By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's your favorite home console of the early video game age?

What's your favorite home console of the early video game age?

Magnavox Odyssey 8 2.17%

Atari 2600 256 69.38%

Magnavox Odyssey 2 7 1.90%

Intellivision 20 5.42%

Colecovision 32 8.67%

Atari 5200 28 7.59%

Vectrex 18 4.88%

Total:369

I picked the 2600.

1. Yars' Revenge
2. Solaris
3. StarMaster
4. Stargate
5. Centipede

Next poll needs to be about favorite early computer systems like the Atari 8-bit, the C64, Apple ][, ZX Spectrum, etc.

Around the Network

Atari 2600 for me. My family had one when I was very young, and my earliest video game memories are with that console. Of the others, I'd played on a Colecovision, Intellivision, and Atari 5200, but never owned any of them.

Top 5 Atari 2600 games:
- Warlords
- Berzerk
- Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back
- Pitfall
- Barnstorming

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

Outside of gaming channels I’ve never seen a working system outside of the Atari 2600 on this list. Even the 2600 was something of a rarity with just a handful of friends owning one. I somehow ended up with one, but never had a ton of games for it. Pitfall 2 was by far my favorite, though.

I had an Atari 2600 and really back then I did not enjoy videogames. I didn't really start loving games until the NES. Basically those old games didn't have levels, just changed color or enemy speed, no real ending (just high score). I never got the point. The NES is when gaming started having clear levels with a defined goal, which is what hooked me. So I vote none, they were all meh.

Colecovision, because that's the one I had on that list.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

Wow, looks like I'm the first person to vote for the Colecovision.  It was my first home console.  I had played Atari 2600 at others houses, and my grandfather had an Intellivision.  To me, the Colecovision blew the others away.  

Top 5
B.C.'s Quest for Tires
Bump 'n' Jump
Mr. Do
Venture
Donkey Kong Jr

Was hard for me to narrow down a Top 5.  I tried to base it on what I played the most, and still enjoy playing from time to time.  I put Donkey Kong Jr on the list even though Donkey Kong was considered Colecovision's "Killer App", probably because I'm a bit better at DK Jr and so enjoy that one a bit more.  My older brother's favorite game was Zaxxon, and my father's favorite was Carnival.  Other games I spent a lot of time with were Smurf's Rescue in Gargamel's Castle, Q*bert, Gateway to Apshai, Lady Bug, Cosmic Avenger, Mouse Trap, Pitfall, Popeye, Tapper, & Spacy Fury.

I've spent some of my time improving the ColecoVision section of VGChartz' game database, submitting Release info, Box Art, Summaries, and Screenshots.  Will continue to do so whenever I have time.

Only played on a Atari 2600 which was my parents/family console, so probably that.

Top 5
Missile Command
Asteroids
Space Invaders
Moon Patrol
Pong

Atari 2600 since I didn't play the rest.

Pong, Asteroids, Pac-Man, Space Invaders, Q*Bert, Atlantis, Frogger, Jungle Hunt, Defender, Pitfall, Moon Patrol, Pole Position

Atari 2600 is the obvious choice. (The maker of the poll should consider adding the C64 and Apple II.) The 2600 was far more popular than any other system on the list. There were several games that I really loved playing on it back when it was a current system. However, the only game from it that I still play is Adventure, and even then there are plenty of NES games that I return to more often than Adventure.

Here is what I would like to impress on people who are too young to have experienced these earlier eras of gaming. The NES really was the pinnacle of gaming, and it redefined everything. I really loved Pitfall back on the Atari 2600, and it was the best selling game out of the "good" Atari games. However, Super Mario Bros totally blows away Pitfall. Even if both games were updated with the best graphics possible, SMB would still blow away Pitfall, and SMB 3 would also blow away SMB 1. It wasn't just the technology that improved on the NES, it was game design that improved. Similarly, The Legend of Zelda is far beyond Adventure (even though I occasionally play Adventure because it has a good randomizer). However, I also think Zelda 1 and SMB 3 are the peaks of these series. Game design did not substantially improve after the NES. It has changed a lot, but I can't say it is objectively better in most cases. But SMB is objectively better than Pitfall. Like if 100 people played both games cold, at leasat 95 would choose SMB. It's just that much better.

Anyway, here are my favorite Atari 2600 games from back when it was current:

1. Adventure
2. H.E.R.O.
3. Pitfall
4. Donkey Kong
5. Space Invaders

My love for games was born in the arcades and except for Space Invaders and a couple of other exceptions, the 2600's ports were lackluster and often atrocious. While I do give it credit for original titles at the time like Pitfall and Adventure, I never wanted one and just found myself back in the arcades plopping in quarters.

It wasn't until Colecovision that I could actually play great arcade ports at home that were leaps and bounds better than anything on the 2600 or Intellivision (hadn't played a 5200 yet). Centipede, Gorf, Galaxian, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr, Q*Bert... so many great arcade titles. I still never had one and I didn't like the controller, but none of the home console controllers were good to me until the NES. Needless to say, Colecovision gets my vote.

Top 5 Colecovison games:

1. Frogger
2. Burgertime
3. Galaxian
4. Donkey Kong Jr
5. Donkey Kong

Last edited by archbrix - on 08 June 2022