story twists in video games? (spoilers)

I can name a dozen but for the threads sake I will only name 2 and the story twist in SPOILER TAGS.

Gone Home. The game advertised and sold itself a horror game. I wanted to play a horror game. What I got was a mundane walking sim in a house about

Spoiler!
Your sister is a lesbian and ran away

Bionic Commando 2009. Back when Capcom was doing all these shitty gritty reboots like DmC, Bionic Commando and such. Our main hereo white guy with dreads with robot arm is looking for his wife.

Spoiler!
Your wife is your robot arm

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Everything in the TLou 2.

Kingdom Hearts. The whole story since Birth by Sleep.

Mar1217 said:
Vodacixi said:

Kingdom Hearts. The whole story since Birth by Sleep.

Moreso what happens when you don't plan out your story accordingly. So much of it has been just made along the way to see what sticks and what doesn't.

True. And also this stupid shonen tendency to trivialize and nulify death. There are so many great emotional moments with plenty of meaning in KH1, KH2, CoM and Days... But they are forever ruined with the more recent games thanks to Nomura and his wish to bring everyone back and let them have a happy ending.

And in part, this also causes what you mentioned: KH3 story feels like a mess because all of these reunions feel like they are coming out of nowhere. They wanted us to feel happy for the characters... But everything felt so wrong xD

It wouldn't be so much of a problem if we were talking about one character, an exception. But we are talking about a crap ton of characters. Which again ties with your observation: they just kept doing games and creating characters without thinking where the story was going. And when they decided to wrap it up... They just couldn't do it in any decent way. 

Most any game where a character wears a mask and they turn out to actually be someone from the protagonist's past. Bonus points if said protagonist has spent the game loudly searching for said person. The prime example that comes to mind for me is RE5.

Around the Network

MGS 2 also had a ridiculous story.

Star Ocean 3

Spoiler!
None of it happened. It was just a simulation

Final Fantasy X

Spoiler!
Tidus wasn't real

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Metroid other M

A confused pubescent Samus has the emotional range of a droid packed with some kind of daddy issue.

Spoiler!
The big cheese, a little project manager, turns out to be an actual android with Mother Brain’s AI.

Last edited by snyps - on 10 July 2022

Resident evil code veronica

Final Fantasy VIII:

Spoiler!
They find out all of a sudden that every playable character except Rinoa grew up together at an orphanage run by the game's main villain up to that point, and they all forgot about it except Irvine because of amnesia from the GFs.