By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you see games as pieces of art? *potential spoilers*

Are games a type of art?

Yes 37 68.52%

No 11 20.37%

Undecided 5 9.26%

Just want to see the results 1 1.85%

Total:54

The main point of contention really is if something that doesn't have any real deep meaning or anything like that and instead is made solely for fun/entertainment can be considered art. Video games like that probably make up a higher percentage of the medium compared to other ones like literature and film so when looking at the medium as a whole that's something to consider for those with relatively strict definitions of what constitutes art. For individual creations though it's of course really unreasonable to say that none of them are art. I haven't really put much thought into what is art so will just look at stuff individually.

Last edited by Norion - on 15 June 2022

Around the Network

Is seeing a speedrun or doing impossible combos only the 1% out of 99% could do or just 1 player can do like this art? BTW I'm the only player that can do these so lower than 1% more like only player :) and several other combos but i'll just post these 2 

When I multi jump and cross combo this beauty I'm the only orie main to do this.

When I broke Soul Calibur 6 by input precision glitching I'm the only player to ever do this

Last edited by SegaHeart - on 15 June 2022

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.

Nope. Art is the stuff people pretend to like to feel superior to others.

I actually enjoy games and I don't particularly care what others think.

JWeinCom said:

I've yet to be presented with a coherent definition of what art is, so I don't know. The thing that might sort of weigh against it is the need for functionality and being fun (generally) that isn't really applicable to other potential art forms.

For instance Mario Galaxy 2 which is my favorite game. Is it art? I dunno. The music is certainly art, the visuals are art, maybe the story is art. But the gameplay which is the core part of the experience? That's iffy. So I don't really know if you could call the whole product a work of art.

In games there are two artists (so to speak). The creator of the objects, sounds, and story; and the player who skillfully performs feats that other players cannot. 

The same way Michael Jordon was an artist on the court, or Bruce Lee displayed mastery of martial arts; someone who expresses in a way that causes an emotional reaction of awe and wonder is an artist. 

Ka-pi96 said:

Nope. Art is the stuff people pretend to like to feel superior to others.

I actually enjoy games and I don't particularly care what others think.

Dou think people pretend to like music ?

Around the Network

As per Sturgeon's Law "90 percent of everything is crap", but some games are indeed art.

I find this Chun li playstyle to be art, I never seen such an amazing Chun Li on Street Fighter 2 like this guy he avenged all Chun Li players from Goromax in street fighter 2 but in this video he goes 300% in rank unseen footage of his untouched mastery of Chun Li playstle his name is Chun Li Onlyfans watch first 10 minutes he'll make you sweet if you met him online in stret fighter 2 start from 4:48 mark Chun Li won 7 matches while blanka won 6 matches in video below end of video

Last edited by SegaHeart - on 15 June 2022

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.

I liken games to TV and film in this regard. There's stuff that you only go in for simple entertainment and then there's stuff that is truly beautiful and/or thought provoking as well. If TV and film can be art, so can games.

Almost every aspect of what is traditionally considered art can be represented in video games.
Paintings, poems, sculptures, music, stories ect. is all things that can be added to games. Basically the only type of art missing is thing that uses physical touch, smell or taste in its art form.

But not all games are art the same way that not all paintings are art. I think the deciding factor is the ability to create feelings in the consumer of the art.

BasilZero said:

Nope - just pieces for my entertainment.

Same.

the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.

Games aren't "primarily" appreciated for their graphics or emotions.  The primary focus for me is gameplay.  So a big no from me.

Having art elements, which games have, doesn't make them art.  I can appreciate a pretty car or fishing reel...  but function takes it from art and makes it something else.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 15 June 2022